What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stadiums with dirt hills

Copa

Bench
Was watching a certain game last night (won't mention any names) but i have to say stadiums with big grass hills (esp those with hills along the length of the field) look like dumps.

Who wants to pay money and then sit on the bloody grass??

And this is suppose to be a high level pro-sport... but some fans get to sit in the bloody dirt to watch a game.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Copa said:
Was watching a certain game last night (won't mention any names) but i have to say stadiums with big grass hills (esp those with hills along the length of the field) look like dumps.

Who wants to pay money and then sit on the bloody grass??

And this is suppose to be a high level pro-sport... but some fans get to sit in the bloody dirt to watch a game.
It all adds to the atmosphere mate.
And If you are talking about Brookvale, you're kidding - the grass on the hill is thick and well maintained.

paulquinn49

Bench
Agreed dood. Grass hills are things of the past.

Every stadium with a grass hill could have seating and fit in more people, it's just the cost I would say. Oki would look awesome with all proper seating.

The only stadium that I wouldnt bother with would be Leighcardt. WT dont play enough games there, plus it would be the only ground that would look worse with all seating.

Copa

Bench
Harold Bishop said:
It all adds to the atmosphere mate.
And If you are talking about Brookvale, you're kidding - the grass on the hill is thick and well maintained.
Atmosphere?? You mean a 1970s atmosphere... why don't we make all the stadiums just dirt hills... you'd love the atmosphere then.

Grass hills are for amateur sporting arenas.

Who wants to pay good money and then be told to sit on the bloody grass?? What a joke.

chunk

Juniors
People obviously like the grass hill at Leichhardt look at the crowds they've had in the last two years...awesome.

So it's clear plenty of people disagree with you.

If you don't like it don't go.

We don't need your type their anyway..soft.

grass hills are the best.room to move.Atmosphere.characters n comments.Who wants to be stuck to some fatass fool who cant fit in the seat and yo cant move either way cause your squished in.Try enjoying SOO when you your fitted snuggly next to some lard ass who drips his pie n drink.Whole nite ruined
Nope...give me some elbow room beside me please

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Ericssion has a big grass hill. I notice it has a big staircase in the middle and the kids were having a great time sliding down the handrail. Who needs jumping castles?

brooksy19

Bench
Yes lets have every ground look and feel exactly the same...

Heck why doesn't every team in Sydney either play at Telstra or SFS..

Nook

Bench
Grass hills are fantastic as part of local grounds. Plenty of people choose to sit on the hill at places like Leichhardt.

Copa said:
Atmosphere?? You mean a 1970s atmosphere... why don't we make all the stadiums just dirt hills... you'd love the atmosphere then.
Well is it grass or dirt? Make up your mind.

Hills can fit more in them then seats, I'm glad I got to experience the hills at Parra and Newcaslte before they where concreted up, they could both be wild places and lots of fun.

kogarah_rainbow.jpg

1998_kogarah_0.jpg

cainen

Juniors
People turn up to Penrith hours in advance and set up shop on the hills so some people obviously prefer them. I prefer having a proper seat myself.

strewth_mate

Bench
I was disappointed in a way when it was announced Newcastle were going to have a grandstand on the Eastern hill. I've always gone to sit on the grass on the Northern hill when I've gone, arrived early and lay on the grass in the sun for a few hours watching the juniors. Fantastic stuff. Used to be great also when a team like the Dragons came down, they'd set up camp on the eastern hill packed amongst the rest of the crowd and the atmosphere would be like nothing else, they've always been enjoyable games to go to.

Then again it's probably only because the grass hill is part of tradition and nobody really likes to let go of tradition. When I have gone to away games though Penrith is the only one I've really enjoyed because we stood on the hill with a whole mix of supporters. Makes it more down to earth, so to speak, and just a better all round experience for mine. Went to Knights vs. Rabbitohs at Telstra this year, it was just stupid. Might sound ridiculous but I would have much preferred to watch that game with the crowd closer together on the hill.

Kid

Juniors
Capacity of grounds usually decrease when they are turned into full seating. each to their own i guess, but personally i prefer to be able to sit out in the sun on a blanket and lie back if i want, or stand up the back and have a few cold ones with the other supporters rather than be cramped up in a seat.

Copa

Bench
Hills are history.... that's just the way things will unfold.

Half empty dirts hills look bad on TV, increase the mobility options for d*ckheads and are essentially for small time sports.

There is no way I'd pay to sit on a dump of a hill.

The sporting market is competitive... if you wanna attract new fans they want comfort, seating and preferably protection from rain.

The NRL is the worlds premier rugby (either code) comp.... when shown on TV around the world and around Oz it needs to be showcased in a great stadium.

btaag

Juniors
Concrete terracing or all-seaters are my preference, but mates of mine swear-by the Hills. You cant deny that the old-school grounds have a great atmosphere, but hills are on the way out.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
I love the hill at Brookie, I've been going to games there since I was about 7 and have sat in every stand, but nothing beats being on the hill in terms of fun and atmosphere

Latest posts