What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars The Last Jedi *** SPOILERS ***

bileduct

Coach
https://www.investopedia.com/news/disneys-last-jedi-box-office-sales-lower-wall-street-expectations/

Ouch.... It looks like ticket sales won't even reach the low estimate of $650m.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-la...omentum-raising-concern-for-disney-1517245312

Geez... Sharply declining toy sales. Shelves full of the Rey, Leia and the dumb chinese girl.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/01/...s-story-is-getting-a-different-name-in-china/

Damn... "Star Wars" is being removed from the title of the Solo film in China to try and fool them into watching it.

Suck shit Disney.

Ahhh...true fan backlash.

First TLJ, now Trek.

Poor old Trekkie fans sooked about Lorca being too gritty and 'not my Captain' so the producers altered him half way through to arrest the creators original vision.

Poor ol Bileduct out on his own liking something so many others are coming to despise. The irony.

Last edited:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-la...omentum-raising-concern-for-disney-1517245312

Geez... Sharply declining toy sales. Shelves full of the Rey, Leia and the dumb chinese girl.

Just in regards to this, have you seen the shit Hasbro has dished out in action figures since AOTC?

FFS - I had figures for almost 40 years my kids still play with, as well as battle stations and ships. And the guns and lightsabers for each fig. The moulding now is hyper real but so so so very shit. Look wonderful in the packet for 40 year old virgins, but FFS don't take them out of the packet as they snap and break in no time.

I busted my AOTC figs for my kids and they were breaking with the simplest of turns and bangs and bops and pretend ptcho ptchoing. Kenner's are all alive and kicking.

And the female characters (let's face it, despite all the equal gender discussion, boys still play with boys toys and girls still play with girls toys) are whisper thin and break. No boy even if they want the Rey or Rose or Jynn Erso figure will want it to break easier than the blister bubble on the packaging when they take it off the backing cardboard.

I totally blame Hasbro. The uninspiring overpriced toys and the lack of imagination in a lot of the new Lego stuff for TLJ leaves a lot to be desired.

So whilst I absolutely loved the film and saw it five times in four weeks, the toys are utter shite.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Do you know what I do in forums about movies I don’t like?
Nothing, because I don’t go in them, because I don’t like the movie.

bileduct

Coach
Just in regards to this, have you seen the shit Hasbro has dished out in action figures since AOTC?

FFS - I had figures for almost 40 years my kids still play with, as well as battle stations and ships. And the guns and lightsabers for each fig. The moulding now is hyper real but so so so very shit. Look wonderful in the packet for 40 year old virgins, but FFS don't take them out of the packet as they snap and break in no time.

I busted my AOTC figs for my kids and they were breaking with the simplest of turns and bangs and bops and pretend ptcho ptchoing. Kenner's are all alive and kicking.

And the female characters (let's face it, despite all the equal gender discussion, boys still play with boys toys and girls still play with girls toys) are whisper thin and break. No boy even if they want the Rey or Rose or Jynn Erso figure will want it to break easier than the blister bubble on the packaging when they take it off the backing cardboard.

I totally blame Hasbro. The uninspiring overpriced toys and the lack of imagination in a lot of the new Lego stuff for TLJ leaves a lot to be desired.

So whilst I absolutely loved the film and saw it five times in four weeks, the toys are utter shite.
I'm just amused that after all the complaining about unfair gender representation in toy lines (like Black Widow in Avengers), they give the people what they supposedly want and the toys are still sitting on the shelves.

I have four boxes of worthless shit from The Phantom Menace (plus my old Darth Vader helmet case full of loose figures from the original trilogy), all still unopened in their original packages. Last I checked they were still worthless - thought the 12" dolls actually look pretty good, even the Padme/Amidala ones.

Is it shit toys or toy fatigue? We're gonna have 4 Star Wars films in 2 1/2 years, that's a lot of waves of toys for the collectors to keep up with.

I'm just amused that after all the complaining about unfair gender representation in toy lines (like Black Widow in Avengers), they give the people what they supposedly want and the toys are still sitting on the shelves.

I have four boxes of worthless shit from The Phantom Menace (plus my old Darth Vader helmet case full of loose figures from the original trilogy), all still unopened in their original packages. Last I checked they were still worthless - thought the 12" dolls actually look pretty good, even the Padme/Amidala ones.

Is it shit toys or toy fatigue? We're gonna have 4 Star Wars films in 2 1/2 years, that's a lot of waves of toys for the collectors to keep up with.

I have every PM figure in mint packs too. Bought at Toys R Us day of release in 1999. Totally over produced. Absolutely valueless. Last time I looked a few years ago, Obi Wan and Qui Gonn were going for $3USD or less. I had all AOTC but felt ripped off, so never bought anything from ROTS. The odd fig here or there, but that's it. They're absolute shit. I got all my old ones out when my son was 4 or 5 and we played and I thought fug it, he loves Jedis, got all the AOTC stuff out. Two dozen jedis in bits and pieces later. All the Kenner stuff kicks arse (as do He Man, Transformers, MASK).

Problem is, they sell on nostalgia. And the woogedy boogedy of FOMO and rare and bullshit. Same with footy cards. Sell to adults when they used to sell to kids. They got valuable if they survived. Now...folks buying Star Wars figures would mostly be adults and they buy direct and not off the supermarket dept store shelf. My Big W, Target and Kmart don't look like they've shifted the pre-launch stock they had, even with Xmas.

The fatigue too. Three movies in 2 years, plus the Solo and Ep 9 and its OTT. Tie Clone Wars cartoon finished a few years ago, Rebels is still going (or near done)...and all that has toys, plus regurgitation of the classic series and prequel series. We love the Lego Star Wars stuff in our house but there is so much of it produced now, and only so many $$$ to go around, we stick to the classic trilogy and some of the newer smaller sets. It's out of hand and after a couple of years, they re-release Jabba's Palace, or the Mos Eisley cantina or an X-Wing. Too expensive, never really discounted - and add in Avengers or DC Lego, and Ninjago and it's king pricey as. I have a mortgage and two kids...things ain't cheap and spurlging $15 on a Hasbro action figure for it to snap a day out of the box ain't my idea of fun.

And finally - yep, be careful what you wish for. All these people wringing their hands about lady figures. Well...you'd think Hasbro has done it's market research but no...listen to a couple dozen moms on FB have a menstrual cycle and then produce a million of two dozen lady figs and yeah, your shelves will clog up. The classic series only ever had 1 female character in 5 styles out of over 100 figs.

bileduct

Coach
I have every PM figure in mint packs too. Bought at Toys R Us day of release in 1999. Totally over produced. Absolutely valueless. Last time I looked a few years ago, Obi Wan and Qui Gonn were going for $3USD or less.
Remember the Darth Maul lightsabers? People were snapping them up and reselling them because there was such limited supply at first... then a few weeks later you couldn't even give one away.

eBay killed the collectibles market. Before that you had your local stores selling cards and shit and prices were based on regional availability. They disappeared almost overnight when eBay came along and prices plummeted.

Remember the Darth Maul lightsabers? People were snapping them up and reselling them because there was such limited supply at first... then a few weeks later you couldn't even give one away.

eBay killed the collectibles market. Before that you had your local stores selling cards and shit and prices were based on regional availability. They disappeared almost overnight when eBay came along and prices plummeted.

Yep
eBay killed the notion of 'rare' big time especially when Hasbro produce 5 million of each unit. Now u just go back online and find em.

LESStar58

Referee
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...f-white-creators-1202689891/#article-comments

Wow. The least successful and most maligned Star Wars film has barely left theatres and some PC automaton is complaining about the over-representation of white men?

FFS,honey. When there are female or PoC individuals capable of serving the story and making a better film than Rian Johnson did then I'm sure they'll get hired but until then leave your ideological piffle out of my favourite series of films!

Latest posts