What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stats Show Eels Are Worst Team In NRL - Daily Telegraph 3rd May 2011

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
751691-parramatta.jpg

Stats show Eels are worst team in NRL

By Dean Richie
3rd May 2011

PARRAMATTA are officially the worst team in the NRL.

If you disagree, take a look at these damning statistics.

The Parramatta Eels are 16th and last for points scored this season, last for tries scored, last for line breaks, last for tackle busts, last for off-loads, last for metres conceded, second last for run metres, second last for points conceded and second last for line breaks conceded.

And it gets worse.

TAB Sportsbet yesterday pushed Parramatta out to a whopping 100/1 to win the Telstra Premiership.

This from a team that just 20 months ago ran out in front 82,000 fans at ANZ Stadium - as the pride of NSW - to confront Melbourne in the NRL grand final.

"They have promised their fans the world and delivered them an atlas," said TAB Sportsbet spokesman Glenn Munsie.

It seems the wheels are completely off at Parramatta after a 30-0 drubbing by St George Illawarra last Sunday at WIN Jubilee.

The Eels were out-played, out-classed and out-smarted.

With coach Steve Kearney in camp with New Zealand, Eels chief executive Paul Osborne was yesterday left to answer questions about his club's demise.

"St George Illawarra are the benchmark and that's where we want to get to," Osborne said.

"There is still some work to be done but I am confident we have the right bloke in charge.

"We will get there."

As some fans demand to know why the Eels sacked Daniel Anderson - who took the team to the 2009 grand final - for Kearney, Osborne said: "I am not going into the past. Steve was brought to the club for specific reasons and to do a specific job.

"The results aren't coming on the field but I am seeing a lot of positives off the field.

"Success won't come overnight but it will come. We are building a solid foundation."

Anderson had a solid if unspectacular record at Parramatta, winning 25 from 52 games for a success percentage of 48 percent.

Kearney's side is now paying $101 for the title alongside Cronulla and Penrith.

Showing how savagely they have drifted in betting, Parramatta were paying $15 after round one this year.

The Eels are also third favourite (paying $6) to sustain the most losses this season behind Cronulla ($2.25) and Penrith ($4.50).

"Parramatta have been a major disappointment right across the board," Munsie said. "There isn't one player in their side who you could say has been going OK.

"Jarryd Hayne has done slightly less than zero this season."

The Eels are aware they need to urgently bolster their playing roster - hence their desire to sign Chris Sandow (Souths), Tom Symonds (Roosters), Will Hopoate (Manly) and Adam Blair (Storm).

However, Sandow, Symonds and Blair will all reject Parramatta's interest.

Eels star Jarryd Hayne conceded this week: "We have the potential and shouldn't be in the position we are in."

Coach Kearney refuses to be downcast. After the heavy loss on Sunday, he was more than happy to answer media questions and did not look a coach under pressure.

"There is a difference [in the quality of teams] and if we want to be a competitive football team, we've got to be able to compete for the 80 minutes," Kearney said.

Link: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rst-team-in-comp/story-e6frexnr-1226048678241

Last edited:

Gaffman

Juniors
Yeah its hard to swallow, but we really do suck the big one this year :) And this being the first year i ponied up to be a member, slapped that sticker on my car and that big stupid gold thing on my keyring. Not saying I regret it but sheesh... Its only May and there isn't much to cheer about.

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah its hard to swallow, but we really do suck the big one this year :) And this being the first year i ponied up to be a member, slapped that sticker on my car and that big stupid gold thing on my keyring. Not saying I regret it but sheesh... Its only May and there isn't much to cheer about.

Don't feel too bad... I am sure there are some people who are stupid enough to wander around wearing that horrible canary yellow baseball cap. Compared to them a little keyring and a bumper sticker are un-noticeable.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Um - WOW?

Is this a serious article??

It's plainly obvious that we suck this year. It's a MASSIVE overachievement that we're not last at the moment.

If Hayne can single-handedly win us 4 more games this year, then miracle of miracles, we might not finish last!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They missed the most important stat:

Wins: 3 (equal 10th)

There's 4 teams worse than us, and none of them have played both the Dragons and Storm.

The Raiders are coming dead last and they haven't played either of them.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Of course we are last in all those areas. With our style of play where we are last in offloads it's going to lead to less tries, breaks etc.

Gronk

Staff member
It's not a crisis that our stats are low, because we're in a re-building year.

The crisis is that in our re-building year, we can't sign anyone ! I challenge anyone to disagree with that fact.

The Dogs re-built last year and must have signed 7 good FG players. How are we going ?

strider

Post Whore
It's not a crisis that our stats are low, because we're in a re-building year.

The crisis is that in our re-building year, we can't sign anyone ! I challenge anyone to disagree with that fact.

The Dogs re-built last year and must have signed 7 good FG players. How are we going ?
agree 100% (110% even)

eel01s

Bench
Well we were told that SK is a coach that will attract players as they want to play for him. Let's see how that pans out.

At present, the club is used as a bargaining chip by player managers, nothing more. How did we sink so low? The club has performed well since 1998, with many finals and two grand final appearances. Why aren't we seen as a winning club with a good culture?

Last year, the Bulldogs were hopeless on field after a good 2009. Did it affect players wanting to go to that club? What is the difference (that is a rhetorical question)?

Every one has hit the panic button. Name one player that parra has targeted that has left left the club they play for and chosen another club in the NRL! None, the only players that we have missed out on have elected to stay with the team they have been with!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if we are the worst, why aren't we coming last ?

how come we are winning games ?

slow news day

barney gumble

Juniors
if we are the worst, why aren't we coming last ?

Early days yet.

how come we are winning games ?

Are we?, 3 from 8 including last week's fluke in the 80th minute.

slow news day

The world's most wanted man was killed yesterday, perhaps that might sell more papers than a story about the Eels.

Parra Guru

Coach
Don't feel too bad... I am sure there are some people who are stupid enough to wander around wearing that horrible canary yellow baseball cap. Compared to them a little keyring and a bumper sticker are un-noticeable.

tbh I'd feel worse being someone who will jump on and off the bandwagon when it suits them.

If you think being a real supporter is more about venting your thoughts from behind a keyboard on this forum rather than putting your bum on a seat at the games, you are dellusional.

Membership & attending games is what keeps our club going, keyboard cowboys don't.

SDM

First Grade
Those stats hurt, I still had us pencilled in for a charge to the top 4.

2010Dragons

Bench
Every one has hit the panic button. Name one player that parra has targeted that has left left the club they play for and chosen another club in the NRL! None, the only players that we have missed out on have elected to stay with the team they have been with!

Just heard on the radio (MMM) Joel Reddy wants to leave the club.