What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stae of Origin

lockyno1

Post Whore
With all reports that the Origin series will come back in the future, how should the AFL design the season. Are you in favour of the Origin match?

I am becuase Juddy will be turning out. Can't wait. Captain JUDD!:D

meltiger

First Grade
Captain Judd? pffffffffft

I am in favour of SOO returning, so long as it's not involving dumb hybrid teams.

Victoria V SA, that's what we want to see.

Who cares about the rest.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Juddy typifies spirit and should be captain!

I hated the hybrid teams too. Vic vs SA (3 matches as well)

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
With all reports that the Origin series will come back in the future, how should the AFL design the season. Are you in favour of the Origin match?

I am becuase Juddy will be turning out. Can't wait. Captain JUDD!:D

I really, really, really worry about you, Lockmeister!

At any rate, the mere notion of SOO for the AFL bores me senseless.

I'm glad its gone, football is very much a tribal thing for me.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Kev, what have you got against State of Origin! These were the best matches I can remember! Plus it will be good to see Judd in a Victorian no3 jersey!

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Kev, what have you got against State of Origin! These were the best matches I can remember! Plus it will be good to see Judd in a Victorian no3 jersey!

It means nothing in a national competition where VIC clubs play SA & WA clubs routinely.

The later SOO contests became contrived affairs, and all they really offer is the prospect of players getting injured on account of glorified exhibition matches.

No one genuinely cares, as the premiership overrides everything.

stevo

Juniors
meltiger said:
Captain Judd? pffffffffft

I am in favour of SOO returning, so long as it's not involving dumb hybrid teams.

Victoria V SA, that's what we want to see.

Who cares about the rest.

I bloody do! Go the Westies!

Na man, it ain't the same. Never really got into it last time. I'r rather see my team beat Collingwood, the Cats or the Lions.

I must say that the NRL origin is another story. It's absolutely awsome. Go BLUES!! Although i don't seem to be into as much this year, maybe because Joey isn't playing.

PB

Bench
CyberKev said:
It means nothing in a national competition where VIC clubs play SA & WA clubs routinely.

The later SOO contests became contrived affairs, and all they really offer is the prospect of players getting injured on account of glorified exhibition matches.

No one genuinely cares, as the premiership overrides everything.

I agree. It's tribal. You don't see representitive matches between Yorkshire and Durham in football (soccer), because so many supporters have so much passion for their club.

And AFL is a national competition, there are interstate games every week between Melbourne based and interstate clubs. Yet the local derbies, are still the biggest clashes.

So I am a no.

meltiger

First Grade
If people honestly think there is not the same hatred between Victoria and the filth across the border you're all kidding yourselves.

RL SOO would eventually fail too if all the players pulled out...

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
If people honestly think there is not the same hatred between Victoria and the filth across the border you're all kidding yourselves.

RL SOO would eventually fail too if all the players pulled out...

Nah, mate.

You're the one who is kidding himself.

The VIC/SA care factor is minimalist these days, with the internal SA rivalry and the Collingwood vs everyone rivalries inside Melbourne leaving far for dead anything that a contrived and unworthy SOO could generate.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Kev, I still don't understand what you have agianst Origin! It has state rivalry and history. It needs to be brought back!

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
The VIC/SA care factor is minimalist these days,

f**k off.

Maybe for those who live interstate, yes.

What does it matter to you anyway? Only one Hawthorn player would get picked...

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
f**k off.

Maybe for those who live interstate, yes.

What does it matter to you anyway? Only one Hawthorn player would get picked...

4 (possibly) 5 if SOO was played this year, but that's beside the point.

Prior to my leaving VIC a few years back the general consensus was clearly that SOO games were trivial nothing affairs that it was good to see the back of.

I'd like to be pointed in the direction of sound empirical evidence that provides support for a majority of AFL tragics wanting to see such contrived, yesteryear nothing matches put back on the table.

VIC vs SA.

Pfft! Hawthorn vs the Kangaroos is a bigger rivalry.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
4 (possibly) 5 if SOO was played this year, but that's beside the point.

Stop lying

CyberKev said:
Prior to my leaving VIC a few years back the general consensus was clearly that SOO games were trivial nothing affairs that it was good to see the back of.

I'd like to be pointed in the direction of sound empirical evidence that provides support for a majority of AFL tragics wanting to see such contrived, yesteryear nothing matches put back on the table.

Because at the time, the players had all pulled out and it wasn't the best of the best.

CyberKev said:
VIC vs SA.

Pfft! Hawthorn vs the Kangaroos is a bigger rivalry.

Who vs Who?

SOO generated crowds that those two clubs can only dream of.....

Slimy Eel

Juniors
The state rivalries that matters is NSW V VIC....What a joke that would be. The other NSW V QLD which is well and truely covered by those state's traditional and number one sport Rugby League.

meltiger

First Grade
Slimy Eel said:
The state rivalries that matters is NSW V VIC....What a joke that would be. The other NSW V QLD which is well and truely covered by those state's traditional and number one sport Rugby League.

With due respect ... NSW beat Victoria back in the 90's ...

Latest posts