1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Stand Alone Rep Round

Discussion in 'NRL' started by siv, Jul 1, 2017.

1. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

state of origin is the catalyst for all of this..

it's an evil on clubs, but a necessary evil for the health of the game..

it's the pinnacle of our sport.. it's better quality football than even Aus vs NZ..

so let's give it clear air, make an event out of it and have it as a major event on a weekend..

no need to shoehorn other matches in, just for the sake of it.

that's a TV programming mentality, and it's killing the game.

i can see state of origin weekends being as great as a grand final weekend..

POPEYE and siv like this.
  2. Charlie124

Charlie124 First Grade

Enough with this pussy "three weeks between games" bullshit. Lets separate the men from the boys and have a super origin weekend.

Origin 1 - Friday night
    Origin 2 - Saturday night
    Origin 3 - Sunday afternoon

Case closed.

hutch and siv like this.
  3. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

I doubt the Kiwis and Islanders who make up half the players feel like test matches are "just for the sake of it".

Internationals have a lot more growth potential for the health of the sport than Origin - we should be aiming for the point where they're just as big.

hutch likes this.
  4. myrrh ken

myrrh ken First Grade

Even better, just have them all on a Saturday - 1530, 1800 and 2030.

5. cleary89

cleary89 Coach

Make them play to the death!

6. _snafu_

_snafu_ Referee

Should include Oztag.

7. Billythekid

Billythekid First Grade

I think there are a lot of issues facing the game that require changing (like the need to expand) but I think this could end up being one of the best things the NRL ever does.

This will shine huge spotlight on SOO for a full 3 week period drowning out all other sport in the country. Good luck to any other code planning to schedule matches against SOO during this period. The media in NSW and QLD will be wall to wall origin.

It'll basically be like 3 weeks of GF hype. I really think this could see SOO ratings go even higher and the value of SOO for the NRL would go through the roof.

It reduces the impact of a dead rubber. At the moment it means a few weeks where the NRL is still crippled by origin but the interest in origin also wanes. This way it only lasts for a week and there is an immediate reply to try and save some face for the losing team.

From the perspective of the regular NRL season there are huge benefits. No longer would there be a 9 week period where origin sucks away all the hype from the NRL. We could also scrap these awful bye rounds.

The origin period is a good time for teams to recouperate and then you basically relaunch the NRL season post origin leading into the finals.

I can see why the NRL is scared, they don't want to mess with origin as it's their big trump card. IMO this would be a huge step forward for the game.

Vee, flamin and toomuchsoup like this.
  8. Pedge1971

Pedge1971 First Grade

You forgot 9s origin and Topball origin.

9. Marlins

Marlins Juniors

I'd like the Nrl to take 3 weeks off and smash the origin in 3 weeks in a row

hutch, mistertaylor, T-Boon and 2 others like this.
  10. POPEYE

POPEYE Coach

If the NRL took 3 weeks off we could all be saved 2 months of f**king bullshit

Marlins likes this.
  11. hutch

hutch First Grade

It would make origin bigger and also benefit the sport by increasing interest in other countries whose rep/test teams will also be playing on these weekends.

If I hear one more journalist say we can't do it because it will give other codes a 'free kick' to host blockbusters of their own on those weekends I'll go crazy. Other codes won't even get a mention those weeks, everybody will be focused on origin and other rugby league tests or tournaments. Some of us on these forums have been calling for this for over a decade and it's taken this long for the nrl to schedule one rep weekend. I'm not holding my breath that they will schedule 3 in the near future. Zero vision.

12. CliffyIsGod

CliffyIsGod First Grade

Has to go stand alone. Parramatta playing a massively under strength Storm is unfair on every other team.

13. AlwaysGreen

AlwaysGreen Immortal

Why, are you going to stop posting?

2EZ :fish:

POPEYE likes this.
  14. Disco

Disco Bench

2 weekends off for a festival of rep footy

Weekend 1 = Full NRL round (SOO players missing)

Wednesday Night = SOO 1

Weekend 2 = City v Country (revived, Blues players who miss SOO get the stake their claim)
    Tonga V Samoa
    Indigenous All stars V Maori All Stars
    Jnr Kangaroos V Junior Kiwis

Wednesday Night = SOO 2

Weekend 3 = England V NZ
    Fiji V PNG
    Womans AUS V Kiwis

Wednesday Night = SOO 3

Weekend 4 = Full NRL round (Coaches can back up or rest SOO players

The whole thing is done and dusted in 3 weeks and coaches get a little mid season break to reassess their squad and tactic and adjust

15. RufusRex

RufusRex Post Whore

4 rep weekends with 8 teams having a BYE on each of the weekends and 8 teams playing in 4 round games.

Fri - 2 x Club Games
    Sat - SOO/Test Match
    Sun - 2 x Club Games

The four weeks are

Week 1 - SOO 1
    Week 2 - SOO 2
    Week 3 - SOO 3
    Week 4 - Aus/NZ Test Match

Teams selected the Sunday night before the match and players go into a week long camp
    No players allowed to back up from Sat into the Sunday games.
    Teams therefore are only impacted by 2 x rep weekends a year.

hutch likes this.
  16. siv

siv Bench

Not bad - maybe do Tuesday rather than Wednesday night

17. Last Week

Last Week Bench

Na. We have media saturation over the course of origin. I don't think it should be any longer, but what we have now I think works.

I'd love for Origin to die if the international game were able to take its place.

18. POPEYE

POPEYE Coach

Who do you think it works for ol' mate

19. Marlins

Marlins Juniors

I'd love the international game to grow just as much as anyone but in no way at origins expanse.

20. mistertaylor

mistertaylor Juniors

How does this sound.
    R1-R15. All teams play each other once.
    3 week break for Origin.
    R16-R22. Top 8 teams play each other once. Top 6 progress to finals series in spots 1-6 respectively. Meanwhile, bottom 8 teams play each other once.
    R23. Top 2 from Bottom8 group play bottom 2 from the Top8 to decide the last 2 finalists. Top 6 enjoy the week off.
    FINALS SERIES PER CURRENT FORMAT.

Thoughts?