What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State Of Origin Game One - 7:30pm Channel 9!!!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not only that but it is on 7.30-10pm so we will get all the build up and after match comments. Good on you Ch9!

Nuke

Staff member
Indeed.

I may in fact bypass watching Origin live on Imparja and watch it on 2hr delay on Ch9 just so I can make the most of this wonderful occasion.

For those outside WA, in my memory, the earliest Origin has ever been shown on free-to-air tv in Perth (when League was at it's peak here) was 8:30pm. Back then, the Origin broadcasts began with those funny (and cheesey!) stories that somehow revolved around Origin (Paul Harragon as the giant in a Jack & The Beanstalk story springs to mind ... and from memory, Allan Langer played Jack), before the familiar We Will Rock You stomp-stomp-clap rythem was used as the opening title sequence for the game.

I think this heyday I'm talking about was from 1992-1995 (inclusive ... and possibly actually started before then). Geez they were good days. I at times wish I was older in those days so I could appreciate them more than I did (I'm 27 now, so I was in the late primary school to early high school years then). Had I known then what I know now, I would definitely make the most of those times, knowing how bleak the WA League landscape was gonna be for the following 12+ years.

b0rt

Juniors
ill be at the club while its live on imparja but will be training so i guess im watching it on channel 9 too

Perth Red

Post Whore
Normally I'd wait an hour and watch it on Fox to miss the adverts but I think I will support 9 given the committment they have shown to the game by screening it at this time.

Alehana

Juniors
Indeed.

I may in fact bypass watching Origin live on Imparja and watch it on 2hr delay on Ch9 just so I can make the most of this wonderful occasion.

For those outside WA, in my memory, the earliest Origin has ever been shown on free-to-air tv in Perth (when League was at it's peak here) was 8:30pm. Back then, the Origin broadcasts began with those funny (and cheesey!) stories that somehow revolved around Origin (Paul Harragon as the giant in a Jack & The Beanstalk story springs to mind ... and from memory, Allan Langer played Jack), before the familiar We Will Rock You stomp-stomp-clap rythem was used as the opening title sequence for the game.

I think this heyday I'm talking about was from 1992-1995 (inclusive ... and possibly actually started before then). Geez they were good days. I at times wish I was older in those days so I could appreciate them more than I did (I'm 27 now, so I was in the late primary school to early high school years then). Had I known then what I know now, I would definitely make the most of those times, knowing how bleak the WA League landscape was gonna be for the following 12+ years.

i was 2 at that time, so i dont have a clue what ur talking about haha.

Nuke

Staff member
I feel for you Alehana ... you missed the Golden Age for Rugby League in WA. 16 First Grade teams in the WARL, The Sunday Footy Show, Sunday arvo footy at 12:30pm, NRL (well, NSWRL as it was then known) games at the WACA every year (as much as I can remember anyway), the massive hype surrounding a Perth team in the NRL (including 24,932 people at the WACA for their first game), Origin on at 8:30pm ... I could go on.

Like I said, I at times wish I was older at the time so I could make the most of these times, but if anything, it's given me a taste of what could be and it's turned into a passion of mine to get League back to where it should be in WA. I had a taste of it, a brief taste, then nothing for 12 years ... and in that time, I've become hungrier and hungrier for it's return! That is why I want the WA Reds to become the success we all want them to be ... so I can fully appreciate their presence this time around.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Talk about bad timing, the Reds were disbanded just before I arrived in Perth! I did get to see them play in '97 though, and they lost to a very poor Sheffield Eagles side!

Alehana

Juniors
I feel for you Alehana ... you missed the Golden Age for Rugby League in WA. 16 First Grade teams in the WARL, The Sunday Footy Show, Sunday arvo footy at 12:30pm, NRL (well, NSWRL as it was then known) games at the WACA every year (as much as I can remember anyway), the massive hype surrounding a Perth team in the NRL (including 24,932 people at the WACA for their first game), Origin on at 8:30pm ... I could go on.

Like I said, I at times wish I was older at the time so I could make the most of these times, but if anything, it's given me a taste of what could be and it's turned into a passion of mine to get League back to where it should be in WA. I had a taste of it, a brief taste, then nothing for 12 years ... and in that time, I've become hungrier and hungrier for it's return! That is why I want the WA Reds to become the success we all want them to be ... so I can fully appreciate their presence this time around.

All of what you say is something i cant comprehend, have u died gone to heaven and then come back and described what heavens like? two sunday footy shows?? 24k showing support omfg where have they all gone, hopefully they'll come out soon and show their support. i have a feeling they all went to dockers but some1 prove me wrong plz.

Why has it declined so much in 12 years, where have all these people gone, where did all those teams go which teams where there originally?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess there was a lot of bitter people at having their team taken away! We basically left the door wide open and gave a big invite to the AFL, Soccer and lately ARU to walk in unopposed and take those supporters, juniors and corporate partners. The NRL turned its back on Perth and the RL fans turned their back on RL!

The signs are still there that there is plenty of dormant support for the game here, the crowds for the NRL games a couple of years ago were pretty good and you see plenty of RL shirts around the city. Will be really interesting to see tonights viewing figures.

Alehana

Juniors
at work on saturday night, there were two guys at the opposite ends of the bar one wearing a qld SOO shirt the other wearing a NSW SOO shirt, couldn't help myself laughing

Alehana

Juniors
Its On Boys, This Is What We Have Waited For Bye AFL Dominance The Ratings Will Go Thru The Roof