What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George v Manly

The Damo

Juniors
Crush, I am really delighted to be able to congratulate you on your pre-game confidence and that of others like Blood Shot Eyes. But I can assure you I am just as happy to dissect a good result as much as a poor one. I am sure that goes for a lot of others on the Forum. Yes, after awhile, you can pick up the names of those who just like to have a whinge but then you can easily skip their posts.

I have been out of the country for 7 weeks with internet so poor I have not even had vision of the highlights packages in that time. But miraculously today I could pick up the replays of some of the tries scored through the Sydney MH website. However I continue to rely on the Forum to gain a better understanding of the team's performance.

I am positively thrilled by what I can gather of Matt Dufty's performance. I have watched his highlights reel many times, have seen him play 4-5 games in U/20s and a similar number this year in NSW Cup before I left the country. The step up to NSW Cup has meant he doesn't get the latitude to run the length of the field to score like in the 20s. But I have seen him play like Boyd used to, setting up his outside players in a way Dugan can't. And he has the ability to slice through a hole. I gather he showed some of these attributes today.

I never make a claim to expertise in rugby league. I am a Dragons fanatic and not a rugby league strategist. I was a rugby player in my youth and only played a couple of games of league. So I do feel entitled to ask, if it has been so easy for me and others to observe Dufty's qualities how blind is Mary who has the boy at training 5 or 6 days/week and must have seen him play countless times?
I wish Dufty had been played earlier, and he may well have been just as good. But credit where it's due - that's a hypothetical. The reality is Dufty got picked at fullback, played 80, had a blinder. He was definitely ready now. We'll never know if he was ready 6 weeks ago.

Gareth67

First Grade
I wish Dufty had been played earlier, and he may well have been just as good. But credit where it's due - that's a hypothetical. The reality is Dufty got picked at fullback, played 80, had a blinder. He was definitely ready now. We'll never know if he was ready 6 weeks ago.

I am sure that he would had been Damo . It was a case of the coach either having enough confidence in his younger players ( as the majority of other coaches do ) or being placed in a position with injuries , whereby he has no option , other then to play them .

However as you have said , it is all hypothetical now , the young bloke rose to the occasion and done himself and the team proud .

Drakon

Juniors
Leeson is also very secure with the football. No-one makes Leeson drop the ball. There was an occasion today where I was shocked when I thought he'd lost the ball but then the ref blew a penalty for stripping. Very solid player who plays a very important role.

getsmarty

Immortal
Penshurst RSL junior Matt Dufty stars on NRL debut as St George Illawarra Dragons thrash Manly Sea Eagles 52-22
Andrew Parkinson
23 Jul 2017, 4 p.m.
r0_0_3810_2138_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Good start: Tim Lafai scores St George Illawarra's second try in their 30-point romp over Manly in Wollongong on Sunday. Picture: Craig Golding/AAP

It has been a long time coming but finally, a star is born.

Matt Dufty starred on his NRL debut as St George Illawarra got their season back on track after thrashing Manly 52-22 on Sunday.

The Dragons had plenty to play for, knowing a loss would have had them slip to the edge of the top eight. They were also without star fullback Josh Dugan with a hamstring strain and lost back-rower Joel Thompson in the warm-up with an ankle injury.

But St George Illawarra rose to the challenge, running in five first half tries in Wollongong to blow away the Sea Eagles to lead 30-0 at the break.

The Dragons looked to be cruising towards their 10th win of the season before Manly briefly breathed life back into the contest. Four quick tries to the Sea Eagles had them trailing 30-22 midway through the second half before St George Illawarra eventually killed the game, scoring a half century of points for the first time in more than a decade.

On debut! Makes it a half century for the @NRL_Dragons.#NRLDragonsManly#NRLpic.twitter.com/E1zx7U3Hsd

— NRL (@NRL) July 23, 2017
Manly themselves were decimated. Already without Api Koroisau (calf), Matthew Wright (hip), Jorge Taufua (knee) and Curtis Sironen (pectoral), Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett decided to rest five-eighth Blake Green and prop Brenton Lawrence. It appeared a strange decision given Manly have tough games against Melbourne and the Sydney Roosters in the next fortnight.

Not that the Dragons will care, as Dugan’s absence allowed former Holden Cup star Dufty to make his first start in the top grade at fullback.

The Penshurst RSL junior was at his electric, elusive best, helping set up two tries before icing the game in the closing seconds with his first NRL try.

The Dragons got off to a good start when Jason Nightingale and Tim Lafai scored from Gareth Widdop kicks. Then, with Manly on the attack, Widdop produced an intercept from a Daly Cherry-Evans pass to run 90 metres untouched to score.

There are no words to describe this game...

So we'll use an emoji: :flushed:#NRLDragonsManly 46-22 with 13 minutes to go.#WomenInLeague#NRLpic.twitter.com/0d3DbjVW1J

St George Illawarra had their third try from a kick four minutes later, this time with Nene Macdonald climbing above Brad Parker to knock the ball back for Euan Aitken to score.

The Dragons weren’t done, with a Widdop 40-20 giving them more possession which saw Jacob Host crash over from the ensuing set to give the red V an unassailable-looking half-time lead.

Credit to Manly, they refused to put the cue in the rack and had Dragons fans at WIN Stadium more than a little nervous as they flew out of the blocks in the second half.

Dylan Walker scored in the second minute before Darcy Lussick was sent to the sin bin for throwing a punch at Jack de Belin after a minor scuffle with Cherry-Evans. That incident seemed to spark Manly as the Sea Eagles ran in three quick tries through Joey Lussick, Jake Trbojevic and Akuila Uate with Darcy Lussick still off the field.

And @garethwiddop goes 90m!#NRLDragonsManly 18-0 after 27 minutes. #NRLpic.twitter.com/KDbYyynMFS

But just when Manly looked like they might finish over the top of the Dragons, Lussick returned to the field – and normal service resumed. Paul Vaughan charged over after excellent work from Dufty before the 21-year-old threw the last pass for Nightingale to cross for his second try.

Aitken also grabbed his double before Dufty scored the first of what could be many NRL tries, fending off Martin Taupau before holding off Tom Trbojevic to race 35m to send the Dragons fans home with smiles on their faces.

Leader Scoreboard

St George Illawarra Dragons 52 (Jason Nightingale two, Euan Aitken two, Tim Lafai, Gareth Widdop, Jacob Host, Paul Vaughan, Matt Dufty tries. Gareth Widdop eight goals)

defeated

Manly Sea Eagles 22 (Dylan Walker, Joey Lussick, Jake Trbojevic, Akuila Uate tries. Daly Cherry-Evans two, Jackson Hastings goals)

at WIN Stadium, Woolongong

Crowd: 16,883

Leader man of the match: Gareth Widdop (Dragons)

Dragons’ next three: Knights (away), Rabbitohs (home), Titans (home)

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4...star-is-born-as-dragons-thrash-manly/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons post biggest score of the season in Manly rout

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

23 Jul 2017, 2:05 p.m.
ST GEORGE Illawarra’s finals charge is back on in earnest after a stunning first-half display en route to a 52-22 win over Manly at WIN Stadium on Sunday.

On a day where defence took a back seat, the Dragons produced a near perfect opening stanza, piling on five tries to lead by 30 at the half.

r0_0_5184_3456_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FOUR-POINTER: Jacob Host celebrates his first-half try in the Dragons 52-22 win over Manly on Sunday. Picture: Sylvia Liber

It came on the back of Gareth Widdop masterclass with the Dragons skipper laying on two tries, scoring one of his own and kicking a perfect five from five for a personal haul of 14 points at the interval.

The buffer quickly evaporated with the Sea Eagles piling on four tries in the 14 minutes after the resumption before the hosts regrouped and saw out just their fourth win in their past 11 games.

It made for some nervous moments but coach Paul McGregor was pleased with his side’s effort in wresting back momentum.

“We’ve just got to learn to slow down and pull it back a little bit and re-group quicker when something doesn’t go our way,” Dragons coach Paul McGregor said of the Eagles comeback.

“We won the first half quite comfortably and we drew the second. I said to the boys are our best is ‘the best’ and our worst is ‘the worst’ so we’ve just got to close that gap in between and just a bit of self-belief at times.

“Sometimes when the score-line’s like that you can take your foot off the accelerator a touch and back off and that may have happened.

“I’m just excited about winning again and to put 50 points on any team is exceptional. We said last week we wanted to build on our performances going into the back-end of the year with everyone back. It was certainly a good sign today.”

Matt Dufty also debuted at fullback after Josh Dugan was scratched on Friday with a hamstring injury and, in a potential look to the future, had two try assists and a late try in strong first-up display.

“He’s the third guy that came through our 20s system to debut this year,” McGregor said.

“We had lot of experience there today so it was a good time to make his debut at home. He showed what he’s got, he’s got the ability to burn people with speed and he’s got a really nice to catch and pass.

“He’s strength is a little bit deceptive as well. Because he’s got that speed to get away from people so I thought it was a good solid debut.”

Both sides had some pre-game disruptions, with Manly coach Trent Barrett “resting” five-eighth Blake Green and prop Brenton Lawrence, while the Dragons lost Joel Thompson to an ankle injury in the warm-up.

It saw Jacob Host start the match and Blake Lawrie brought onto the bench a day after playing with the Steelers at Penrith on Saturday.

It did nothing to disrupt their rhythm, with the hosts shooting out of the blocks, completing 20 of 22 sets and running for a combined 1126 metres by the break.

It was a sluggish start from the visitors that coach Trent Barrett labeled “embarrassing” in the aftermath.

“With that score-line it was an NYC standard game,” Barrett said.

“30-0 [in the first half], 22-all [in the second] that’s just not up to scratch. We were down on troops but that’s no excuse to be down 30-0 at halftime.

“It was a gallant effort to get back within eight points. It would’ve been a miraculous win to come home from there, and we put ourselves in a position to do it, but it doesn’t make it easier for me to sit here and watch that.

“I’m embarrassed, the players are embarrassed. I’m accountable to it just as much as the players and we’ve got to fix it because we’ve got to go to Melbourne next week.”

Nightingale opened the scoring in the eight minute after Manly defence gave him free passage on a Josh McCrone kick with Widdop’s conversion giving his side an early 6-0 lead.

Nightingale had an air-swing at a Widdop kick on his next attempt but Tim Lafai was on hand for the scraps and the second try of the afternoon.

Widdop nailed the sideline conversion to extend the lead to 12 after 16 minutes and pushed it out to 18 when he latched onto a Cherry Evans pass and raced 80 metres to score.

The lead swelled further when Nene Macdonald batted down a kick from McCrone for Euan Aitken to cross in the western corner.

Widdop was in the action again when he put Jacob Host across from close range to extend the margin to 30.

The Sea Eagles drew first blood after the resumption through Dylan Walker to peg back the margin.

Darcy Lussick’s sin-binning for punching Jack de Belin took the sting out of their momentum but it swung back quickly when brother Joey crossed from dummy-half to cut the margin back to 18.

The game was well and truly back on when Jackson Hastings crossed from close range minutes later and the Dragons advantage had all but evaporated when Akuila Uate plucked a Cherry Evan kick out of the air for his side’s fourth try.

Paul Vaughan re-took the ascendancy for his side, stemming the flow of Manly points with a try from close range to push margin back out to 14 with 20 minutes to play.

Nightingale scored his second with an assist from Dufty to take his side’s tally to 40 and when Aitken also notched his double the Dragons had their highest score for the season.

Dufty rounded out the scoring late in the match for a final score of 52-22.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-in-form-after-first-half-demolition/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Points galore as Dragons thump Manly
Sun 23 Jul, 2017, 3:52pm
By Martin Gabor, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com
@MartinJGabor

image.ashx

The Dragons have survived a ferocious second-half fightback to defeat the Sea Eagles 52-22 in a huge boost to their top-eight hopes.

The Red V looked home and hosed with a 30-0 lead at the break only for a Manly side missing Blake Green and Brenton Lawrence to turn the game on its head in the space of 12 action-packed minutes.

Needing a miracle to get back into the contest, Trent Barrett's half-time words must have worked because the Sea Eagles came out a different team after the break with a try to Dylan Walker from their first set.

The last thing the Sea Eagles needed was to lose Darcy Lussick to the sin bin for throwing punches but they didn't let the numerical disadvantage slow them down when his brother, Joey Lussick, crashed over for a try on debut.

Manly's resurgence continued from the very next set when Jake Trbojevic barged over from close range and then Akuila Uate soared through the air to score again to make it 30-22 after a freakish 12-minute burst from the visitors.

Just when it looked like Manly were about to storm home, Dragons winger Nene Macdonald came up with a huge take in his own in-goal to get his side some much-needed possession which they turned into points when debutant Matt Dufty found a flying Paul Vaughan to crash over for a settling four-pointer.

‌‌Having stalled Manly's momentum, Paul McGregor's men finally made sure of the result when Widdop and Dufty combined to send Jason Nightingale over for his second of the afternoon before Euan Aitken collected a Macdonald grubber to complete his double.

There was time for one last reason to celebrate for the 16,883 in attendance when Dufty capped an outstanding debut to burn the defence to score a thoroughly-deserved try at the death.

Earlier, the Dragons suffered a setback in the warm-up with Joel Thompson ruled out after picking up an ankle injury while the Sea Eagles were dealt a blow when youngster Brad Parker was forced off for an HIA test inside the opening three minutes which he ultimately passed.

Nightingale couldn't believe his luck when he was allowed to take a Josh McCrone cross-field kick uncontested to open the scoring after eight minutes.

Nightingale almost had his second when he flew through the air in a bid to reel in in a Gareth Widdop chip, and while he was unable to claim the Steeden, teammate Tim Lafai was on hand to ground the loose ball to make it 12-0.

A terrific run by Uate had the Sea Eagles hot on the attack and it looked as though they were set to score when Daly Cherry-Evans played short to a flying Shaun Lane only for Widdop to intervene and race away to score an 80-metre intercept try.

Having watched the left edge have all the early fun, the Dragons' right side showed they are just as effective when given a chance as Macdonald soared through the air and batted back a kick to Aitken who touched down to make it 24-0.

Dragons fans would have been happy with that first-half scoreline but they were given one more reason to roar when Widdop nailed a 40/20 and then played short to send Jacob Host over to leave the capacity crowd in raptures at the break.

Dragons 52 (Jason Nightingale 2, Euan Aitken 2, Tim Lafai, Gareth Widdop, Jacob Host, Paul Vaughan, Matt Dufty tries; Gareth Widdop 8 goals) def. Sea Eagles 22 (Dylan Walker, Joey Lussick, Jake Trbojevic, Akuila Uate tries; Daly Cherry-Evans 2, Jackson Hastings goals) at WIN Stadium. Half-time: 30-0. Crowd: 16,883.

NRL.com unofficial votes: 3 points - Gareth Widdop; 2 points - Jack de Belin; 1 point - Matt Dufty.

http://www.nrl.com/points-galore-as-dragons-thump-manly/tabid/10874/newsid/110283/default.aspx

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons v Sea Eagles: Five key points
Sun 23 Jul, 2017, 5:51pm
By Martin Gabor, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com
@MartinJGabor

image.ashx

Attack was the order of the day as the Dragons claimed a crucial 52-22 win over the Sea Eagles to keep their finals push well and truly alive.

Rnd 20: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 2:00pm, WIN Stadium
#NRLDragonsManly

St George Illawarra Dragons

Full Time
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

Barrett defends decision to rest key duo

Blake Green and Brenton Lawrence's presence wouldn't have altered the result but their absence was noticeable as the Sea Eagles suffered their worst loss of the season.

With games against top two teams the Storm and Roosters in the next fortnight, Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett took the cautious approach of resting the veteran pair who were both struggling with niggling injuries.

"They're both carrying niggles," Barrett said after the game.

"We were down on troops obviously, but looking at the big picture, we've got Melbourne away next week, the Roosters at home and then we're into the last four games. Whilst we were down on troops, that's no excuse to be down 30-0 at half-time."

Dufty shines on debut

Matt Dufty justified the hype with a sensational debut at the back that has some calling for him to be handed the No.1 jersey next season in place of the Cronulla-bound Josh Dugan.

The highly-touted fullback finished his NYC career as the leading try-scorer in Holden Cup history and that attacking flair was on full display with 11 tackle breaks, a try and two assists.

"He showed what he's got – he's got the ability to burn people with his speed and he's got a really nice catch and pass," Dragons coach Paul McGregor said.

"His strength is a bit deceptive because he's so quick he can get away from people so he can use his natural strength."

Manly to embrace the pain

It was the first time Manly had conceded more than 50 points in a game since 2005 but rather than wipe it from the memory banks, Trent Barrett wants his players to embrace the pain heading into the final six rounds of the season.

"I don't want them to wipe it. I want them to be disappointed because we can't toss that up," Barrett said.

"It doesn't matter who you've got in the team, to concede that many points – regardless of how they get them – isn't good enough. We've got to learn a lesson from it. The players are shattered and we all are but it's just another lesson for us."

Macdonald's game-changing play

Paul McGregor has paid tribute to winger Nene Macdonald for his match-changing play that halted Manly's charge and swung momentum back to the home side.

With Manly smelling blood in the water after four rapid-fire tries, it looked like the Sea Eagles would further eat into the deficit when Daly Cherry-Evans put up the dreaded second kick with only a few defenders back on their line.

The pinpoint kick could have led to another Manly try, but instead Macdonald did what he does best and rose highest to claim the kick in-goal to gift his side a much-needed seven-tackle set.

The visitors didn't score a point after that and the significance of the play wasn't lost on McGregor.

"I thought a real special moment was when Nene took that ball above his head," he said.

"I think it was 30-22 at the time and that was needed. If it goes the other way and they get a try then we're really under the pump so to come up with a big play like that at the time, I thought that really swung the momentum."

More back luck for Aitken

Euan Aitken's injury-plagued season suffered a setback with the talented centre facing another stint on the sidelines after he injured his shoulder late in the second half.

The incident couldn't have been any more innocuous as he went over for his second try of the afternoon, but the pain was clear to see as he was immediately taken from the field in a blow to Aitken who has managed just 11 matches this season because of a troublesome hamstring.

"I don't know how bad it is now but I haven't seen that before [when] someone pops their shoulder scoring a try," McGregor said.

"He's missed a lot of footy with his hamstring tendon, he came back and missed another game last week and he came back today and now he's hurt his shoulder. It's not good for the young man but we've got quality replacements."

http://www.nrl.com/dragons-v-sea-eagles-five-key-points/tabid/10874/newsid/110288/default.aspx

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL St George Illawarra Dragons v Manly Sea Eagles:
NRL Premiership

634350_640x360_large_20170723150922.jpg

Gaz wins epic 90m footrace

GARETH Widdop produced a first-half masterclass to instrument a stunning Dragons win, but it was the arrival of Gen Next that will put the collective mind of Red V fans at rest.
Widdop was magical in leading the side to a monstrous 30-0 half-time lead, giving opposing half and Origin aspirant Daly Cherry-Evans a bath in the numbers department.

The St George Illawarra five-eighth produced three try assists, his own 90-metre intercept try, one massive 40/20, a forced dropout, and 14 individual points before the siren had sounded for the break.

MATCH CENTRE: Dragons 52 d Sea Eagles 22

Cherry-Evans — on the wrong end of the remarkable half-time scoreboard — had three errors, one running metre, and two missed tackles in a dismal 40 minutes of individual football.

And while Widdop was the mastermind behind the 52-22 Dragons win, it was young debutant Matt Dufty who allayed the collective fears of fans around the Illawarra and Kogarah.

Dufty stepped in to replace representative fullback Josh Dugan and he may have just earned himself the club’s No. 1 jumper for 2018.

Dugan is headed to old rival Cronulla next year and Paul McGregor needs to find a new fullback.

Dufty had a try, two try assists, and looked as comfortable as any young man stepping into the NRL arena for the first time.

Those try assists are what many believe are missing from the game of Dugan, who has previously been criticised for his inability to ball-play.

But Dufty’s running game looked equally as strong. He racked up 166 running metres and his try came from a stunning linebreak on the stroke of full time.

There’s been plenty of speculation as to who will play the role for St George Illawarra next year, but Dufty has just answered that question.

Breath easy, Dragons fans ... your club is in safe hands.

634354_640x360_large_20170723155444.jpg

Lussick punches JDB, binned

1:11
A TALE OF 10 MINUTES

Would the NRL allow Manly to play with 12 men on the field and five on the bench for the remainder of the season?

No. Probably not.

But it’s a question Trent Barrett may want to pose to the governing body this week.

The Sea Eagles were soundly beaten by the Dragons in Wollongong on Sunday, but it was with 12 men on the field that Manly played their best.

Darcy Lussick was sin binned for punching Jack de Belin shortly after half time, and in the ensuing 10 minutes the Sea Eagles ran in three tries and brought the deficit back to just eight points.

As soon as Lussick returned to the field of play, Dragons got back on top and the Sea Eagles didn’t score again for the remainder of the game.

The loss will hurt the club’s hopes of finishing in the top four on the ladder and getting two bites of the finals cherry.

fa544944477921d7768056208e8f9135

Jacob Host of the Dragons celebrates with teammate Jack De Belin.Source: Getty Images

THE REPORT

The game began in chaos when St George Illawarra lost forward Joel Thompson to an ankle injury in the warm-up, and then Manly lost Brad Parker to a HIA — which he later passed — in the opening two minutes.

The Dragons almost hit the board in the 5th minute when Tyson Frizell barged over but was held up over the line.

On the next set Manly coughed up the ball and then gave away a penalty, handing the Dragons an entire set inside their attacking 20 metres.

In the 8th minute it paid off with Jason Nightingale latching onto a Josh McCrone chip to land the first blow.

Six minutes later the Red V extended the lead when a Gareth Widdop chip bounce into the hands of Tim Lafai.

The Widdop conversion from the sideline made it 12-0.

Then it was Widdop’s turn to do it all himself, latching onto a stray Manly pass to intercept and sprint 90 metres in the 26th minute.

Widdop had to beat Cameron Cullen in a stunning footrace, and then converted his own try from the sideline to make it 18-0.

The Dragons extended the lead eight minutes later when Widdop’s cross-field kick was knocked down by Nene Macdonald to Euan Aitken to waltz across the line.

Widdop again nailed the kick from out wide to make it 24-0.

d7effaab190132b4c2e7a057017a239e

Jack De Belin of the Dragons is tackled.Source: Getty Images
On the next set Widdop nailed stunning 40-20. The next set he delivered a superb short ball to the chest of young Jacob Host to score the team’s fifth try.

And of course Widdop knocked over the extras.

It was 3-0 at the break — the club’s biggest half time lead since 2001 according to Fox Sports commentator Brenton Speed.

In the second half, Manly finally showed a bit of flare in attack and it resulted in some quick points.

Tom Trbojevic’s pass put Dylan Walker over as the Sea Eagles hit the board.

But a couple of minutes later they found themselves with 12 men on the field when Darcy Lussick was sin binned for punching Jack de Belin in the head.

De Belin was lucky to remain on the field himself, having thrown an elbow into Lussick’s face before the punch.

It didn’t matter to debutant and younger brother Joey Lussick, who darted from dummy half to score the next try in the 49th minute.

And still with a man down, Manly scored their third try in the 52nd minute to make it 30-18 and the comeback was well and truly on.

It was Jake Trbojevic who barged his way over the line and Jackson Hastings knocked the conversion over.

The fourth try — and third with Lussick in the bin — came through Akuila Uate latching onto a Cherry-Evans bomb and beating two Dragons to score.

It was 30-22 in the blink of an eye.

But all it took was for Lussick to enter the field of play again, an immediately the momentum shifted (we’re not suggesting his reappearance was the reason for the shift ... settle down!).

Dragons debutant Matt Dufty showed some fancy footwork and then threw a good ball to hit Paul Vaughan on the chest and put him over the line.

Widdop’s conversion made it 36-22 and the Dragons were able to let their breath out.

Dufty got his second try assist just minutes later when he threw the final pass to Nightingale, on the back of a good sweeping play from the Dragons.

Widdop missed the kick for the first time that day and the score was 40-22.

Euan Aitken scored the sealer in the 67th minute, on the end of a stunning Macdonald grubber on the run.

Aitken injured his wrist in scoring the try and had to leave the field.

Dragons young gun and debutant Matt Dufty put the result on ice when he sliced through the line and scored his first NRL try with just minutes on the clock.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/3a97117c2db66a5c96c9c9916c194eed

mobels

Juniors
Ah Mau has been huge this year, he puts in every week and is consistently one of our best but never really gets the credit he deserves from outside the club. These past few weeks he's been absolutely huge and makes a huge amount of yardage off every carry, dare say he's playing even better now than he was back in 2015.

He's easily one of my favourite players within our team

MilanDragon

Juniors
How good was it to see JDB stand up to the bullshit DCE was trying to dish out. A bit of biffo doesn't hurt every now and then.
Unfortunately it spurred Manly on for a comeback, but it was good to see the boys stand up for each other.

Was great to see Widdop the first involved and throw a couple.

As seen on the captain thread we don't see Widdop being the 'inspiring' leader as he seems so calm, but two things now stand out for me this season where he really stood up.

One was I think maybe the sharks or Eels game, I can't remember who against and the game was gone but he took the hit up off our line as everyone else was just having a breather. Now from yesterday's game actually getting stuck in.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
This was a game that based on Mary's history you would have thought he would surely start Nighty at fullback but obviously there is a method to his madness. The reason he didn't was because he started with Dufty because the was convinced he was ready. Coming up against a 3rd place team you would bank you house on Nighty starting. Mary suprised us all and finally started Dufty.

So all you experts out there including me sometimes, you don't know what is happening in the background, players mentality etc as much as the coaching staff does so they would know better than us when to start a junior. He certainly did know which game to start with Dufty and picked the best time to give him his debut which Dufty will get so much confidence from and become a future star.

Not sure where this leaves Field but I think Dufty will be the No.1 for sure in 2018. Field will be playing the Kurt Mann role when Mann plays on the field in 2018. Field will be a top backup for Widdop/Hunt or Dufty. Mann will be backup for Wingers and Centre/

Saints backs are set for a few years I think. Plenty of good juniors coming through. I am sure they will go hard at the end of the season and snare a qualty prop or 2. You never know they may get Shanon Boyd. I really hope they make a play for Ignatious Pasi.

I really hope they don't get cocky after this week and lose to the Knights. That will be 1 step forward 2 steps back after this weeks performance.

hewi

Bench
Tomorrow's team announcement will be very interesting, with Aitken injured one hopes that Dugan goes to centre and Dufty remains at fullback. Credit where credit is due to Millward in staring down Dugan and what I think many of us think and that was his outrageous demands for money. Early days I know but Dufty is good, in fact he reminds me of Tedesco only I think he will be even better. Every time he got the ball i would be on the edge of my seat knowing that something could happen. He's an excitement machine.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Leeson is also very secure with the football. No-one makes Leeson drop the ball. There was an occasion today where I was shocked when I thought he'd lost the ball but then the ref blew a penalty for stripping. Very solid player who plays a very important role.

Au Mau reminds me of Jon Green, a no frills player which every club needs.

Without him, Saints wouldn't have won the 2010 grand final.