What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stefano Utoikamanu

Tiger05

First Grade
Stefa been garbage the last month and a half, I’d 100% be pulling our deal, $800k is wayovers. Pole has been miles better and isn’t carrying on like a little bitch

It's a bizarre situation. He gets offered a contract on massive overs and he wants to see if he can get more. I honestly think this is a Nofo like contract situation where players who are currently with us want more and it only screws us over.

I'd focus on signing up other forwards that we have on contract (Pole, Fainu's & Seyfarth) and looking for middle forwards who offer better value for money. If Stef wants to play for us without the drama and on a fair contract great if not then he should go elsewhere.

Nutz

Bench
Big edge player who play big minutes offer better value...like Pole.
The days of carrying a big bopper are changing, unless your a freak like Haaa

Tigerm

First Grade
Storm 'intent' on Stefano signing

The Tigers prop could be heading to the NRL heavyweights and Phil Gould has 'mail' a big gun could be out of Melbourne.

Wizardman

First Grade
Storm 'intent' on Stefano signing

The Tigers prop could be heading to the NRL heavyweights and Phil Gould has 'mail' a big gun could be out of Melbourne.

I think we can all read between the lines and say that it is big Nelson on the way out. A massive no to us taking him.

The prop market is thin.....lets us rather get a young guy rather than a bloke clearly on the way down with a few injuries in his CV.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think we can all read between the lines and say that it is big Nelson on the way out. A massive no to us taking him.

The prop market is thin.....lets us rather get a young guy rather than a bloke clearly on the way down with a few injuries in his CV.
Understand your view, not sure what $’s Nelson is on, but I disagree that he wouldn’t be a positive for us.
He at least knows what winning looks like and obviously comes from a club that has that ethos engrained in the playing group.
Imo, he would be ideal for our young forwards to learn from.
He is only 28, according to his profile, so he should be in his prime.

Klem was supposed to be that guy, but imo, has failed miserably. We need at least one big bopper with experience.

IF, he came (not saying he is) that would give us quite a few players who do know how to win, in our roster.
Nelson?
Api
Olam
Luai
Tito

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
I know stats aren’t the be all and end all, but Josh Aloia has better run metres, more carries, less errors. Stefano does a bit more tackling than Aloia though. Interesting. While I think Stefano is a better footy player, there’s not enough in it to justify $4-500k potential difference in their next contracts.

Solomona’s stats are way down not worth considering at this point

Tigerm

First Grade
Height:200 cm
Date of Birth:29 February 1996
Weight:115 kg
Birthplace:Wellington, NZ
Nickname:Big Nasty
Debut Club:Melbourne Storm
Date:25 April 2015
Opposition:Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Round:8
Previous Club:-
Junior Club:Wellington College, Upper Hutt Tigers
Biography:
Inking a new four-year contract extension in 2023, NAS will once again be eager to lead from the front for Storm’s forward pack this season.
In his 20 appearances for Storm in 2023, he topped Storm’s count for tackle breaks, managing 94 and also running for 2,154 metres.
Now in his 10th season in Storm colours, Nelson Asofa-Solomona also boasts an impressive International resume, helping NZ clinch the Pacific Test Championship at the end of last season.
One of the most destructive runners of the ball in the game, the big prop also has a softer side, caring for two daschunds at home.
Nelson is sponsored by Ace Waste, Poolwise Smarter Pools and Euphoria Infusions.

Career/​

APPEARANCES195
TRIES30

2024 Season/​

APPEARANCES11

SCORING​

TRIES0

ATTACK​

TACKLE BREAKS25
AVERAGE HIT UPS9
POST CONTACT METRES418.4

PASSING​

OFFLOADS8

DEFENCE​

TACKLES MADE143
TACKLE EFFICIENCY
Tackle Efficiency89.9%

RUNNING METRES​

AVERAGE RUNNING METRES87
TOTAL RUNNING METRES 967

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Understand your view, not sure what $’s Nelson is on, but I disagree that he wouldn’t be a positive for us.
He at least knows what winning looks like and obviously comes from a club that has that ethos engrained in the playing group.
Imo, he would be ideal for our young forwards to learn from.
He is only 28, according to his profile, so he should be in his prime.

Klem was supposed to be that guy, but imo, has failed miserably. We need at least one big bopper with experience.

IF, he came (not saying he is) that would give us quite a few players who do know how to win, in our roster.
Nelson?
Api
Olam
Luai
Tito

Absolute hard pass on Nelson. There's a reason Storm want to let him go, as his best is well behind him. Would be a signing in the same vein as BJ Leilua.

Nutz

Bench
Height:200 cm
Date of Birth:29 February 1996
Weight:115 kg
Birthplace:Wellington, NZ
Nickname:Big Nasty
Debut Club:Melbourne Storm
Date:25 April 2015
Opposition:Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Round:8
Previous Club:-
Junior Club:Wellington College, Upper Hutt Tigers
Biography:
Inking a new four-year contract extension in 2023, NAS will once again be eager to lead from the front for Storm’s forward pack this season.
In his 20 appearances for Storm in 2023, he topped Storm’s count for tackle breaks, managing 94 and also running for 2,154 metres.
Now in his 10th season in Storm colours, Nelson Asofa-Solomona also boasts an impressive International resume, helping NZ clinch the Pacific Test Championship at the end of last season.
One of the most destructive runners of the ball in the game, the big prop also has a softer side, caring for two daschunds at home.
Nelson is sponsored by Ace Waste, Poolwise Smarter Pools and Euphoria Infusions.

Career/​

APPEARANCES195
TRIES30

2024 Season/​

APPEARANCES11

SCORING​

TRIES0

ATTACK​

TACKLE BREAKS25
AVERAGE HIT UPS9
POST CONTACT METRES418.4

PASSING​

OFFLOADS8

DEFENCE​

TACKLES MADE143
TACKLE EFFICIENCY
Tackle Efficiency89.9%

RUNNING METRES​

AVERAGE RUNNING METRES87
TOTAL RUNNING METRES 967

I said earlier that I'm sick of players coming to the Tigers for a super top up like Leilua, Braithe Analaster, Grub...help me out there's been a few but too early to think.
However if this bloke were come here before the season's end on a deal that suits us eg the Ute swap then I wouldn't cut my wrists. I would cut my wrists if we paid made a bigger play for the Ute and stuffed up our cap for another 4 years as we have other players that we definitely need to retain and will need cash.
If Nelson was 100% fit and had a huge off season then at his age he should be OK for another stint.
One thing you didn't mention is how much is Nelson on?

Tigerm

First Grade
I said earlier that I'm sick of players coming to the Tigers for a super top up like Leilua, Braithe Analaster, Grub...help me out there's been a few but too early to think.
However if this bloke were come here before the season's end on a deal that suits us eg the Ute swap then I wouldn't cut my wrists. I would cut my wrists if we paid made a bigger play for the Ute and stuffed up our cap for another 4 years as we have other players that we definitely need to retain and will need cash.
If Nelson was 100% fit and had a huge off season then at his age he should be OK for another stint.
One thing you didn't mention is how much is Nelson on?
No idea how much he’s on.
Stef’s looking at a $1m payday though.

Tigerm

First Grade
Absolute hard pass on Nelson. There's a reason Storm want to let him go, as his best is well behind him. Would be a signing in the same vein as BJ Leilua.
Well, it’s one of our weak spots, Klem is not doing it, Stef does it occasionally, if he goes, we’ve got to sign someone, obviously they would do a due diligence check on who ever they signed.
But what we have currently are not doing it. I think the young guy’s are going great, but they need a mentor.
Just a side note, JWH is 35, Nelson is 28.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Seriously? What a joke he is becoming. The guy hasn't developed yet.
David Fafita, Payne Haas and Tino are 1mil players.
Does he really think he's worth that?
He's done fa and needs to repay us for shelving out big money already for his services with no return so far.

The more this goes on the more I'm loathing this.

Nutz

Bench
Well, it’s one of our weak spots, Klem is not doing it, Stef does it occasionally, if he goes, we’ve got to sign someone, obviously they would do a due diligence check on who ever they signed.
But what we have currently are not doing it. I think the young’s are going great, but they need a mentor.
Just a side note, JWH is 35, Nelson is 28.
He lasted only minutes against us and tore a hammy I think...unsure but his legs look like Miller's and if he came to us he needs to be fitter than ever as carrying big weight when you get older is a recipe for knee injuries etc.

DJDL

Bench
Methinks Stefano is in for a rude shock if he's holding out for more money.

By all reports it's down to you guys, the Eels and the Storm.
The Eels don't have the coin.
The Storm don't pay overs.
And Richo won't be dragged into a bidding war.

In fact, Richo has openly stated words to the effect of "That's our offer. You can take it, or you can look elsewhere. Look elsewhere and we'll start looking for a replacement. If we find one, your offer's pulled".

D Saifiti just hit the market.
While I think he is also past his best, he could be a handy pickup for you guys and enough for Richo to let Stef know he can tell his story walkin'.

Nutz

Bench
Methinks Stefano is in for a rude shock if he's holding out for more money.

By all reports it's down to you guys, the Eels and the Storm.
The Eels don't have the coin.
The Storm don't pay overs.
And Richo won't be dragged into a bidding war.

In fact, Richo has openly stated words to the effect of "That's our offer. You can take it, or you can look elsewhere. Look elsewhere and we'll start looking for a replacement. If we find one, your offer's pulled".

D Saifiti just hit the market.
While I think he is also past his best, he could be a handy pickup for you guys and enough for Richo to let Stef know he can tell his story walkin'.
Spot on. If anything Stef might go to Perth with Brad Arthur as there is a connection there.
Perth will prob get Nelson and Stef 🤣

Tigerm

First Grade
He lasted only minutes against us and tore a hammy I think...unsure but his legs look like Miller's and if he came to us he needs to be fitter than ever as carrying big weight when you get older is a recipe for knee injuries etc.
His profile indicates he was just resigned last season, so not sure if it is him who is being shopped, though probably is and who knows why. I see a swap deal on the cards with us and the Storm, we’ve done it before?
We took Olam with a bung leg.
Maybe we’d need to get Nelson to slow down his runs, to save his hammies hahaha

Wizardman

First Grade
There are clearly a few issues with Nelson atm....if the price is right, I'd rather Dan Saifiti. He has always seemed like a bloke who could well be too comfy at Newcastle. He doesn't seem to have a severe injury history, late 20s. He is very much a "price is right" type signing though.

Tiger05

First Grade
This spud is the most over hyped player in the comp since brooks, and anasta before him

I reckon Seyfarth, Pole and Sione Fainu have outperformed Stef this season. They'd all be on a pittance. Stef wants elite prop level dollars.

He does do some real good hit-ups every game along with a dropped ball or two and his lateral movement defensively needs a tonne of work. He is a work in progress.

Last edited: