What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stadiums with dirt hills

PanthersChik

Juniors
I love the grassy knoll. I mean your arse would get sore in a chair, least (if there is enough room) you could lie down on the grass. I love sitting on the grass at places!!! if that makes sense. :?

Copa said:
Hills are history.... that's just the way things will unfold.

Half empty dirts hills look bad on TV, increase the mobility options for d*ckheads and are essentially for small time sports.

Again with the dirt?

Empty stands and empty hills both look bad on tv, but full hills, which is the norm these days, look fantastic.

C.P

Juniors
Depends on the ground IMO. Some places suit the stands while other grounds have a great atmosphere because of the hill. For example Penrith has a fantastic hill at the northern end and ive also enjoyed many a match from the fantastic atmosphere on the hill at OKI, Leichhardt is excellent also. Shark Parks is good as well, you've just got avoid the ferals at night games.
WIN stadium has the worst hill, its too steep and every time ive sat on it its been sh*t, its mud at the bottom and every time you stand up when somethings happening whingers start crying for you to sit down because they want to see everythijng while lying on their blankies. especially when theres a big crowd in. Brookvales eastern hill is good but the northern end is just a mud patch and the north western corner is asphalt = not much fun sitting/standing on either.

cainen

Juniors
PanthersChik said:
I love the grassy knoll. I mean your arse would get sore in a chair, least (if there is enough room) you could lie down on the grass. I love sitting on the grass at places!!! if that makes sense. :?

I find my ass gets alot sorer sitting on the hill.

Balmain_Boy

Personally I'll always sit on the hill given a choice. Even at Campbelltown where it's an ordinary view I still much prefer to sit on the grass. Maybe it's a nostalgic thing, but to me there is no better place to watch footy than on a Sunday afternoon at Leichhardt ovla.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Copa said:
Who wants to pay money and then sit on the bloody grass??

And this is suppose to be a high level pro-sport... but some fans get to sit in the bloody dirt to watch a game.

With the amount of vacant seats available in the grandstands at the vast majority of all N.R.L. games you don't have to sit in the grass or the dirt.

It's quite simple: Don't want to get your arse wet or dirty, go and pay the extra $8-10 for a grandstand ticket.

I know some general admission season ticket holders that are quite happy to sit on the hill, despite the availability of grandstand season ticket seats.

Methinks It's a matter of personal choice rather than seat availability in most cases.

Master Vippo

Juniors
For sure. The hill is great, love how its so relxed and open. Everyone just sprawled out together. But seats, in tiers at masive stadiums like Talstra are the way to go. Personal choice and the type of match i guess.

Copa

Bench
If the clubs were rich.... hills would start to disappear. WHile they don't have the money... it's a nostalgia thing.

If the NRL wants to be taken seriuosly as a top line pro-sport... the stadiums have to improve.

Crowded hills also put quite a few families off going to games.

Fibroman

First Grade
I wont stand anywhere except on the grass hill.

I constantly knock back tickets to private corporate boxes to stand on the hill with my mates.

The atmosphere is sensational, and there is always action amongst the crowd if the footy is boring.

Nothing like a good old fashioned knuckle on the hill after a meat pie and 15 beers.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Copa said:
If the clubs were rich.... hills would start to disappear. WHile they don't have the money... it's a nostalgia thing.

If the NRL wants to be taken seriuosly as a top line pro-sport... the stadiums have to improve.

Crowded hills also put quite a few families off going to games.

Our club is rich, they've just upgraded our stadium to include more seating and they've chosen to keep the family hill as it is.

So much for your theory.

Moreover, As I've said before, people have a choice. Grandstand seats are always usually available.

t-ba

Post Whore
Pantherjim. said:
Our club is rich, they've just upgraded our stadium to include more seating and they've chosen to keep the family hill as it is.

So much for your theory.

And here I was thinking the Government funded the upgrade...But I'll trust the ultra loyal panthers fan who registered in October 2003 :crazy:

Hills are swell, but They're dying. Ground Consolidation was delayed by the Super League war, but in a dozen or so years it will bear down on the Sydney clubs, and we'll lose them. Enjoy them while you can! Soon we'll be like those old Footscray and Essendon fans talking about the good old days on the Hill while the younger fans give us funny looks!

Pantherjim.

Referee
t-ba said:
And here I was thinking the Government funded the upgrade...But I'll trust the ultra loyal panthers fan who registered in October 2003 :crazy:

Yes the government did fund the upgrade to some extent. So did Panthers and Credit Union Australia. My point was that the money was there to transform the family hill into a seated concourse, but Panthers chose not to.

Hence, so much for Copa's theory.

So what if I registered in Oct 2003? You only registered a month earlier. Your point being??

t-ba

Post Whore
Pantherjim. said:
Yes the government did fund the upgrade to some extent. So did Panthers and Credit Union Australia. My point was that the money was there to transform the family hill into a seated concourse, but Panthers chose not to.

Hence, so much for Copa's theory.

So what if I registered in Oct 2003? You only registered a month earlier. Your point being??

Refresh my memories as to who won the premiership in October 2003?

Don't try and pass it off as the herculean financial effort of the panthers that got it upgrade. If Johnny didn't bother to porkbarrel the far west, it never would have happened...

Copa said:
Was watching a certain game last night (won't mention any names) but i have to say stadiums with big grass hills (esp those with hills along the length of the field) look like dumps.

Who wants to pay money and then sit on the bloody grass??

And this is suppose to be a high level pro-sport... but some fans get to sit in the bloody dirt to watch a game.

Sissy.

Pantherjim.

Referee
t-ba said:
Refresh my memories as to who won the premiership in October 2003?

Ok, so by your logic, considering Manly have been in the competition a lot longer than Penrith have, and have won possibly three times as many Premierships, You should have registered when this website first originated which was a lot sooner than September 2003.:-k

Some fans have registered only this year and last year, does that mean their opinions or their loyalty as supporters are questionable because of the date that they registered?

There are such things as being unaware of this sites existence, or not being net literate or having net access or time to surf the net until recently you know.

Do I question your opinion or loyalty as a Manly fan because you've failed to register on this site until September 2003?

Drop kick.

t-ba said:
Don't try and pass it off as the herculean financial effort of the panthers that got it upgrade. If Johnny didn't bother to porkbarrel the far west, it never would have happened...

I'm not trying to pass it off as a sole effort by Panthers itself, I've already admitted that the Government and Credit Union Australia had a hand in funding it. The point I was trying to make was that the money was there to make the upgrade, yet they haven't touched the family hill.

Actually, yes it would have happened, Credit Union Australia would have helped us make it happen.

Briza

Juniors
I've been a season ticket holder for years, and for many of those i was in the Jane try - but i always chose to sit on the hill or wonder the ground.

Whilest sitting high in the stands on the halfway line gives you an exceptional veiw on the game, nothing beats sitting on the hill.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Copa if the grass isn't up to your high standard, sit on the benches around the field, or pay the extra 10 bucks to sit in the stand.

Latest posts