What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St Helens Samoan Signings - Good for International RL?

griff

Bench
There was a little bit of discussion on this in the PNG thread, but I thought it deserved one of its own.

St Helens have signed two Samoan RU internationals, Maurie Fa'asavula and Dom Feaunati.

I think this sort of thing is good news for International RL. It strengthens the Samoan RL team, and will get people in Samoa playing more attention to RL as they follow their careers.

The other side is that having two more foreign players in a Super League team blocks the development of British players, thus harming the GB team.

But I think overall it is great news for International RL. I'd like to see more of it and maybe even salary cap dispensations to encourage clubs to bring in more developing nations players into the NRL and Super League.

carlnz

Bench
I think they will go all right, and maybe a turning point in players swaping codes?? Hopefully the people from Samoa see what they are doing and start following there trend.

I have no doubt they will play for Samoa, the only problem is that Samoa have only played one game since the 2000 world cup!!! And that was a victory over Auckland Maori side.

ripper

Enjoy your Auckland Club Union Players :clap: :clap: , all the decent Samoans play in England. The team that Almost beat England was made of up of a high number of players from clubs like Ponsoby. All the decent ones werent allowed to play

griff

Bench
ripper73 said:
Enjoy your Auckland Club Union Players :clap: :clap: , all the decent Samoans play in England. The team that Almost beat England was made of up of a high number of players from clubs like Ponsoby. All the decent ones werent allowed to play

All the decent Samoans?

Trevor Leota and maybe a couple of others play in England and chose to withdraw from the WC but hardly all.

You obviously know more about these two players than most, despite pushing England do you think they are both pretty ordinary?

Te Kaha

First Grade
griff said:
ripper73 said:

All the decent Samoans?

Trevor Leota and maybe a couple of others play in England and chose to withdraw from the WC but hardly all.

You obviously know more about these two players than most, despite pushing England do you think they are both pretty ordinary?

Actually he knows nothing about them. One is a crap Wellington club player and one is a resonable Samoan based player who played well in the WC. While not good enough to make a super 12 team he is young enough to learn.

yakstorm

First Grade
Whilst it may take the spot of 2 British players, it is still helping the international League scene. This verses an Australian taking the spot, as that hurts both the British and International development overall.

I don't think English fans would mind as much if all the Australians were replaced with quality Frenchmen and Pacific Islanders.

ripper

And the Samoans weren't withdrawing at their own will, the f***** Pommie clubs were going to cut them if they went.

SaintKnightUK

Juniors
I think we will benefit from it....These could be the guys who add that something extra, the surprise element I guess. If they are a success then hopefully it will mean more signings like this being made.

ripper

Let me put it this way - these dudes couldnt even make it into the NPC teams that did the preseasons tours against 3rd Divison Teams

Alan Shore

First Grade
Of course it's good news. It's a shame that it hasn't been in the papers more - the NRL, RLIF and RFL need to seriously start getting news in the paper everyday. In the Herald Sun, EVERYDAY we always have some form of crappy AFL "news".

carlnz

Bench
Ripper beforwe you write crap like that, go read some fo the articles about....gee as if they wanted to play npc......oh hang on wait wearnt Hawkes bay trying to buy some talent?

ripper

That is incorrect, all our talent gets flogged by otago or wellington. Norm Hewitt, Antoin Oliver, Taine Randell

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
ripper73 said:
Let me put it this way - these dudes couldnt even make it into the NPC teams that did the preseasons tours against 3rd Divison Teams

Why then did they both receive offers from Super 12, Zurich Premiership, top level French teams and teams in NZ and Aus?

Fa'asavalu was the top metre maker in the entire World Cup and received excellent press during the tournament. He was very sought after by top Union sides, perhaps you are criticising him as he has signed for a League team?

Their abilities at Union aren't that relevant anyway, the significant thing is that they are touted as potential greats in League.