What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stats Show Eels Are Worst Team In NRL - Daily Telegraph 3rd May 2011

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm going to have to give you a rap for once Swifty. That's a very accurate summary. The worst thing is the opposition coaches in the competition know that too and don't even need a gameplan to beat us.

Last edited:

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
It's not a crisis that our stats are low, because we're in a re-building year.

The crisis is that in our re-building year, we can't sign anyone ! I challenge anyone to disagree with that fact.

The Dogs re-built last year and must have signed 7 good FG players. How are we going ?
Excellent point!

eels81236

Bench
For mine (i've really no idea) it would help if:

1. Why must we persist with a forward (namely Fui) having a simple hit up on tackle 4 whilst in the oppositions 20/30? I understand it's part of the new "structure" to set up for tackle 5, positioning the play the ball and avoiding important players being caught in a tackle and out of play etc, but, geez it's a mood killer.

2. When in the opposition 20 on tackle 5 run the ball every bloody time. Why kick it? It invariably goes dead, caught in goal etc and results in a 20 restart. Just run the thing. If you can't score then you still end up with a better result with a change over. No zero tackle. At much better than the 20m mark. Then apply defensive pressure for just one set of six, get good field position with your kick reception and start again.

Simple game really. Field position is King. It doesn't matter how you get it. Just get it.

bartman

Immortal
Everyone at the club seems convinced by SK's new "structure"... while I acknowledge any change to playing tactics will take time to sink in, he's had the off-season and getting close to a third of the regular season and nothing good to show for it. I'm not convinced it will pay dividends - we've had one game this year where we've been motivated and performed well for most of the game (Round 1 v Warriors).

Last year any match losses were DA's fault not the players' (but the wins the year before were all the players' doing, not the coach's). But this year the losses aren't the coach's fault for some reason, and the focus is now (finally) on the playing squad.

The common denominator has been the recruitment and retention, which some people in the club seek to place blame at the feet of DA (without Osborne apparently having any input), but recruitment and retention since SK took over in October last year has also been a shambles.... Strangely, this is not being blamed on SK at all, but it's unclear what role Osborne plays in attracting or signing players that SK apparently clears to come or stay at the club. If SK is not to blame already, then Osborne can't escape any responsibility as well?

As Gronk said, the crisis is that in a rebuilding year, we are failing to rebuild - and apparently failing to re-sign any existing players too (which risks a further reduction in depth to what is already happening under DA/SK/Osborne's watch). Can't someone in the club pull their finger out and manage this fiasco, the same way Canterbury did the year immediately after (not three years after) their Board coup?

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The crisis is that in our re-building year, we can't sign anyone ! I challenge anyone to disagree with that fact.

The Dogs re-built last year and must have signed 7 good FG players. How are we going ?

Did they sign them by the start of May?

Swiftstylez

Bench
Everyone at the club seems convinced by SK's new "structure"... while I acknowledge any change to playing tactics will take time to sink in, he's had the off-season and getting close to a third of the regular season and nothing good to show for it. I'm not convinced it will pay dividends - we've had one game this year where we've been motivated and performed well for most of the game (Round 1 v Warriors).

Last year any match losses were DA's fault not the players' (but the wins the year before were all the players' doing, not the coach's). But this year the losses aren't the coach's fault for some reason, and the focus is now (finally) on the playing squad.

The common denominator has been the recruitment and retention, which some people in the club seek to place blame at the feet of DA (without Osborne apparently having any input), but recruitment and retention since SK took over in October last year has also been a shambles.... Strangely, this is not being blamed on SK at all, but it's unclear what role Osborne plays in attracting or signing players that SK apparently clears to come or stay at the club. If SK is not to blame already, then Osborne can't escape any responsibility as well?

As Gronk said, the crisis is that in a rebuilding year, we are failing to rebuild - and apparently failing to re-sign any existing players too (which risks a further reduction in depth to what is already happening under DA/SK/Osborne's watch). Can't someone in the club pull their finger out and manage this fiasco, the same way Canterbury did the year immediately after (not three years after) their Board coup?

I still thought now and in ten years time when we still haven't won a premiership that we would still be blaming Hagan. I'm enjoying the transition of new scapegoats, myself.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I can. Every loss is the coach's fault regardless of the circumstances. I can't say it's his fault for the entire mess we are in but losing on the weekend was simply put Kearney's fault

f**k yeah. If Bennett was coaching us we would have won.

Swiftstylez

Bench
f**k yeah. If Bennett was coaching us we would have won.

I think we would have scored at least. That and, we could attract players to our club and we wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with. Firmly entrenched in the top eight as he would know what to do with what he is given. Perhaps not win a premiership but at least give the team their best chance.

That is what Kearney should have been expected to do. Shake the competition a little, but not necessarily topple it. Right now we aren't even casting ripples in the water.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I think you're just being childish and only seeing what you want to see.

Wins and losses are everybody's fault - players, coaches, everyone. That's the same this year, last year and every other year.

But now Anderson's gone. Get over it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That is what Kearney should have been expected to do. Shake the competition a little, but not necessarily topple it. Right now we aren't even casting ripples in the water.

We're clearly the worst attacking team and the worst defensive team in the comp.

Yet we've still won nearly half our games, including against a team in the top 4.

Ask any opposition fan who's got the worst roster. Kearney's working with nothing and getting results.

Trust me, at the end of the season the wooden spoon will go to the side with the least wins, not the one with the worst for-and-against.

Eels Dude

Coach
We're clearly the worst attacking team and the worst defensive team in the comp.

Yet we've still won nearly half our games, including against a team in the top 4.

Ask any opposition fan who's got the worst roster. Kearney's working with nothing and getting results.

Trust me, at the end of the season the wooden spoon will go to the side with the least wins, not the one with the worst for-and-against.

Are you sure? It didn't last year...

Latest posts