What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stefano Utoikamanu

Tigerm

First Grade
Can’t find this anywhere else to back it up atm.
The Wests Tigers have given star prop forward Stefano Utoikamanu permission to test his value on the open market, but the club “remains hopeful” they can convince their enforcer to extend his stay at the joint venture.

Utoikamanu has an option to remain at the Tigers in 2025, but that’s based on clauses which include the club making the finals and him playing two State of Origin matches for the Blues in 2024 having made his NSW debut last year.

The second part of the equation is already out of the question after he missed out on selection for game two, while the Tigers are highly unlikely to finish in the top eight despite a couple of terrific wins in recent weeks.

The Tigers have reportedly offered the 24-year-old a five-year deal worth roughly $4 million, with Utoikamanu now set to test himself on the open market with a host of premiership contenders desperate to sign someone of his calibre given how valuable props have become.

“We’ve sat down with Stefano, his partner Chiara, and his management, and we all want what’s best for him and his family,” Wests Tigers chief executive Shane Richardson said.

Stefano has given us no indication that he wants to leave, but he does want to have a look around, and we are totally comfortable with that.”

The Tigers have made it clear how much they want Utoikamanu to stay, with teammates praising him throughout the season, while rookie coach Benji Marshall described him as one of the top three props in the game.

“We love Stef, and we’ve made it really clear with him that he’s a big part of our future,” Marshall said back in April.

“He’s definitely in the top two or three front-rowers in the game at the moment, and from the club’s point of view, we see him as a long-term prospect for us. We’ve expressed that to him.”

The Panthers could be one club that goes after him as they look to replace James Fisher-Harris, while the Storm have also been mentioned as a possible suitor.

Wednesday’s decision will give both the club and the player time to plan for 2025, with the Tigers set to have cash to splash if Utoikamanu decides to leave
——————————
It sort of sounds like an indication that he wants to leave?

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I don’t think steff has any idea if he wants to leave..He needs to find out what’s available fair enough..
A thought for him: The only thing worse than joining a club thats on a downward trajectory is leaving a club that’s on an upward trajectory..
after the raiders game you couldn’t discount that possibility

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

Dragons and Raiders set to table $4.5 million offers to Utoikamanu​

---------------------
A $100k a year better? Interesting how this plays out.
Just hope it doesn't linger on and on.

WA Tiger

Bench
Keary Walker Manu ..tough ask but if we go hard in defence like against the raiders then beat the roosters the conversation changes..

Galvin will love to test himself against the young wizard..

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade

---------------------
I am a little surprised a superpower has not come in with some sort of offer yet. These two clubs are in similar spots to where we are and offering around the same money. Im as little bit more optimistic of keeping him now than if a Penrith/Souths came into the picture.

Nutz

Bench
Middles are becoming like the spine as far as salaries go. Rough estimates are...
James Fisher-Harris $950k
David Fifita $1m
Addin Fonua-Blake $1mil
Payne Haas $1.2mil
Tino Fa’asuamaleaui $1.2mil.
But look at Pat Carrigan $800k
and Angus Crichton who is on around 700k. They offer better value as they can play more mins and have more to their game...offloads, pace, ball handling etc.
There are others too that are not being paid what Stef is asking and are top players.
We really need to pay players on performance and not potential because we are not a club that can attract quality players. We don't have enough quality players to prop the team up waiting for these "potential" players to produce.
I'd be holding firm on our offer to Stefano and plan B would be to go all out for a player who is producing.

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
I am a little surprised a superpower has not come in with some sort of offer yet. These two clubs are in similar spots to where we are and offering around the same money. Im as little bit more optimistic of keeping him now than if a Penrith/Souths came into the picture.
Super powers like the rorters operate by stealth.U also have the dogs who under the stewardship of the smoke & mirrors ogre Gould will deny they r after a player who they r desperately wanting to sign & whose manager they have been liasing with for months.I reckon Stephanie will end up at Bondi.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

---------------------
I would be really disturbed if the Tigers offered him $900k per year. I'm sure we could get better value somewhere else.
Having said that if he leaves us for either of these teams he will be sorry.

He’s got that chronically injured brother.

Ricky has spent a lot of time helping people with serious mental and physical issues and might be able to win him over on that basis.

Flanno has been outstanding with SGI this year and builds a good team rapport.

It’s really a matter of whether Stef wants to help us climb. I think the wins help.

1E95D53E-4B1E-4B65-B642-748120D98432.jpeg

If he goes, It might set us back a bit, but some of these young forwards we have recently unleashed…have been above and beyond. If they keep improving at their current rate, wow…

Tigerm

First Grade
I would be really disturbed if the Tigers offered him $900k per year. I'm sure we could get better value somewhere else.
Having said that if he leaves us for either of these teams he will be sorry.
Agree, you don’t pay nearly a $m to get a decent performance occasionally, we are paying overs imo, but at least know what we are getting and have a plan for our future.

Last edited: