What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 1 - 2024

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I don't get Jake Turbo in the team and Captain.
Suaali’i should have got the wing position over Lomax and Burton into the centre

BLM01

First Grade
I don't get Jake Turbo in the team and Captain.
Suaali’i should have got the wing position over Lomax and Burton into the centre

I disagree te J Turbo
Perfect fit for origin and leadership due to work on and off the ball
I liked Teddy as a player and unlucky not to be there as think Edwards will get found out under origin refereeing
I agree Lomax lucky as Suaali better winger and Ramien and Chrichton fir centres
Burton 18th man better

BLM01

First Grade
Overall pretty even this time round for me
We gave a tougher overall pack incl bench but they gave better backs snd cover there
NSW have to win this 1st one of its curtains

BLM01

First Grade
this is where New South Wales go wrong IMO Madge has said he had spoken for months with all people around or have been involved with New South Wales origin bouncing ideas and opinions and getting info on players characters etc,
he should be able to pick a team on what plays out on field even as well past origin games

Where it appears Queensland pretty much pick who is best available who they know will rip and tear

Dragon David

First Grade
Tedesco is still a great player but for SOO he fell into the Gallen trap wanting the ball way too much & getting in the way of letting good forwards & halves from doing their work.
I love the saying that "Teddy runs around like a headless chook". He is very lucky that he hasn't had his head knocked off every time he purposely falls into someones hard forearm.

He loves hogging the ball and it is too often that he does it. He is better off just backing up most of the time.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
So what role is Jurbo playing, the traditional prop role or is going to be the link man and McIness more doing the hitups etc.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Zac makes Origin yet in a few years time we will be hearing from all Parra fans how they made him into the rep player he is. Can't wait.

Saints have 3 origin players this season. Who would have thought at the start of the year. They will come back better players which is good for the club.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Good to see Reece Robson and McInness make the NSW squad. Both not good enough for Saints and look then now. These guys were let go for McCullough and Mitch Rein. Wow. That worked out so well for Saints.

Saints / Manly have 3 origin players and Parra have 1, Sharks 2, Dogs 1 (another as 18th man), Tigers / Souths 0. Apart from Roosters and Penrith Saints have more origin players than the other Syd clubs. Not bad.

TheRev

Coach
We have 3 in origin, but I do feel that all 3 are precariously placed:

o Zac: I'm almost certain Sualili had that right wing spot, but lack of quality centre options were around and it played out like this.. expect QLD to try and take advantage of Zacs lack of speed.. with grubbers behind him or walsh pressuring that edge and trying to use pure speed to get around Zac like we saw executed in club-land..

o Su'a: I think was also touch and go being selected over Fifita, I dont think Billy will sack anyone if they lose 1 game.. but Su'a will have to be amazing to keep holding that jersey.

o Hunt: Interesting to see how he goes, can he still handle the pace of origin? This series or next will be his last.. QLD now have both a hooker and a utility on the bench to keep going this hunt/grant combo, now imagine they get 1-2 forward injuries during the game.. with only 2 on the bench... Moving forward I think they will get back to 3 forwards and just run someone like Ponga/Dearden to cover hooker and the backline..

Lennyb

Juniors
We have 3 in origin, but I do feel that all 3 are precariously placed:

o Zac: I'm almost certain Sualili had that right wing spot, but lack of quality centre options were around and it played out like this.. expect QLD to try and take advantage of Zacs lack of speed.. with grubbers behind him or walsh pressuring that edge and trying to use pure speed to get around Zac like we saw executed in club-land..

o Su'a: I think was also touch and go being selected over Fifita, I dont think Billy will sack anyone if they lose 1 game.. but Su'a will have to be amazing to keep holding that jersey.

o Hunt: Interesting to see how he goes, can he still handle the pace of origin? This series or next will be his last.. QLD now have both a hooker and a utility on the bench to keep going this hunt/grant combo, now imagine they get 1-2 forward injuries during the game.. with only 2 on the bench... Moving forward I think they will get back to 3 forwards and just run someone like Ponga/Dearden to cover hooker and the backline..
All 3 are more than likely starters. Thats a plus.

since77

Juniors
Good to see Reece Robson and McInness make the NSW squad. Both not good enough for Saints and look then now. These guys were let go for McCullough and Mitch Rein
My memory is Robson's path to first grade was blocked by McInness & the ineptness of McGregor.
Rein was long gone at that point.
And as for McInness, blame Griffin. Didn't want to offer him a contract until later in the season. Dumb decision.

A smarter club could have actually kept them both........