What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stefano Utoikamanu

Nutz

Bench
Negotiations put on hold till season's end but big stef has not produced for us. We nursed him through injury and persevered with him through poor form and now he's fit and showing glimpses of what got him into SOO contention he wants out...or more money.
My deal for him would be incentive based and if he can increase his effort and performance then he gets more money.
Managers are scum bags and have way too much power. We have to payup for potential rather that results...same same with Galvin.

Tigerm

First Grade

Stefano Utoikamanu has assured Wests Tigers fans he won’t exit the club before the end of the season – but admits he’s unsure if he will remain at Concord beyond that.

Sunday’s opponents Canberra are one of at least four clubs ready to make a play for the highly-rated front-rower.

The Tigers’ hopes of retaining Utoikamanu were dealt a blow at the start of the week when he was again overlooked by Blues coach Michael Maguire. Utoikamanu needed to play at least two Origin games this year to activate a clause in his contract that would keep him at the club.

The only way the Tigers can now trigger that clause and stop Utoikamanu becoming a free agent is by reaching the NRL finals.

While the Tigers remain a mathematical chance of playing September football, rival clubs cannot negotiate with the player. The Tigers have already tabled Utoikamanu a five-year deal worth around $4 million.

There were suggestions Utoikamanu would push for a release before the June 30 transfer deadline, which would allow him to move to a club in premiership contention and give the Tigers a better chance of signing a quality player in exchange.

But Utoikamanu torpedoed any talk of him cutting and running early.

“I want to be here for the rest of the year,” Utoikamanu said. “I love the Tigers, but it’s hard when we are struggling. I love these boys here. I just want to get as many wins as we can before the season ends.

“I think if you’re in the NRL, you want to win a premiership. It has been a bit hard being here. I came here for an opportunity, they gave me that, I’m grateful for that. But it’s been a tough couple of seasons. I just want to focus on winning.”

Sources with knowledge of Utoikamanu’s contract negotiations not authorised to speak publicly told this masthead the Raiders were ready to negotiate as soon as he became a free agent. Utoikamanu is seen as an ideal replacement for Josh Papalii, who finishes up at the end of 2025.

The Roosters, who lose Jared Waerea-Hargreaves at season’s end; Melbourne Storm, who were linked to Utoikamanu over the summer; and the Dolphins, about to farewell Jesse Bromwich, are also monitoring the situation.

Pressed on what he wanted to do in 2025, Utoikamanu said: “I don’t know. We’re in discussions now. Anything can happen, really.

“I’ve never really been to other clubs other than here and Parramatta. I came here for the opportunity, and I’m grateful the Wests Tigers gave me that. The main thing I want to focus on now is getting us more wins.

“I just brushed it off to [my manager] so he gets all the heat. It’s been a big talking point in the media. What I’ve got to focus on is trying to get this team back where we need to be.”

The Tigers notched their third win of the season against the Gold Coast Titans last Saturday, and welcome the return of five-eighth Lachie Galvin for Sunday’s clash with the Raiders at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

They came into the weekend seven points adrift of the top eight.

The Tigers have signed Jarome Luai and Sunia Turuva from Penrith for next season, but are in the process of trying to move several players on, including Jayden Sullivan and Brent Naden, who have made it clear they have no interest in leaving. Isaiah Papali’i is also heading for Penrith.

Tigerm

First Grade

Stefano Utoikamanu has assured Wests Tigers fans he won’t exit the club before the end of the season – but admits he’s unsure if he will remain at Concord beyond that.

Sunday’s opponents Canberra are one of at least four clubs ready to make a play for the highly-rated front-rower.

The Tigers’ hopes of retaining Utoikamanu were dealt a blow at the start of the week when he was again overlooked by Blues coach Michael Maguire. Utoikamanu needed to play at least two Origin games this year to activate a clause in his contract that would keep him at the club.

The only way the Tigers can now trigger that clause and stop Utoikamanu becoming a free agent is by reaching the NRL finals.

While the Tigers remain a mathematical chance of playing September football, rival clubs cannot negotiate with the player. The Tigers have already tabled Utoikamanu a five-year deal worth around $4 million.

There were suggestions Utoikamanu would push for a release before the June 30 transfer deadline, which would allow him to move to a club in premiership contention and give the Tigers a better chance of signing a quality player in exchange.

But Utoikamanu torpedoed any talk of him cutting and running early.

“I want to be here for the rest of the year,” Utoikamanu said. “I love the Tigers, but it’s hard when we are struggling. I love these boys here. I just want to get as many wins as we can before the season ends.

“I think if you’re in the NRL, you want to win a premiership. It has been a bit hard being here. I came here for an opportunity, they gave me that, I’m grateful for that. But it’s been a tough couple of seasons. I just want to focus on winning.”

Sources with knowledge of Utoikamanu’s contract negotiations not authorised to speak publicly told this masthead the Raiders were ready to negotiate as soon as he became a free agent. Utoikamanu is seen as an ideal replacement for Josh Papalii, who finishes up at the end of 2025.

The Roosters, who lose Jared Waerea-Hargreaves at season’s end; Melbourne Storm, who were linked to Utoikamanu over the summer; and the Dolphins, about to farewell Jesse Bromwich, are also monitoring the situation.

Pressed on what he wanted to do in 2025, Utoikamanu said: “I don’t know. We’re in discussions now. Anything can happen, really.

“I’ve never really been to other clubs other than here and Parramatta. I came here for the opportunity, and I’m grateful the Wests Tigers gave me that. The main thing I want to focus on now is getting us more wins.

“I just brushed it off to [my manager] so he gets all the heat. It’s been a big talking point in the media. What I’ve got to focus on is trying to get this team back where we need to be.”

The Tigers notched their third win of the season against the Gold Coast Titans last Saturday, and welcome the return of five-eighth Lachie Galvin for Sunday’s clash with the Raiders at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

They came into the weekend seven points adrift of the top eight.

The Tigers have signed Jarome Luai and Sunia Turuva from Penrith for next season, but are in the process of trying to move several players on, including Jayden Sullivan and Brent Naden, who have made it clear they have no interest in leaving. Isaiah Papali’i is also heading for Penrith.
I could understand if someone like Api, wanted to leave, he gives his all every game.
But, Stef does not imo, and he like many others are part of the problem.
If he wants success and money, then work hard and do it here, he is not getting picked in origin because of the club, he is not being picked, because he isn’t good enough.
Though he may well end up being there, atm, he is only being paid for potential.

Tiger05

First Grade
He sounds like he is gone and it doesn't sit well with me. The BS about not leaving early and staying for this year is just arrogant and entitled. He has had some great games for us but it would be less than a handful. He has been woefully inconsistent and overpaid for what he has delivered.

The problem for us is that we need some big explosive players in the team that can have an impact to go along with the skill we are starting to develop and will have in the likes of Api, Luai, Bula, Galvin etc. Stef has the ability to fill that role for us and help turn this club around.

The thing is though is it better if we just let him go. We shouldn't have to overpay the guy to stay.

WA Tiger

Bench
We had every opportunity to hit the 8 to make Stef stay (although his $$ maybe could be better spent elsewhere anyway? ) ..instead there’s 9 send offs from 9 different players ( or is it 7) That must be a record... and the usual coach being proactive when it’s too late.. I’d leave. Who wouldn’t with those offers.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
We need to ask Stef where he wants to be and how much, if that doesn't sit well with us we need to go shopping for a trade and or deal with another club. Get in early before the deadline otherwise we'll end up with noone.
Sure we'll have some cash but we may have to spend all of it to get someone who is inferior.
We could swap him for Hunt from Cronulla and get get so cash in return to shore up other talent.
I want Stef but I don't want to come up empty handed.
Roosters Tupouniua is another.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm not that stressed about him. He is a battering ram and could be a great player but I don't think he is as important to us as our spine players plus he is going to get paid big bucks. Maybe losing him would be fine for our salary cap.

Nutz

Bench
I'm not that stressed about him. He is a battering ram and could be a great player but I don't think he is as important to us as our spine players plus he is going to get paid big bucks. Maybe losing him would be fine for our salary cap.
Agree but if we are going to lose him why not strike up a mid year deal before the deadline. Get something out of it.

The sad thing with this guy is that it's so transparent what he's been up. He's played like crap to ensure he hasn't been picked for 2 origin games and now that's over he's playing up to, or possibly over his potential the last 2 weeks to show the teams high up the ladder what he can do and get a contract with one of them. Anyone know who his manager is? Moses or Tartak most likely.

The offer we have made is far more than generous and more than he deserves based on what he's produced here. It's clear from what he's said in the media that he doesn't want to be here next year, and is going to market. That's fine. Two can play that game.

I'd immediately start recruitment for his replacement, and make it known publicly. He might want to wait until the end of the year but we don't have to. If we can get someone that suits us great, we can wash our hands of him. If not the offer is on the table and you would imagine he'd continue to play well the rest of the year to impress other suitors. If he continues to play like the last 2 weeks I'd leave the offer as is. If not I'd start reducing it.

Tiger Ted

Bench
The sad thing with this guy is that it's so transparent what he's been up. He's played like crap to ensure he hasn't been picked for 2 origin games and now that's over he's playing up to, or possibly over his potential the last 2 weeks to show the teams high up the ladder what he can do and get a contract with one of them. Anyone know who his manager is? Moses or Tartak most likely.

The offer we have made is far more than generous and more than he deserves based on what he's produced here. It's clear from what he's said in the media that he doesn't want to be here next year, and is going to market. That's fine. Two can play that game.

I'd immediately start recruitment for his replacement, and make it known publicly. He might want to wait until the end of the year but we don't have to. If we can get someone that suits us great, we can wash our hands of him. If not the offer is on the table and you would imagine he'd continue to play well the rest of the year to impress other suitors. If he continues to play like the last 2 weeks I'd leave the offer as is. If not I'd start reducing it.
His manager is Daniel Oloughlin.I heard Richo say he knows him reasonably well & spoke well of him.

Das Hassler

Bench

From what’s been happening lately, I think this might be a bit of made up shit by journos, as Richo doesn’t release this stuff to them anymore.
But, I hope it’s true.
Sign the contract or get on your bike.

100% it is...read the fine print and you will see it's what they "feel sure" will happen

Fordy20

Juniors

Having a pack leader is very important. A JWH or a JFH to lead from the front and take the fight to opposition pack is worth a chunk of cap space. On the other hand, whether Stef can be or even wants to take on that role for us is very different question. Pole and Sione Fainu on the other hand look hungry.

Tiger05

First Grade
Having a pack leader is very important. A JWH or a JFH to lead from the front and take the fight to opposition pack is worth a chunk of cap space. On the other hand, whether Stef can be or even wants to take on that role for us is very different question. Pole and Sione Fainu on the other hand look hungry.

I agree that he could fill that role. He has the ability or maybe better put the potential to do that.

The thing is he has been extremely inconsistent throughout the season.

We have a bunch of young forwards who are doing a good job including Seyfarth, Pole and to a lesser extent Sione Fainu. Then we have Twal and Klemmer as well. Twal has his moments.

Stef offers something different in that he can be that prop who really gets us going forward or crashes over to score but the whole team matters and paying overs for an inconsistent prop when we have to balance the cap to retain some good young kids coming through to me means this signing isn't one I'm going to get worked up about.

Tiger Ted

Bench
If a club is stupid enough to offer Stef $900k+ a year then good luck to them, I think our offer of $800k is still overs
I so dislike a 5 yr contract for anyone especially someone who isn’t a gun in the spine.I don’t think he’s worth more than 500k @ 3 yrs.Hes a very lucky kid as mkt forces are a huge blessing for him when in the current climate numerous clubs r desperate for a middle forward at a time when they r scarcely available.Hence the price he attains will b hugely inflated.

Nutz

Bench
I so dislike a 5 yr contract for anyone especially someone who isn’t a gun in the spine.I don’t think he’s worth more than 500k @ 3 yrs.Hes a very lucky kid as mkt forces are a huge blessing for him when in the current climate numerous clubs r desperate for a middle forward at a time when they r scarcely available.Hence the price he attains will b hugely inflated.
There are several middle fwds out there on less coin and playing better.