What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stadium booze has a little less biff

085545-beer.jpg

Curb: Only light and mid-strength beer will be sold at Sydney's biggest sports stadium from now on. Picture: Supplied. Source: Supplied

ANZ Stadium has banned the sale of full-strength beer starting at tonight's Charity Shield NRL season opener. Only mid-strength and light beer will be sold at Sydney's biggest sporting venue following a series of meetings between police, security experts and stadium executives.

The ban affects all footy codes and all events, including the State of Origin, Bledisloe Cup and NRL grand final. Tonight's clash between the Rabbitohs and the Dragons is the first game under the mid-strength policy.
"We make no apologies to those who think going to the footy is about getting heavily on the grog," said ANZ Stadium managing director Daryl Kerry.
"Drunken footy fans are not welcome. We've ejected intoxicated fans for years, but now we're going a step further.
"Sporting events are more and more about a safe and enjoyable environment for everyone."
Mr Kerry said he consulted the NSW Police before implementing the policy.
"We've seen community attitudes changing towards drinking in public places. This in many ways is giving the people who come to ANZ Stadium what they want," he said.
The NRL supports the move.
"It is a policy they are adopting across all sports and reflects a responsible approach on their part," said chief executive David Gallop.
"Our focus has always been to promote responsible consumption and we have worked with the Australian
Drug Foundation, our clubs and our industry partners to examine the most effective ways of delivering that message."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/stadium-booze-has-a-little-less-biff/story-fn6bm90q-1226005085442

liquor box

Juniors
Bad decision, why not allow people the choice? Just keep kicking out the idiots.

There was talk of banning wine from the gabba a few years ago as people realised it was the quickest way to get drunk and the cheapest.

We need to let people make their own choices and face the consequenses

jackb

Juniors
I was there last night and I usually enjoy a beer and a pie at the footy. I only do this at the footy because it goes with the atmosphere and reminds me of many years following Souths at various football games.

Last night I had to drink xxxx gold - I only had the one as it tasted awful. I will not drink that crap again so will probably wait until I get home after the game to have a beer or two. The enforced supply of crappy beer will surely cost ANZ stadium money - as I said, I will not drink that stuff again.

RAB-161

Juniors
I had one XXXXGold as well and it is definately my last. As close to undrinkable as a beer can get.

boo_boo

Juniors
The club really had their members best interests at heart with that decision.
I wonder if the catering company is tied up with the same deal that Souths have ?
For all of us who enjoy a beer at the footy then i hope not.

RAB-161

Juniors
Once again I am not really sure what you mean,however the decision was definately not made by the club but the ANZ Stadium management.
The article states that it applies to all football codes as well as other sports.

cleary89

Coach
Wasn't even tempted to have a beer there knowing that it was XXXX. Will not buy a beer there all year.

rabbs

Juniors
As usual Boo Boo,you blame the club for all things except climate change.It was ANZ managements decision and will be across the board at all sporting venues and all sports as of this year.

mohses

Juniors
i wonder if this across the whole stadium, corporate and private boxes as well, or is it only enforced to the 99% of patrons whom make the system function at a profit, and it also pisses me off every time i look left or right there is some fish eyed tool on a stool , looking at the crowd in the form of security. i`m in the belief vet the dickheads out before they enter the stadium.