What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

Timbo

Staff member
Wow.

I honestly can't explain how lost for words I am at how good this show is.

For the first time since DS9 was on the air, I am honesty clueless about what direction a Star Trek series is going in. This is absolutely brilliant stuff.

RIP Gabriel Lorca. You may have turned out to be space HitlerTrump (we will make the empire glorious again? Ha!) but you were a total badass and only Elim Garak comes close to you for complexity.

Last edited:

jargan83

Coach
So the second they returned to the Prime Universe and Stamets said they overshot by 9 months I said to the Missus that I bet either Starfleet has lost the war or going to be close to it.

Is there a chance for Prime Lorca to show up this season or will that be held over for a future season? I went googling last night and Jason Issacs seems very cagey regarding the future of the character?

bileduct

Coach
Do we really need spoiler warnings? I just stay out of the thread until I've watched the latest episode. That should be good enough.

jargan83

Coach
Not gonna lie, I was thinking the same last night.

Maybe just mark the thread as "containing potential spoilers"?

Timbo

Staff member
Fair enough.

Potential spoilers:

So, my thoughts re: Good Lorca...

The way Lorca ended up in the prime universe was beaming up to the ISS Buran in the middle of an ion storm when it was under attack from the ISS Charon, which somehow diverted him to the prime universe.

That's the exact same way Kirk, McCoy, Uhura and Scott ended up in the mirror universe in the original series episode 'Mirror Mirror' - beaming up at the same time as their counterparts in an ion storm.

So my take is that Lorca swapped places with his counterpart, and that Good! Lorca ended up on the ISS Buran and was killed when Mirror! Georgiou destroyed it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed that the USS Buran wasn't even under real threat from Klingons - that Lorca didn't self destruct to save his crew from torture, but that he did it because they, as people who worked with him closely every day, would have worked out who he really was.

bileduct

Coach
I have to go watch all the mirror universe episodes now... I'd seen all the DS9 ones, but I never bothered watching Enterprise and I can't remember most original series episodes these days.

Timbo

Staff member
I have to go watch all the mirror universe episodes now... I'd seen all the DS9 ones, but I never bothered watching Enterprise and I can't remember most original series episodes these days.

There's only one in The Original Series. The two Enterprise ones (it's a two parter) are possibly the best episodes of the entire series though.

bileduct

Coach
There's only one in The Original Series. The two Enterprise ones (it's a two parter) are possibly the best episodes of the entire series though.
Isn't The Tholian Web now considered to be a mirror universe episode?

Timbo

Staff member
Isn't The Tholian Web now considered to be a mirror universe episode?

Oh, I suppose you're right. But you don't really need to watch it if you're trying to get a handle on the MU as it's all retconned. It's a great episode all the same though.

Timbo

Staff member
End of the penultimate episode of S1. My jaw is on the f**king floor, just wow.

Timbo

Staff member
Fair bit of fanservice in the finale. Seemed a bit rushed to me at times. The scene where they were all getting medals was bizarre, for a brief second I legit thought it was a Jacobs Ladder scenario and Burnham had died in the pilot.

The Enterprise was always going to show up at some point. So as a reveal it wasn't too bad. I wonder who they'll get to play Pike next year? Also, Spock should be serving on then Enterprise now as a science office - hard to see how they won't pop up given Sarek is on the Discovery.

I'll bet that Good! Lorca is still alive too and that Isaacs is punking everyone on twitter.

All things said, strong opening season from Disco - Trek hasn't been this good since DS9 was at its peak.

bileduct

Coach
I fell asleep during this episode and woke up right at the end during the medal ceremony. I am not sure if it was because I was tired or bored. Maybe both.

I'm glad we're finally gonna get some Pike action.

I would have to say that Suru is a pretty dumb character. If his special is the ability to sense death, how come he never actually pipes up and mentions anything? There was the Harry Mudd episode where the ship kept blowing up over and over and he didn't say shit. In last weeks episode they made a point of showing his spidey-sense going off before they drop out of warp, but again, he doesn't say shit. Pointless.

Timbo

Staff member
I fell asleep during this episode and woke up right at the end during the medal ceremony. I am not sure if it was because I was tired or bored. Maybe both.

I'm glad we're finally gonna get some Pike action.

I would have to say that Suru is a pretty dumb character. If his special is the ability to sense death, how come he never actually pipes up and mentions anything? There was the Harry Mudd episode where the ship kept blowing up over and over and he didn't say shit. In last weeks episode they made a point of showing his spidey-sense going off before they drop out of warp, but again, he doesn't say shit. Pointless.

The Mudd one makes sense when you think about it - death was never coming, because the timeline was always being reset so they were never actually at risk of dying.

bileduct

Coach
The Mudd one makes sense when you think about it - death was never coming, because the timeline was always being reset so they were never actually at risk of dying.
I don't think that should really matter, but I'll take your point anyway.

The one from last week takes the cake though. Surely he would have said something before they dropped out of warp if his special ability is going off.

jargan83

Coach
Enjoyable first season but the finale seemed a bit rushed.

I've just read that season 2 may not be out until 2019.

bileduct

Coach
FMD.

I was having a conversation with this girl I've been getting to know and the subject of this show came up. She hasn't seen any of the other Star Trek shows but she absolutely loves Discovery. So At one point I mentioned that the show was a bit polarizing with a lot of Trek nerds and she said she couldn't understand why. So I started explaining to her that the new show breaks a few of the rules, or "official canon", ignores the prime directive, and some people didn't like the cosmetic changes to the Klingons.

She responded by saying "no, it's misogyny. People don't like it because it's not about straight white men."

My response was "but Star Trek hasn't been a "straight white man" story since the 60s."

"Yes it has!"

She had no idea who Sisko or Janeway were, and when it was pointed out to her that Voyager was based around a female captain her response was "that doesn't mean it's not misogynistic. Even shows with only women in them are still misogynistic."

To her, Deep Space Nine is a "straight white man" story.

I ended the conversation right there and will be staying away from that one.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
FMD.

I was having a conversation with this girl I've been getting to know and the subject of this show came up. She hasn't seen any of the other Star Trek shows but she absolutely loves Discovery. So At one point I mentioned that the show was a bit polarizing with a lot of Trek nerds and she said she couldn't understand why. So I started explaining to her that the new show breaks a few of the rules, or "official canon", ignores the prime directive, and some people didn't like the cosmetic changes to the Klingons.

She responded by saying "no, it's misogyny. People don't like it because it's not about straight white men."

My response was "but Star Trek hasn't been a "straight white man" story since the 60s."

"Yes it has!"

She had no idea who Sisko or Janeway were, and when it was pointed out to her that Voyager was based around a female captain her response was "that doesn't mean it's not misogynistic. Even shows with only women in them are still misogynistic."

To her, Deep Space Nine is a "straight white man" story.

I ended the conversation right there and will be staying away from that one.

Ha, it's definitely an issue though. Jump over to Reddit and have a read at some of the hate the show is getting because Burnham is played by a woman of colour and the 'lead' white guy turned out to be a villain.