What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 1 - 2024

RedVee

First Grade
Unfortunately DD I'm starting to do this with the Dragons. I haven't watched the full games or the highlights from the Cowboys, Roosters or Bulldogs games. I've taken to turning off at half time or earlier - irrespective of how they are playing. I need to do it for my health, sanity and family.
Yeah, I watched the first half of the dogs game and then had to leave. Heard the second half in the car radio…. Never bothered with watching the second half I’d recorded

SBD82

Coach
Wasn't my intention either, just don't call me names and we'll get on fine. Common courtesy.
To be fair, I didn’t call you a dick, I said you were being a dick. Although I concede that’s splitting hairs. My apologies.

It’s also common courtesy to not use a condescending line at the end of an otherwise reasonable post.

With respect to the initial debate. I don’t think Hunt deserves the grace that you’re giving him. I agree that he would do better with a greater calibre of player around him. But that’s probably true of every player that’s ever played the game.

Where I think he lacks is that he is unable or unwilling to play for his teammates. A halfback should straighten the attack and play to his outside or inside men in a way that gives them an advantage. Instead he plays for himself and dumps the ball. As a senior player and playmaker he should be improving the players around him. He doesn’t. If it was one or two players you could say they were to blame, but it’s been a consistent theme throughout his tenure with us.

A halfback should also be able to read and control the tempo of a game. He consistently fails at this, playing fast when he should play slow, and drifting and slowing the game down when he should play fast. He doesn’t control the game with a smart kicking game, even though he has shown that he has the skills to kick the ball well. This suggests that he either makes bad decisions under fatigue or stress, or that he doesn’t read the game well.

He has many great qualities that make him a good football player. He’s elite in one position and I suspect with his skill set he could be elite at 5/8 too. But lacking the qualities that I listed above, he is simply unsuited to being a halfback.

Dragon David

First Grade
Unfortunately DD I'm starting to do this with the Dragons. I haven't watched the full games or the highlights from the Cowboys, Roosters or Bulldogs games. I've taken to turning off at half time or earlier - irrespective of how they are playing. I need to do it for my health, sanity and family.
Well even the girls bombed out tonight by a field goal and we dominated until the last 6 minutes. Women's series still alive. Oh well, that's bloody footie for you.

Nutz

Bench
Well even the girls bombed out tonight by a field goal and we dominated until the last 6 minutes. Women's series still alive. Oh well, that's bloody footie for you.
I enjoyed watching it. I'm rapt that the girls are slowly gaining popularity. There are still a lot of people who won't watch it but in years to come, hopefully it will be prime time viewing.
The girls are great athletes.
One thing I'd like to see is a women's footy, one that's slightly smaller and lighter. They have trouble with long passes and can't kick it very far especially place kicks for goals.

BLM01

First Grade
I'm hating saying this but Moses is way more suited to Origin than Hynes. If they persevere with Luia then he needs a half who can defend...any ideas. Maybe Burton?
Mitchell for Joseph Sua'ali'i but is he fit enough and will he be lazy?
The best back in SOO1 was Lomax and maybe he should be centre.
Lomax has proved thanks to Flanno he is a better winger and finisher because at centre he cant draw and pass properly

2010Dragons

Bench
Yep you were right this time
I still believe the dramatics of it all and the situation aided in the minds of the MRC NRL and they had to follow through with a big penalty
I mean it is not as if external influences have done something like that before to persuade their decision
I ask you this as you thought it was worst ever
Why did he not get Grade 3 or intentional as you indicated it was
Food for thought
Why? Because four weeks is enough. And it appeases the masses, the media and the fans.
Remember SOO is just an exhibition game to draw in new supporters and sponsors. Plus they make over $20 million from revenue. Players earn over 30k per series.
Ask any player in the NRL if they would like to play this exhibition game.
They would all say yes for the Ching Ching Cash!
Ask a rust on fan like me, would you rather watch an exhibition game or watch your team win the competition?
I know my answer….DRAGONS FOREVER!!
Piss this SOO Exhibition off to USA and play it in the off season.

Dragon David

First Grade
Ensures a crowd for the 3rd game. Am I just cynical??
"That's Entertainment" for the masses. The NSW coach Kylie Hilder was devastated to watch her team miss a chance to win the series in Newcastle, she could not deny her excitement at the prospect of a decider. "It's great for the game," she said in her post-match press conference.

And it is money, money, money as the show must go on.