What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of origin series

Iamback

Coach
His defence is very underrated. I thought losing Kikau would make him less effective but he’s not afraid of contact.

If they go with different halves, I’d have him as the 14 but that’s probably unpopular.

This will be the make or break for Fittler if they lose game two.

You don't get to be a regular in our setup with poor defence.

The problem with Fittler is he seems to lack a plan.

Take last Origin, He clearly wanted guys to do what they do for their clubs. Yet picked wingers on their opposite side.

There was plan to use Hynes.

He too plays club footy on the left. Yet came on the right with JAC another left side player.

Someone like Des who is a great at tactics would be better

Exsilium

First Grade
You don't get to be a regular in our setup with poor defence.

The problem with Fittler is he seems to lack a plan.

Take last Origin, He clearly wanted guys to do what they do for their clubs. Yet picked wingers on their opposite side.

There was plan to use Hynes.

He too plays club footy on the left. Yet came on the right with JAC another left side player.

Someone like Des who is a great at tactics would be better

Playing players out of position in a game where you can literally pick anyone from the eligible state is absolute dumb f**kery.

Black Diamond

Juniors
I have seen the back and forth between Luke and Gird89 but don't really want to enter the argument. I have seen Graham mentioned and agree that he was (somewhat) of an earlier prototype of what Yeo is. What I would add is that we, the Panthers have had a ball playing middle before.

For a few seasons Latu was a bit of a revelation for us. Then Jimmy opened his fat gob, and we lost him to GC where players go to become bums.

I still don't think they were used anywhere near as much as we use Yeo in the role.

Murray is also an interesting type of #13. He is a genuine ball player but unlike Yeo who is a 1st receiver basically at the dead centre of the field -Murray is quicker and more agile and often pops up towards edges at 1st and 2nd receiver. What makes him super dangerous is he runs lines where he looks like the intended line breaker and draws the defence, only for him to either get cut out, or receive the ball and promote it with halves like timing and skill. If the defence believe he is going to pass he has the mixture of speed, power and agility to break through. If Murray had a kicking game he could easily be a halfback though it would be as waste of his talents.

Also, I have seen talk about Teddy running the Right side attack and Luai being 'stuck' on the left. Well, the exact same thing happens at the Panthers with Edwards - though Edwards is not quite as capable a line breaker or Ball player that Teddy (once) was.
What do you mean "Jimmy opened his fat gob" what happened there?

Realistically To’o and Martin ain’t getting dropped. Yeo’s role might change (ie go to the bench).

Crichton was there because Latrell was injured and if Latrell and Turbo are for then he doesn’t play.

The question for me is does Luai play? If they go Hynes at 7 maybe. Otherwise I think it is Reynolds and Walker.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Realistically To’o and Martin ain’t getting dropped. Yeo’s role might change (ie go to the bench).

Crichton was there because Latrell was injured and if Latrell and Turbo are for then he doesn’t play.

The question for me is does Luai play? If they go Hynes at 7 maybe. Otherwise I think it is Reynolds and Walker.
No way can Tommy be picked again. He was torn apart in defence the man is finished

Iamback

Coach

Murray is injured.

If Walker comes in then Cook will come in, seems like too many changes from a side that wasn't far away.

Particularly when you have the TPJ and Hudson Young situation.

It ends up being 6 or 7 changes

Alintheeast

Juniors
Interesting games on weekend Laui v Keary/Manu, Hynes v Munster, Turbo v Hammer. Souths have Dragons emotional game see if Walker keeps his cool. Might have effect on Origin selection.

forby

Juniors
Cronk said they need to look at temperament and control for the next SOO, and then didn't mention Cody Walker as a selection option. Walker would be baited and lose it big time.

Cronk said they need to look at temperament and control for the next SOO, and then didn't mention Cody Walker as a selection option. Walker would be baited and lose it big time.
Cronk is a selector/coach for Qld,. why go on his recommendations.
If Fittler is incapable of implementing a game plan, it wouldn't matter who was selected.
Its becoming quite obvious from News Corp. they don't want Luai or Crichton and want Yeo benched, so let the media select the team.

Alintheeast

Juniors
My QLD relatives all agree it is NSWs unnecessary Biffoo that costs them games. We are still looking to get square for Beetson hitting Cronin. The Maroons are master of the niggle and NSW bite every time. They will have Walker on a string.

Iamback

Coach
Cronk is a selector/coach for Qld,. why go on his recommendations.
If Fittler is incapable of implementing a game plan, it wouldn't matter who was selected.
Its becoming quite obvious from News Corp. they don't want Luai or Crichton and want Yeo benched, so let the media select the team.

News hates Penrith due to the media ban

mxlegend99

Referee
My side would be:

1. Dylan Edwards (Teddy can get f**ked)
2. Josh Addo-Carr (LW)
3. Latrell Mitchell (LC)
4. Tommy Turbo (RC)
5. Brian To'o (RW)
6. Nicho Hynes
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Payne Haas
9. Api Korisau
10. Junior Paulo
11. Liam Martin
12. Cam Murray
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Matt Burton (left centre if Mitchell not fit)
15. Tyson Frizzell
16. Spencer Leniu
17. Hudson Young

18th Man: Stephen Crichton (right centre replacement if Turbo is out, or bench if Mitchell is and Burton starts)

Hynes would be a great halves partner for Cleary at full strength IMO, and this is a great opportunity to hand him the #6 using Cleary being out as the excuse for dropping Luai. Teddy is a ball hog and no halves pairing is going to look good when he loves to jump in when NSW have momentum and take a hitup after faking passing 5 times.

Fox and To'o should play in their club positions, and if Burton or Crichton are needed they should play on the side of the field they're more familiar with. With the player they have a combination with outside of them.

Adam Reynolds is the best bet for a win at Suncorp. Im willing to back Hudson Young for Game 2. There's not much else to pick from and it would be harsh to drop him after one game. I know I dropped TPJ after one game, but the bloke was only picked because Leniu wasn't available.

I feel it's a bit unfair to drop Luai who was good in Game 1 and Crichton who had his best game too despite being on the wrong side of the field. But we all know if NSW lose that Luai would be blamed no matter how good he plays. Or how poorly everyone else does. The Panthers playmaker is the reason we lost.

The Realist

Juniors
What do you mean "Jimmy opened his fat gob" what happened there?

When we were in the final stages of signing Maloney, he let slip something about our TPA's in a media interview. That meant we had to shed some more cap space and Latu was the one that had to go. If Maloney had kept his mouth shut, we (allegedly) would have been able to keep Latu.