What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting Team Please!!

sydraider

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
1. Goodwin
2. Best
3. Graham
4. Zillman
5. Howell
6. Carney
7. Dobson (gk)
8. Tilse
9. Withers
10. Thompson
11. Costigan
12. Learoyd-Lahrs
13. Tongue (c)

14. Weyman
15. Miller
16. Bickerstaff
17. Thurling

Big bench but the versitility of tongue, costigan, withers and zillman allows us to cover for pretty much anything

Pretty much agree with that side for the first round at this point.

Trials will give a clearer picture IMO and I dont think Henry will succumb to the same bullsh*t elliot did.

Look for Brett Kelly to be in the centres about round 4 or 5, my bold prediction.

aussies1st

Staff member
Raider_69 said:
1. Goodwin
2. Best
3. Graham
4. Zillman
5. Howell
6. Carney
7. Dobson (gk)
8. Tilse
9. Withers
10. Thompson
11. Costigan
12. Learoyd-Lahrs
13. Tongue (c)

14. Weyman
15. Miller
16. Bickerstaff
17. Thurling

Big bench but the versitility of tongue, costigan, withers and zillman allows us to cover for pretty much anything

That looks to be spot on for mind.

Chachi

Bench
Hate to break it to you, but unless L-L and Thommo have made a miraculous recovery from off season surgery there's no way we'll be seeing that team come round 1.

1- Bronx Goodwin
2- Colin Best
3- Phil Graham
4- William Zillman
5- Marshall Chalk or David Howell
6- Todd Carney
7- Michael Dobson (GK)
8- Dane Tilse
9- Lincoln Withers
10- Troy Thompson
11- Tom Learoyd- Lahrs
12- Neville Costigan
13- Alan Tongue (C)

14- Trevor Thurling
15- Josh Miller
16- Matt Bickerstaff
17- Michael Weyman

Dunnemann, Turner, frawley maybe?

Macko8

Juniors
julian87 said:
Centres and front row are the problem imo.

ill agree we could be in strife with the outside backs
but front row is the last position we are light or have a problem with.
thompson,logan,weyman,tilse,lomu(if ready)...
i know we wont be seeing thompson in the front row round 1, but we still have miller and thurling who can also play in the front row...these two play similar,aggresiveness is the key.They remind me of two lions running after a zebra in africa.

Jayme

Juniors
1- Bronx Goodwin
2- Colin Best
3- Phil Graham
4- William Zillman
5- David Howell
6- Todd Carney
7- Michael Dobson (GK)
8- Dane Tilse
9- Lincoln Withers
10- Troy Thompson
11- Glenn Tuner
12- Neville Costigan
13- Alan Tongue (C)

14- Andrew Dunneman
15- Josh Miller or Scott Logan
16- Matt Bickerstaff
17- Michael Weyman

Tom Learoyd- Lahrs Injured, Marshall Chalk????

Stuart

Juniors
Macko8 said:
ill agree we could be in strife with the outside backs
but front row is the last position we are light or have a problem with.
thompson,logan,weyman,tilse,lomu(if ready)...
i know we wont be seeing thompson in the front row round 1, but we still have miller and thurling who can also play in the front row...these two play similar,aggresiveness is the key.They remind me of two lions running after a zebra in africa.

Williams has apparently had a very good off season as well and would be in contention. I dont think the front row is an area of concern...

Raider_69

Post Whore
edabomb said:
Reasonable looking team. I'd bring Dunneman on to the bench though, I don't think Withers is an 80 minute hooker. I also don't rate Tongue in the 9.

I do find it interesting how you like so much aggression in your 2nd rowers but don't really mind about the props. I don't think there is enough intimidation with Thompson and Tilse in the 8 and 10, so I'd probably give Logan a start in place of Tilse based on the fact he was always a hard runner of the ball.

I'm also doubtful of Zillman and Howells ability to combine on defense. Worth giving it a go though, nothing ventured nothing gained.

With regards to the front row, i do actually prefer the tireless work horse in the front row, there are very few props in the game able to really make an impact with agression. Like O'Meley. None of which play for our club, so i tend to aim for a front row that can chew metres and hit ups all game. But with regards to aggression, i think Thurling, Miller, Weyman provide that from the bench, and if Tilse can get on the angry pills abit, he could do some real damage, he wasnt compared to a young Harrigan for nothing.

Spot on with Howell and Zillman, but at the end of the day, no matter who we name this season, our backline is going to leak points, the best defence is a good offence, so for the moment i dont think we have an option, no point playing a defencive backline as we cant, so lets play the "every try you score, we'll score 2" game

thickos

First Grade
For Round 1:

1. Bronx Goodwin
2. Colin Best
3. Phil Graham
4. David Howell
5. Craig Frawley
6. Todd Carney
7. Michael Dobson
8. Dane Tilse
9. Lincoln Withers
10. Michael Weyman
11. Matt Bickerstaff
12. Neville Costigan
13. Alan Tongue (captain!)

14. William Zillman
15. Josh Miller
16. Glen Turner
17. Andrew Dunemann

got no idea on the bench tbh, that one i've named lacks size but i still think those 4 guys will figure prominently in the early season action

Spike

First Grade
Compared to a number of other clubs, I can't see why the Raiders are favourites for the spoon. They lost a bit of experience last year but there are quality youngsters such as Dobson, Zillman, Goodwin and some of the up and coming forwards as well as their established players. I don't know whether the Raiders will make th 8, but they definitely won't end up with the spoon.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
1. Goodwin
2. Best
3. Graham
4. Howell
5. Frawley
6. Carney
7. Dobson
8. Weyman
9. Withers
10. Logan (Thompson when available)
11. Costigan
12. Turner (TLL when available)
13. Tongue (c)

14. Zillman
15. Miller
16. Bickerstaff
17. Tilse

Stuart

Juniors
1-Zillman
2-Best
3-Graham
4-Howell
5-Goodwin
6-Carney
7-Dobson
8-Tilse
9-Withers
10-Logan
11-Bickerstaff
12-Costigan
13-Tongue

14-Turner
15-Weyman
16-Miller
17-Duneman

PL

1-Chalk
2-Frawley
3-Cross
4-Kelly
5-Purtell
6-Campese
7-Herbert
8-Williams
9-Hinchliffe
10-Thurling
11-Picker
12-Jones
13-Buttriss

14-Rothery
15-Sau
16-Raston
17- lots of possibles, Barton, Pamatangi, McClean Lawrence Lasscock etc

Thats a shot at the PL and FG sides for round 1.

jed

First Grade
What's really sticking out to me is that most players in everyone's 17 seem to be ones who haven't played 1st grade for us, or whose experience last season for us was very limited (Miller, Zillman)

thickos

First Grade
Definitely agree Jed... while guys who had a full season of firsts, like Adrian Purtell, aren't figuring in anyone's side. I think he'll be there or thereabouts too.

jed

First Grade
Thickos, are you planning on removing that Union-loving Shifcofske from your banner? Hardly qualifies as "The Present" anymore, does he? :lol:

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Yeah well that's how I'd pick it, the coaches team will obviously be alot different. All depends on how the trials go.

Timbo

Staff member
I think this is everyone's ideal round one side. Hence the absence of Purtell.

When that round 1 team is named, that'll be the acid test for Henry. If guys like Purtell are still featuring when exponentially less talented, albeit more experienced, players are languishing on the sidelines, then it's Elliot all over again.

julian87

Juniors
Front row is a huge problem imo.

Thompson = Secong rower imo
Tilse = too soft too slow
logan = fingers crossed tbh, needs to start
Weyman = Heaps of potential, but not fit enough in the past for anything more than short bursts
Miller = Great, but very small
TLL = please please keep him in the second row
Jason Williams - The dark horse. His 40 odd mins on the field, if fully fit brings some strength ad aggro to the team.

Latest posts