What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steinlager

Cupid Stunt

I was given a case of Steinlager recently & yesterday cracked it open & hooked in. I didn't mind it, I'm normally a Grolsch/Becks/Stella drinker so it wasn't to far from my tastes. But a conversation started about whether or not Kiwi's drink it or is it just a NZ version of Fosters where they sell it on to those around the world. If it sells well, is it considered a premium beer or a McDonalds type of drink a-la VB? No real reason for asking, just for the sake of learning something new.

And yes before it's mentioned I know SOME Aussie's drink Fosters but for the most part we don't. :D

God-King Dean

Immortal
I was given a case of Steinlager recently & yesterday cracked it open & hooked in.....

Are you f**king serious?

Creepy..... so did I. :lol:

The first one I had I didn't enjoy, but I slowly aquired a taste for it.

Peroni & Becks are my favourite of the crisp beers.

Not a fan of Steinies....Have drunk my fair share but it gives me a killer hangover.

Mac's Ale is the best fron NZ and I used to enjoy Waikato Draught as well.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I wouldn't say it's all that popular, I don't know anyone who drinks it. tbh I think your average Joe Bloggs drinks the cheap local 4% ales like Speights, Waikato Draight, Lion Red, DB Draught etc, then you've got local beers like Monteiths and Macs, and then you've got the international lager staples like Becks, Heineken and Stella. Steinlager is in the latter category but I honestly don't know anyone who drinks it instead of those mentioned.

Having said that, it's certainly not perceived as a cheap beer, it's in a similar price bracket to Heineken or Becks, maybe a dollar or two cheaper. And they recently released a new version called "Steinlager Pure" which I have had a few times and am quite partial to actually.

Another related question- I regularly drink Becks or Heineken, and last night I bought a dozen Stellas home for the boys (they were on special at the supermarket) and they ridiculed me and claimed it was common knowledge that Stella was awful and I may as well have bought 20 Double Browns for $20 as they wouldn't taste any worse. Anyone else agree that Stella is awful and of a lower calibre than Heineken or Becks?

Hindyscrack

Bench
Stella has a poor reputation here in the UK and in Europe, commonly known as the 'wife beaters' beer of choice.

I'm not a fan of it either, coming from Belgium the home of a million great beers it really is the pits. Gives me a killer hang over too.

Nastro Azzurro (Peroni Blue Ribbon) is my current favourite lager, went down a treat while on the continent this year.

Bought a slab of Stella last year and it tasted like crap...never again.

Peroni and Becks are good and Heiniken is run of the mill.

Lambretta

First Grade
I dont mind Steinlager. It's a "premium" style beer, but it has a milder tast than say Becks or Peroni.

I'd say it was a mid ground beer somewhere between VB (throw down pish) and more expensive Euro beers.

However this effects it's popularity as it's too posh for bogans and not good enough for true "Premium" beer drinkers.

I might just buy a case for the start of the footy season. A habit that's usually reserved for Australias version of Steinlager.... Boags Draught.

I dont mind Steinlager. It's a "premium" style beer, but it has a milder tast than say Becks or Peroni.

I'd say it was a mid ground beer somewhere between VB (throw down pish) and more expensive Euro beers.

However this effects it's popularity as it's too posh for bogans and not good enough for true "Premium" beer drinkers.

I might just buy a case for the start of the footy season. A habit that's usually reserved for Australias version of Steinlager.... Boags Draught.

Boags draught ??...much heavier in taste than Steinies IMO.

Lambretta

First Grade
Boags draught ??...much heavier in taste than Steinies IMO.

Boags Draught, as opposed to Boags Premium, is another one of those beers that is caught in a bit of a no mans land.

It's not a bogan brew, but nor is it a premium style beer.

Sure it's what Australians laughably call a "bitter" rather than a "pilsner" so it differs in taste to Steinlager, but it's still a lager beer.

Actually, thinking on this matter a bit more - Steinlager is probably more like Crown Lager. Both brewers sell their beers on their "Premium" strengths, but no one else actually believes that anymore. Whilst both Crown and Steinlager are excellent beers, they appear to be very much products of the 90's and drinkers tastes have changed.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Stella taste like crap, Steinlager has always been average to my taste buds. Stella has somehow got traction in NZ due to marketing, it really is horrible though (especially the smell/aftertaste). Ive got one mate who really digs it, i'll never know why though.

Steiny Pure however is a decent drop. Overall my beer of choice would probably be Heineken though, if i'm not going the low-carb route. Peroni gets a tick.

Steinlager seems more popular amongst men of my Dad's vintage (around 50) and more of a 80's/90s beer. Do love the Crown though, though dislike the bottle shape.

Lambretta

First Grade
I am going to buy that damn case of Steinlager now. I've decided.

Will grab one of those and a Crown and pull my dacks up to my armpits

Get the whole old man thing happening

ozbash

Referee
what you are sayining is probably right, back in the good ol, bad ol days, Steinies were the best thing on the shelf.

Out of a lot of drinkers price range. Sort of an elite brew.

Latest posts