What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 1 - 2024

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Origin in the 80's and 90's was amazing. Since the 00's lost it's luster and even more so with the banning of shoulder charges and punching.

One thing that is mostly stupid about Origin is the focus off NRL is gone completely. Hardly any news on the games. And why play this in the middle of the season. How many teams have been impacted by it?

If they are to play it then just stop the NRL all together and have rep month. Have a Samoa v Tonga origin series together with a NZ v England and Fiji v PNG best of 3 during the month. Rather than bring in a PNG team in the NRL, have this origin series for a month for PNG and the other countries to get into. Give these countries more exposure. At the end of the season Aust plays winner of NZ v England and in a 3 test series. Players can only be chosen from State of Origin teams. That way Pacific Islanders like Luai, etc can play for their countries rather than NSW or Qld.

I much prefer watching Tonga v Samoa games TBH. They show the same passion as what we saw in Origin in the 80's / 90's.

Clarkent

Juniors
Origin in the 80's and 90's was amazing. Since the 00's lost it's luster and even more so with the banning of shoulder charges and punching.

One thing that is mostly stupid about Origin is the focus off NRL is gone completely. Hardly any news on the games. And why play this in the middle of the season. How many teams have been impacted by it?

If they are to play it then just stop the NRL all together and have rep month. Have a Samoa v Tonga origin series together with a NZ v England and Fiji v PNG best of 3 during the month. Rather than bring in a PNG team in the NRL, have this origin series for a month for PNG and the other countries to get into. Give these countries more exposure. At the end of the season Aust plays winner of NZ v England and in a 3 test series. Players can only be chosen from State of Origin teams. That way Pacific Islanders like Luai, etc can play for their countries rather than NSW or Qld.

I much prefer watching Tonga v Samoa games TBH. They show the same passion as what we saw in Origin in the 80's / 90's.
That would he awesome but half of the Samoan teams in the Origin squads. In saying that tho the Samoan teams got huge depth and they can still field a very solid squad

1 Sua Faalogo
2 Greg Marzhew
3 Izack Tago
4 Tommy Talau
5 Khan-Pareira
6 Blaize Talagi
7 Daejarn Asi
8 Junior Paulo
9 Danny Levi
10 Stefano Utoikamanu
11 Luciano Leilua
12 Shaun Blore
13 Heilum Luki

14 Gordon Chan Kum Tong
15 Josh Papali'i
16 Royce Hunt
17 Conelly Lemuelu

Tongan Squad without Origin Players
1 Toutai Koula
2 Daniel Tupou
3 Will Penisini
4 Moses Suli
5 Stardord Toa
6 Latu Fainu
7 Isaya Katoa
8 Addin Fonua-Blake
9 Siliva Havili
10 Felise Kaufusi
11 David Fifita
12 Eli Katoa
13 Keon Kolomatangi

14 Deon Teaupa
15 Tevita Tatola
16 Hame Sele
17 Tyson Frizell

I still think both of these teams can bang out a solid match

RedVDave

First Grade
How sad is that with McInnes making his debut that's 3 SOO hookers we've let go (I'm sure he will slot in their at some point before people point out he's named at lock) Liddle has been great for us don't get me wrong but again it's just shows how amateurish our club is.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
With the Dragon's win today, I just need a couple of Blue's wins in the SOO games and then another Dragon's win against the Tigers to make up a fabulous week for me. "Make it so!"

shiloh dc

Juniors
The send off of Sua'alii is 100% correct. Cam Smith suggested it was a send off at clubland but not SOO. Totally disagree with that.
An early send off like this normally kills the spectacle of the game in 99% of the times. We really need 13 vs 13 as much as possible so maybe they can look at a situation where say NSW play with 12 men for 10 minutes but then can bring on an interchange player but incure a penalty of 3 interchanges.

WepnutV

Juniors
No
The send off of Sua'alii is 100% correct. Cam Smith suggested it was a send off at clubland but not SOO. Totally disagree with that.
An early send off like this normally kills the spectacle of the game in 99% of the times. We really need 13 vs 13 as much as possible so maybe they can look at a situation where say NSW play with 12 men for 10 minutes but then can bring on an interchange player but incure a penalty of 3 interchanges

no, Reece Walsh is not Built for origin. That’s not a send off.