What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of origin series

Luke Bowden

First Grade
You are kidding yourself. Some of the things you say make no sense.

Panthers revolutionised the game with the way yeo plays.

He has become the best forward in the game.. because he has become such a good ball player and plays as a first receiver...

Since the start of time your 7 in attack was normally your first receiver and directs the team around the field..

Panthers changed that about 3.5/4 years ago and made yeo the first receiver. He directs the team.

He decides when to play short or out the back..

It's not some secret... literally every commentator talks about it... how yeo is an extra playmaker out there who directs the team around...

Who has done that before??? What teams have used that tactic??

Lewis was a decent ball playing forward but he was never the point of attack at lock...

Teams have tried to copy us with our success since we started it.. but no one does it as good as yeo..

It works at club level.. but billy's worked out how to counter it in origin...

Was yeo playing first receiver on Wednesday? Yep....

Go back and watch the knights with joey or broncs with Alfie...

Find me a 13 that was first receiver all game directing the team around.

You're really off the mark with this.

And it's not like I've just been saying this since Wednesday...

Most half decent pundits that understand the game knew we'd need to change up our attack this year to keep our attack firing..

Ivan's kept playing the same style he created and has played for the last 4 years and teams are getting better and better at handling us.

I mean can you honestly tell me watching a game that it isn't incredibly obvious who is getting the ball when we set up...

It's fine yeo playing first receiver but the ratio needs to change from 80% yeo to 80% nathan

Mate I get that your an enthusiastic fan who likes to watch every game and analyse it to the best of your ability, but your looking at the game through the eyes of a fan..

The fact that you’re naming the players is the first big tell tale sign.

Yeo isn’t even close to the first ball playing middle, have you ever watched Artie Beetson play? Or more recently Jimmy Graham…

The NSW middles are being used in the same way the Kangaroos setup, not surprisingly considering that Tedesco runs the Roosters the same way.

You say that Yeo is the “Link” (which is an old rugby Union term) which is just not true. Yeo is just our predominant middle whose job it is to roll the team down the field and “release” (correct modern coaching term) the ball to our spine if and when they want it.

As the game goes on and we exhaust the opposition with our aggressive defence (something this team has actually revolutionised) Yeo just releases more.

As I said, it’s a structure that under 15’s can handle, so it’s not complicated at all.

Girds89

Bench
Mate I get that your an enthusiastic fan who likes to watch every game and analyse it to the best of your ability, but your looking at the game through the eyes of a fan..

Yeo isn’t even close to the first ball playing middle, have you ever watched Artie Beetson play? Or more recently Jimmy Graham…

The NSW middles are being used in the same way the Kangaroos setup, not surprisingly considering that Tedesco runs the Roosters the same way.

You say that Yeo is the “Link” (which is an old rugby Union term) which is just not true. Yeo is just our predominant middle whose job it is to roll the team down the field and “release” (correct modern coaching term) the ball to our spine if and when they want it.

As the game goes on and we exhaust the opposition with our aggressive defence (something this team has actually revolutionised) Yeo just releases more.

As I said, it’s a structure that under 15’s can handle, so it’s not complicated at all.

What a load of bs.

I read all that till you tried to tell me James Graham played like yeo.

Basically you're right and every commentator whose played the game at the highest level is wrong than i guess.

Yeo hasn't revolutionised the game in the way he plays..

Apparently it's been like that forever and u15s were doing it since forever and it's not complicated haha..

Funny how we were the most dominant team in the nrl era ever the last 4 years with a game plan that's been around forever...

Munky

Coach

Yeo perfected what James Graham was doing for the Dogs from 2012 to 2014.

Beetson was known for his post contact ball playing but was before my time so can't give give anecdotes.

Yeo was playing halfback in attacking positions each week Cleary was out the last few seasons. If you believe May or SOS was then I have a bridge to sell you.

Girds89

Bench
Yeo perfected what James Graham was doing for the Dogs from 2012 to 2014.

Beetson was known for his post contact ball playing but was before my time so can't give give anecdotes.

Yeo was playing halfback in attacking positions each week Cleary was out the last few seasons. If you believe May or SOS was then I have a bridge to sell you.

James Graham passing the ball to a prop every now and than is much different to yeo getting the ball almost every time we are in attacking territory.

Yeo literally directs the team around...

And therein lies the issue... teams know come play 3 onwards when yeo gets it there's a 80%+ chance the ball goes out the back to Nathan....

It was revolutionary a few years back having a 13 direct the team all game...

We've been worked out..

Nathan needs to take control.

No reason yeo can play one wider and still threaten by having props run off him.

Nath can hit him to ball play or out the back to luai..

Luke Bowden

First Grade
What a load of bs.

I read all that till you tried to tell me James Graham played like yeo.

Basically you're right and every commentator whose played the game at the highest level is wrong than i guess.

Yeo hasn't revolutionised the game in the way he plays..

Apparently it's been like that forever and u15s were doing it since forever and it's not complicated haha..

Funny how we were the most dominant team in the nrl era ever the last 4 years with a game plan that's been around forever...
The commentators that you are referring to are speaking to enthusiastic fans like yourself.

There is nothing wrong with that, it’s just not the way the game is coached.

Girds89

Bench
The commentators that you are referring to are speaking to enthusiastic fans like yourself.

There is nothing wrong with that, it’s just not the way the game is coached.

Luke bowden knows more than cronk, brandy, mal, anasta.

I've read alot of things on this forum and PI but that takes the cake.

Like players who played at the highest level listen to plebs that have never played the game at any sort of level remotely close to them about how its played...

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Luke bowden knows more than cronk, brandy, mal, anasta.

I've read alot of things on this forum and PI but that takes the cake.

Like players who played at the highest level listen to plebs that have never played the game at any sort of level remotely close to them about how its played...

No, I’m actually saying exactly what they are, you are just struggling to comprehend it. In fact, the last conference I was at, Mal was the one talking about how he goes about preparing the Kangaroos compared to how he coached the Maroons.

Cooper Cronk said after the game that the Blues need to simplify the attack and straighten right up. Which is how we attack, when Cleary and Yeo are actually running the show.

You Clearly listen to a lot of different people, but your interpretation of what they are saying is off.

But hey, that’s ok, I don’t really care what a stranger on the internet thinks, I was just hoping to help you be a little less annoying on here. Guess we are stuck with “Panther Ball not working” and Yeo being a “Link” man.

all good

Go Panthers

Girds89

Bench
No, I’m actually saying exactly what they are, you are just struggling to comprehend it. In fact, the last conference I was at, Mal was the one talking about how he goes about preparing the Kangaroos compared to how he coached the Maroons.

Cooper Cronk said after the game that the Blues need to simplify the attack and straighten right up. Which is how we attack, when Cleary and Yeo are actually running the show.

You Clearly listen to a lot of different people, but your interpretation of what they are saying is off.

But hey, that’s ok, I don’t really care what a stranger on the internet thinks, I was just hoping to help you be a little less annoying on here. Guess we are stuck with “Panther Ball not working” and Yeo being a “Link” man.

all good

Go Panthers
If cleary and yeo weren't running the show on Wednesday who was lol hahaha????

Our attack has been bog average this year... because teams have worked out how we attack..

Yes we and nsw need to straighten up lol... every man and their dog knows that haha.

You keep denying panthers ball is a thing yet you literally say in that post when yeo and nath run the show lol.... you are confusing yourself mate.

It's not a secret how we play anymore... it's been commented on by experts and tried to be replicated by teams the last 4 years..

Freddy's just tried to copy how penrith attack instead of changing things...

You are acting like you know how we attack for nsw and penrith, yet are denying panther ball is a thing, but not once, NOT ONCE, have you tried to explain how they (nsw) structured the attack??

Please enlighten me..

Cause everything that's been said since by actual players that played at the highest level don't really align with what your saying.

I'm not trying to be a prick.. you are just well of the mark.

I appreciate a lot of your posts and I agree with alot, especially your thoughts on marto.

But you are flying solo in your thoughts on this..

Luke Bowden

First Grade
If cleary and yeo weren't running the show on Wednesday who was lol hahaha????

Our attack has been bog average this year... because teams have worked out how we attack..

Yes we and nsw need to straighten up lol... every man and their dog knows that haha.

You keep denying panthers ball is a thing yet you literally say in that post when yeo and nath run the show lol.... you are confusing yourself mate.

It's not a secret how we play anymore... it's been commented on by experts and tried to be replicated by teams the last 4 years..

Freddy's just tried to copy how penrith attack instead of changing things...

You are acting like you know how we attack for nsw and penrith, yet are denying panther ball is a thing, but not once, NOT ONCE, have you tried to explain how they (nsw) structured the attack??

Please enlighten me..

Cause everything that's been said since by actual players that played at the highest level don't really align with what your saying.

I'm not trying to be a prick.. you are just well of the mark.

I appreciate a lot of your posts and I agree with alot, especially your thoughts on marto.

But you are flying solo in your thoughts on this..
Watch how the Roosters setup

Watch how we setup

Then compare that to how the Blues setup.

Tedesco is controlling the Blues in good ball.

Cleary is being choked out of the game, he’s not free to attack how he wants. How many times did he attack down the right?? Tedesco all night, overcalling all night long. Is that how you think we play? Have you not seen Cleary hitting our right edge back rower with a short ball all night, before taking the line on himself?

The Roosters are going shit because their main man is playing shit in the roosters system and he’s doing the same thing to the Blues.

Unfortunately Nathan is unfairly copping all the flack for it.

Yeo is bringing the blues out of their own half, so I guess in that sense they are playing like us.

Trust me, I’m well aware on this site I’m flying Solo, that’s fine, I just look at the game from a different perspective

Kilkenny

Coach
My belated thoughts on SOO.

You just knew once Qld had the man sent to the bin. They were always gonna find a way to win, it’s just what they do.

Kilkenny

Coach
I maintain that they don’t win that game if Dylan Edwards is our FB. Hell I go as far as saying that they don’t win if Gutho is our FB
Tedesco will be there for Game Two. If the Blues lose game two, which is highly probable Tedesco May call time on his SOO career and Dylan will get a crack in the dead rubber.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Tedesco will be there for Game Two. If the Blues lose game two, which is highly probable Tedesco May call time on his SOO career and Dylan will get a crack in the dead rubber.
Which is so dumb, but I agree.

Tedesco has been a great player for a long time, but he’s been terrible all year. He deserved a game to prove he’s still up to it, but he will cost us the series.

Girds89

Bench
Watch how the Roosters setup

Watch how we setup

Then compare that to how the Blues setup.

Tedesco is controlling the Blues in good ball.

Cleary is being choked out of the game, he’s not free to attack how he wants. How many times did he attack down the right?? Tedesco all night, overcalling all night long. Is that how you think we play? Have you not seen Cleary hitting our right edge back rower with a short ball all night, before taking the line on himself?

The Roosters are going shit because their main man is playing shit in the roosters system and he’s doing the same thing to the Blues.

Unfortunately Nathan is unfairly copping all the flack for it.

Yeo is bringing the blues out of their own half, so I guess in that sense they are playing like us.

Trust me, I’m well aware on this site I’m flying Solo, that’s fine, I just look at the game from a different perspective

I give up...

Continue flying solo on this one mate

Kilkenny

Coach
SOO is just a distraction for me. Sure nice to see the Blues win particularly given how many players we have involved but my take from the game was no injuries to our players which is main focus.

The Realist

Juniors
Maybe a bit blasphemous to say around these parts but I wouldn’t mind if NSW picked Gutho at fullback, I think he’s just as good as Edwards in a lot of areas, plus he’s a little better in attack. Our right edge really needed someone to help open it up since Tedesco is worthless. (Freddy won’t drop Tedesco anyway but whatever)

Luai had a decent game but I still think they should go Hynes at 6, the Cleary/Luai combo isn’t even really firing right now and they only combine on the left side, which pretty much made our right side useless and just made the game far easier for Queensland.

I have a strong dislike toward him, but Walker is by far the form #6. And he plays on the right just as much as on the left. Would be even more useful if Cook is also selected as well as Latrell. Murray looks to have injured himself, otherwise Walker would have to be a shoe in.

Latest posts