What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stefano Utoikamanu, Jake Simpkin & Shawn Blore

stryker

First Grade
I have stated earlier that none of our forwards are starters yet and are all benchies. By this I mean they all have some huge weakness that they are working on. Most of this focuses on fatigue and decision making under it. That extra effort you have to summon before the second wind kicks in must be hard at NRL level when the career is just beginning. I know I used to battle it when I played. They are coming along, a little slower than I thought for some, but there is some great signs amongst them.

Stefano has great attack but gets caught out in defence as he tires.
Blore hasn’t impressed me much to be honest but there is certainly a footy player in him.
Simpkin could be anything. He plays older than he is, looks more experienced, however he does struggle with the speed of the game when asked to play big minutes.
Tuilagi and Simpkins are raw but workable. Will enjoy watching them mature.
Agree that Seyfarth was coming along nicely and getting closer to the level.

It’s such a shame we didn’t go for Finucane properly.
His experience and preparation work could have pushed these boys forward in their development. We need a hard nosed experienced guy to help them. James Graham busy?

Talau is improving. He still makes some ridiculous errors but he is starting to look a bit lethal with ball in hand. Laurie, Doueihi..yeah there is some talent sprouting. I wouldn’t say light at the end of the tunnel yet but some green shoots are appearing. Still a couple of years of pain before the good times.

I was going to post it yesterday on the Mbye discussion, but we could do worse than offer Steff an upgrade now as a goodwill gesture. He’s still on beer money.

Probably saw a more subdued and composed Madge tonite despite the win, which I much prefer. Madge spoke about Steffs application to training ( ie its been pretty hard on him) and the origin camp influence and his rise.

I’m still thinking Doogie is origin material, he’s only 23, got another 2 or 3 years before his playing peak. That’s just frightening. It would be sad to see him overshadowed by Laurie et al.

Brooks made some headway with me tonight. I don’t have the trust back, but at least theres a pulse. Hastings will make him honest if he’s still around.

Speaking of which, the coffers should be close to overflowing…

Finally, the cat got himself into a bind tonight. Really stupid play based on frustration but his suspension will cost the eels dearly. I expected a better game from them.

Tigerm

Coach
Bit of a bump here. Thought these three guys were all excellent tonight. Stefano is already legitimately one of the best props in the game. Blore has had an injured interrupted season however now had 3 games starting and been very solid, has missed 1 tackle in 240 minutes. Simpkin came on and sped the game up tonight. I realize its much easier for a hooker coming on in the 60 minute mark however we looked better with him out there.

These guys joined by Kelma Tuilagi who did what he's been doing all year in nsw cup, solid defence and ran a great line for a try. We also have Tuki Simpkins who has been a bit sloppy in defence however has made had 8 offloads in 3 games of NRL. Then Seyfarth who really came into his own prior to his horror injury.

In the backs I thought Talau had his best game in first grade tonight (despite one bad miss) and of course theres Daine Laurie who was arguably our best player prior to his injury.

One thing that gets over looked is not one of these guys is above 22 years old. Jake and Tuki are still only 19.

Our Jersey Flegg side was undefeated after 13 rounds when the comp stopped. Adam Doueihi is still only 23.

Its been a real tough year for Tigers fans, and one that has to be deemed a failure. However do I dare say there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel?
Good post Vic.

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach
I was going to post it yesterday on the Mbye discussion, but we could do worse than offer Steff an upgrade now as a goodwill gesture. He’s still on beer money.

Probably saw a more subdued and composed Madge tonite despite the win, which I much prefer. Madge spoke about Steffs application to training ( ie its been pretty hard on him) and the origin camp influence and his rise.

I’m still thinking Doogie is origin material, he’s only 23, got another 2 or 3 years before his playing peak. That’s just frightening. It would be sad to see him overshadowed by Laurie et al.

Brooks made some headway with me tonight. I don’t have the trust back, but at least theres a pulse. Hastings will make him honest if he’s still around.

Speaking of which, the coffers should be close to overflowing…

Finally, the cat got himself into a bind tonight. Really stupid play based on frustration but his suspension will cost the eels dearly. I expected a better game from them.
I'll be corrected, but I thought he signed for $300k, didn't he?

JB04

Juniors
Great post Vic! Thought Simpkins, Bloore, Stefano and Tuilagi played great last night - a shining light to our season, if there is one. I see a fair bit of Koloamatangi from Souths in Tuilagi

Just a thought - with all of L. Leilua's defensive read issues, how would he go as a lock? so therefore having a backrow next year of:
11) Bloore
12) Tuilagi
13) Leilua

Vic Mackey

Referee
Great post Vic! Thought Simpkins, Bloore, Stefano and Tuilagi played great last night - a shining light to our season, if there is one. I see a fair bit of Koloamatangi from Souths in Tuilagi

Just a thought - with all of L. Leilua's defensive read issues, how would he go as a lock? so therefore having a backrow next year of:
11) Bloore
12) Tuilagi
13) Leilua

ive seen a few people mention Luc to 13 lately, I don’t hate it at all

Tiger05

First Grade
11) Bloore
12) Tuilagi
13) Leilua

I like it. The issue is will Blore and Tuilagi do the job on the edge. They look great but playing consistent footy through the season is a hard ask.

Our middle forwards would be great though.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I like it. The issue is will Blore and Tuilagi do the job on the edge. They look great but playing consistent footy through the season is a hard ask.

Our middle forwards would be great though.
I still wouldn't discount Douehi playing lock next year, big body with a bit of ball playing in him. I have my fingers crossed that Hastings works out and takes control of our team and Brooks goes to 5/8 and flourishes.
I watch Hastings play on the weekend and was happy with what I saw, Wigan as a team were bad but he tried his guts out and almost got them over the line after being down 16-0 early. Big positives were the fact that as things got tough he stepped up and took control of the team, and also the fact he seemed to have a good combo going with Gildart constantly setting him up with cutout passes that eventuated in Gildart producing a Gidley like flick to put the winger over.

stryker

First Grade
Doueihi is not a 5/8.
I like the idea of trying him as a ball playing lock with roving commission. However…he has a SHITLOAD of work to do to raise his defensive technique and effectiveness to the required standard.

Tiger05

First Grade
I still wouldn't discount Douehi playing lock next year, big body with a bit of ball playing in him. I have my fingers crossed that Hastings works out and takes control of our team and Brooks goes to 5/8 and flourishes.
I watch Hastings play on the weekend and was happy with what I saw, Wigan as a team were bad but he tried his guts out and almost got them over the line after being down 16-0 early. Big positives were the fact that as things got tough he stepped up and took control of the team, and also the fact he seemed to have a good combo going with Gildart constantly setting him up with cutout passes that eventuated in Gildart producing a Gidley like flick to put the winger over.

I saw that game. Doueihi at lock might work but it's the same to me as Hastings. Can they handle the defensive load and can they do that tough hit up. I think we go with a lock/prop type forward.

Doueihi has to make our team. He is a guy who can win you games. It's just where you play him.

I don't know if Brooks at 9 will work and I don't know if it's even worth trying.

Gildart looked like he could attack but his defensive game was poor.

Tigerm

Coach
I heard steff was on $240, but he’s playing closer to $400 I think and on current growth next year he will be closer $500.

I just want to reward and wrap him up.
You must drink expensive beer? 🤣

But do agree, he should and would think he will be upgraded money wise, along with a few others?

Latest posts