What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stacey Jones retires

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not NRL anymore but still of a note - a legend of the game.

'Little General's' war over

From staff writers
September 07, 2007
NEW Zealand rugby league legend Stacey Jones, now with France Super League club Catalans Dragons, has announced he will retire from the game at the end of the European season.
Jones, 31, tagged "The Little General", signed a 12-month contract earlier this year, but has decided to quit after next week's final match of the Super League season, the club announced today (AEST).
"I had a couple of bad injuries during the last two seasons and I think my body has had enough," said Jones.
"My on-field performance was up and down this year and I think it is the best solution for the team."
The news is a major blow to the Dragons, this year's English Challenge Cup runner-up, which has come to rely on the leadership, tactical kicking and ball-playing skills of the midfield maestro.
Jones sat out the opening month of this season with a knee injury, but has played the last 26 league and Cup matches, including last month's historic Wembley final.
"I prefer to quit at the end of the season than retiring after two or three games into 2008 which will not be fair for the team, which will be even better next year.
"It was a difficult decision to take and I will miss the place. I had two wonderful years with the Catalans Dragons and being at Wembley was a dream.
"I want to thank the club and all the fans who have been so good for me and my family. I have no concrete options for my future and I will take my time to take the right decision."
Jones played his entire club career in New Zealand with the Warriors before joining the Catalans last year for its first Super League season.
He will make his penultimate appearance for the Dragons at Bradford on Monday (AEST), and bow out in the club's home match with Harlequins on Sunday week.
Catalans coach Mick Potter said: "Stacey has helped to build the club during his two seasons with Catalans Dragons.
"He has always been a champion and did not want to let down his level of performance.
"It is probably the toughest decision he has made in his life but Stacey has been one of the greatest rugby league ambassadors all over the world."
Jones won the Golden Boot - the rugby league press award for the international player of that year - in 2002.
When he left the Warriors in 2005, he had played the most (238) National Rugby League games for the club and scored the most tries (75).
Jones was the last foundation member of the Warriors to leave the club, and retired from internationa; football after the 2006 Tri-Nations final.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22377824-23214,00.html

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Opps, didn't see this thread, just posted it in the French section.

Anyway, thanks for the memories Stacey, you done RL proud in two different countries and helped put the game on the map in both, well done on a great career.

Stacey Jones one of the bests NZ halves of all time. Thanks for the memories and kicking the mighty kangaroos butts in the tri nations 05/06...even though we lost 2006 Stacey still outplayed Thurston

Martli

Coach
I'd love him to come over and spend some time working with Rovelli and Witt in the off-season. Would be great.

Congrats on the great career, Stace.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Martli said:
Nah man, Ruben Wiki will line up tonight against parramatta.

Spot on, but i believe we have just seen NZ's 2nd best retire
thanks for the memories Stacey, a champion player

Iafeta

Referee
I think Stacey was more influential for the Kiwis. Ruben is tough, loyal, passionate... Stacey had that touch of absolute champagne brilliance.

He is my favourite all time player, it is really the end of a magic era of the little general. A consummate pro, gave our club and country tremendous service, and man, memories like there's no tomorrow.

^^^^Re: Jones involved at the Warriors, god I hope so.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Yep, said on the Radio this morning that he was playing in the game.

Said he was really looking forward to getting to play alongside Nigel,Rubes and Pricey and of course be coached by Bennet.

Iafeta

Referee
I remember the 2002 semi final v Cronulla at Telstra. Every man and his dog had written us over here in Australia, it was going to be too hot, our big men would get exposed by Kimmorley and Peachey, it was a Chooks-Sharks final.

10-10. I think it's 3 minutes to go. Last tackle, the Warriors are 20m out, playing the ball from left to right, Jones at first receiver. The Sharks race out of the line, we're all shouting... FIELD GOAL.!!!! FIELD GOAL!!!! Stacey feigns the field goal, grubber kicks pin point 10m right of the post so Peachey can't cover across, John Carlaw comes through...TRY! The greatest moment in Warriors' history, we had truly arrived. And it was ironic that Jones provided it given he'd provided so much else. Yep, it was great that Carlaw, a journeyman who delivered the goods solidly was on the spot, it was great that Marsh and Lauitiiti and Cleary and Campion and the likes were going to get that grand final (particularly Claery who had missed out so often), but Stacey...WOW! The following week in the grand final, he gets the Warriors to 8-6 in front with 25 to go after an amazing 45 metre try, beating 7-8 of them, untouched.

I also remember a game at Penrith, it's close, last tackle, 35 metres out, a Panther comes hard at him to stop the bomb, slow ball to Stacey, he finally gets it, steps right...chips...regathers...chips again...regathers again, scores.

I remember a game against the Roosters, round 2 2002. Last tackle, the Warriors run it to the left, I think Lauitiiti off loads to Cleary, who passes it onto Toopi... Toopi gets an offload to Campion... 45m out, off to Jones... grubber kicks from 45m out, John Carlaw's first ever touch as a Warrior he grabs the ball on the goal line and goes over untouched with no one within cooey. Stacey showed remarkable vision there.

And of course, fiitingly, he last game... 16-20 down at Manly... 4th tackle..10 out from their line... 5 to go... step off the left, step... TRY! He wins his last ever game. His last home game he had three, that's right, three tries disallowed by the video referee.

There was no better site in rugby league than Stacey lighting it up. Kia Kaha, what a truly great ambassador for this game.

The Riddler

Juniors
Iafeta said:
I remember the 2002 semi final v Cronulla at Telstra. Every man and his dog had written us over here in Australia, it was going to be too hot, our big men would get exposed by Kimmorley and Peachey, it was a Chooks-Sharks final.

10-10. I think it's 3 minutes to go. Last tackle, the Warriors are 20m out, playing the ball from left to right, Jones at first receiver. The Sharks race out of the line, we're all shouting... FIELD GOAL.!!!! FIELD GOAL!!!! Stacey feigns the field goal, grubber kicks pin point 10m right of the post so Peachey can't cover across, John Carlaw comes through...TRY! The greatest moment in Warriors' history, we had truly arrived. And it was ironic that Jones provided it given he'd provided so much else. Yep, it was great that Carlaw, a journeyman who delivered the goods solidly was on the spot, it was great that Marsh and Lauitiiti and Cleary and Campion and the likes were going to get that grand final (particularly Claery who had missed out so often), but Stacey...WOW! The following week in the grand final, he gets the Warriors to 8-6 in front with 25 to go after an amazing 45 metre try, beating 7-8 of them, untouched.

I also remember a game at Penrith, it's close, last tackle, 35 metres out, a Panther comes hard at him to stop the bomb, slow ball to Stacey, he finally gets it, steps right...chips...regathers...chips again...regathers again, scores.

I remember a game against the Roosters, round 2 2002. Last tackle, the Warriors run it to the left, I think Lauitiiti off loads to Cleary, who passes it onto Toopi... Toopi gets an offload to Campion... 45m out, off to Jones... grubber kicks from 45m out, John Carlaw's first ever touch as a Warrior he grabs the ball on the goal line and goes over untouched with no one within cooey. Stacey showed remarkable vision there.

And of course, fiitingly, he last game... 16-20 down at Manly... 4th tackle..10 out from their line... 5 to go... step off the left, step... TRY! He wins his last ever game. His last home game he had three, that's right, three tries disallowed by the video referee.

There was no better site in rugby league than Stacey lighting it up. Kia Kaha, what a truly great ambassador for this game.
I like the try he scored against the Roosters in the 2002 GF.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
My favourite Rugby League player ever. A true champion, and above all a real gentleman off the field as well. Thanks for all the great memories Stace.

Brutus

Referee
Benjinho Rugby Club said:
did we just see New Zealands Greatest player retire?

Nah

1.Mark Graham
2. Stacey Jones
3. Ruben Wiki

It's a shame Stacey won't be making next year's World Cup his swansong.

Rod

Bench
Congratulations Stacey on a great career. Met him once, really nice guy.

Can't wait for the All Golds!