What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stefano Utoikamanu

Murraymob1

Juniors
Th

The Storm have reportedly emerged as a dark horse to sign wantaway Wests Tigers star Stefano Utoikamanu.
---------------------
The big boys have arrived.
Maybe a swap deal (Nelson-Stef) on the cards?
That would be a great deal for you tigers .You have a very young squad that needs leaders while they learn first grade .Nelson could teach the young forwards the ropes

Tigerm

First Grade
Th

That would be a great deal for you tigers .You have a very young squad that needs leaders while they learn first grade .Nelson could teach the young forwards the ropes
Agree, I certainly understand that players should look at options, there time is limited in the game.
But imo, Stef has shown he isn't really interested in hanging around, so I'd rather he goes, and we get someone (as you say) who can lead the pack, it's something we haven't had here for a long time.
And our young blokes look promising for the future.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think we should let him go as well. He does have the ability to be a top tier prop and we could really use him but when players act like this I think it screws us over longer term.

You also have to think of the team. Putting a team that can win the comp on the field requires a bit of luck with the cap and players like Stef who are after every last dollar can actually make it harder to compete.

The issue is who do we replace him with. I don't like Nelson as an option. I only like Nelson as a cheap option. He is inconsistent.

Just as a side point surely we only sign Sezer to a cup contract for next year. We don't need more halves. We need forwards if Stef goes. I think we may be okay for outside backs.. This is a change.

Yeah I'm not sold on Nelson either. Apparently has a rugby background (of course, being a Kiwi) and has a lot of interest from overseas rugby clubs. Not sure if that meant Kiwi clubs or northern hemisphere clubs, or Japan. If it's the latter two, we won't be able to compete financially.

On top of that Nelson's career appears to be on the downwards trajectory. Bellamy is the king of getting consistent good footy out of players, which isn't happening with Nelson at the moment.

Also makes you wonder how Melbourne could afford Stef? All 4 of their spine players would be on, or close to $1 mil a season. That's a 3rd of your cap taken up by 4 players. Stef wants close to that so that would be about 40% of your cap for 5 players. What an amazing account they must have? It's not like they don't have any form on the board when it comes to systemically rorting the cap.

If we don't have some sort of under handed, covert plan to start rorting the cap we're kidding ourselves. If you're not cheating you're not trying!

Tigerm

First Grade
Yeah I'm not sold on Nelson either. Apparently has a rugby background (of course, being a Kiwi) and has a lot of interest from overseas rugby clubs. Not sure if that meant Kiwi clubs or northern hemisphere clubs, or Japan. If it's the latter two, we won't be able to compete financially.

On top of that Nelson's career appears to be on the downwards trajectory. Bellamy is the king of getting consistent good footy out of players, which isn't happening with Nelson at the moment.

Also makes you wonder how Melbourne could afford Stef? All 4 of their spine players would be on, or close to $1 mil a season. That's a 3rd of your cap taken up by 4 players. Stef wants close to that so that would be about 40% of your cap for 5 players. What an amazing account they must have? It's not like they don't have any form on the board when it comes to systemically rorting the cap.

If we don't have some sort of under handed, covert plan to start rorting the cap we're kidding ourselves. If you're not cheating you're not trying!
I don’t follow him, but looking at his stats yesterday, indicates he isn’t on the downward spiral, he was:
Equal 1st in runs
4th in RM
2nd in PCM
And made 14 tackles
He is 28 yo

IF,
Stef goes, he does need to be replaced.
Plus, he’s another one who knows what winning looks like.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
After Stef's 1st half he'll be lucky to get $500k after that performance. Just too inconsistent against the big boys.

TroyJax

Juniors
Gal must of seen no other club is gonna offer him what he thinks he is worth
I hate the way Galvin talks.
He is very clearly staying here because Richo threatened him and his family if they attempt to break contract.
He also gives zero indication he will stay here past his current contract, saying shit like weve got two years to work this out and turn the club around. Then what? Well...off to the Roosters obviously.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
After Stef's 1st half he'll be lucky to get $500k after that performance. Just too inconsistent against the big boys.
After that team performance it would be clear to Stef it's time to go.

After his performance it would be clear to other clubs he is definitely not worth $900k. It probably is already is clear to top teams he is not worth taking up salary cap space.