What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stand Alone Rep Round

adamkungl

Immortal
How does this sound.
R1-R15. All teams play each other once.
3 week break for Origin.
R16-R22. Top 8 teams play each other once. Top 6 progress to finals series in spots 1-6 respectively. Meanwhile, bottom 8 teams play each other once.
R23. Top 2 from Bottom8 group play bottom 2 from the Top8 to decide the last 2 finalists. Top 6 enjoy the week off.
FINALS SERIES PER CURRENT FORMAT.

Thoughts?

Let's call it the McIntyre Rule.

If your sports league idea is more complicated than it absolutely needs to be, it could at the very least use improvement.

That said this isn't too bad an idea really. I think the current way the draw is decided, who plays who twice rather than once, could use a more defined structure than it has now, and the fact we have teams playing each other twice in 5 weeks still is rubbish.

POPEYE

Coach
How does this sound.
R1-R15. All teams play each other once.
3 week break for Origin.
R16-R22. Top 8 teams play each other once. Top 6 progress to finals series in spots 1-6 respectively. Meanwhile, bottom 8 teams play each other once.
R23. Top 2 from Bottom8 group play bottom 2 from the Top8 to decide the last 2 finalists. Top 6 enjoy the week off.
FINALS SERIES PER CURRENT FORMAT.

Thoughts?
That'll do . . . anything, as long as people keep talking up a 3 week break for Origin

Lambretta

First Grade
Origin and rep rounds should be played under proper Rugby League rules - as stand alone

Shoulder charges allowed
Sin bins, not send offs for punching
All in brawls encouraged
1 referee
Video ref for try's ONLY and no ruling on interference bullshit, just groundings

All Origin games to be on a Saturday
Friday Nights can be reserved for Pacific Islands for the first 2 Origin weekends

If game three goes to a decider, the Friday night will be best Pacific Island v NZ

Sundays can be festival of the boot for NSW & QLD Cup with triple headers where clubs play at the same ground on the same day. Throw it open free for kids - have Origin players meet and greets on the day and make it a Statewide celebration of Rugby League. Just not NRL

NSW games could all be at Penrith or Parramatta or Kogarah. A traditional suburban ground with all games televised.

JamesRustle

First Grade
I was wondering if the GWS are suddenly representative of the lower North Shore

Maybe they mean Gladesville Bridge?
GWS is definitely surviving on a bridging loan and Swans had bridging finance by way of a living allowance from afl hq. I think that's what it means!

mistertaylor

Juniors
That said this isn't too bad an idea really. I think the current way the draw is decided, who plays who twice rather than once, could use a more defined structure than it has now, and the fact we have teams playing each other twice in 5 weeks still is rubbish.
Agree 100%.

When I came up with this, my thinking was that it generates more games between top 8 teams in the post-Origin period. By contrast, it also creates more games involving bottom 8 teams, but that is the only fault I can find with this format.