What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterlings's view on Parra

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Penrith played with depth and looked dangerous and exciting. We played flat, direct and boring. It's a particularly crap way to lose when you have the backline talent we do. I'd rather lose playing the kind of game that our team wants to play (see the last four minutes of this game) than win once in a blue moon trying to play like Melbourne.

There was nothing in that game that Penrith fans would not have liked - young players were effective and exciting, they're big signing is a TITAN, they showed heart, and they won easily even against a dodgy penalty count.

Fathead

Bench
The only reason Hagan got the job at Parra was because he wasn't Brian Smith

Just like the only reason Kevin Rudd is PM is because he isn't John Howard.

and the Eels and Australia are both worse off for the changes

Absolutely !!

Bigfella

Coach
In a top class NRL pack these days Cayless would be a bench player.

And he has been paid as much or more than Steve Price, Petero, Shane Webcke and Roy Asostasi for his career.

That's why people are frustrated, and that's why we can't buy the players to complement him in the pack.

Fathead

Bench
Also towards the end of the game when there was like 4 mins left .. parra STARTED to actually throw the football around. They PASSED the ball and looked a million dollars. If they played that way all game we would have put a cricket score on any team. Sterlo said something like we should blindfold the team and tell them that there is 4 mins to go and they are behind on the scoreboard when they first run out!

In my opinion- Mateo (who IS our best forward) needs to play lock and KK at 5/8.
At least the backs will not be starved.
I was watching Hayne yesterday and you can bet he was thinking... Why cant I play for a team that actually passes the ball to me ??

Hagan can trot the same excuses out all the time and he will but my info is that the that the playes love him -you can bet that the main reason is that players , like others in society generally, like a leader who is nice to them.
At the end of the day however, all the players will get is a nice warm feeling that the coach cares for them whilst they watch the finals series on TV.
Warren Ryan used to say - " If they players are looking for a friend in me as coach, they are better off playing for someone else"
Players have to be in position thereby they 'fear' what the coaching staff will say to them when they analyse the video of the performances and stats. Instead they know that, in this team at least, any effort will be rewarded.

Teams in the NRL have equal playing rosters regarding playing ability esp the eels who have some of the best players in the world. The ONLY difference between the Storm and the Eels is one word - RESPONSIBILITY.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
In a top class NRL pack these days Cayless would be a bench player.

And he has been paid as much or more than Steve Price, Petero, Shane Webcke and Roy Asostasi for his career.

That's why people are frustrated, and that's why we can't buy the players to complement him in the pack.

exactly, but hey he has good stats:roll:

Fathead

Bench
I just hear that Hagan on ABC Radio declared that in his opinion that the eels are NOT in a form slump. FMD there is positivity and there is also down right blindness.

Sterlo is spot on, but we know he will never help the club out while ever Fitzy is in charge.
Shame that, sterlo could do so much for our club.

Gronk

Staff member
Sterlo is spot on, but we know he will never help the club out while ever Fitzy is in charge.
Shame that, sterlo could do so much for our club.

Yes Sterlo was right, but it's pretty easy to see that we are soft and that we don't have a player like Frank Prichard.

The hard bit is actually making the right call on signings and re-signings. Next year looks a worry with Wags, Robbo & the Pig missing with no real alternatives other than the muppets from reggies. :(

spiderdan

Bench
[vent]

with the talent in the side we have we are definitely under-achieving. the penrith game was the same as almost every game this year. a few individuals played well, a few patches where we looked impressive but for the most part a side that doesn't seem to give a crap (this was highlighted to me in a passage of play where finch got the ball and without summing up his options threw a 1 foot pass to mateo as if to say "here. do something.")

i am not sure if the team's attitude is derived because as others have pointed out, hagan almost certainly wont axe players. it seems like they are playing with no consequences or accountability.

i find it embarrassing that our top running player is our 5/8. not because of who he is but because of where he plays. no pivot should be comfortably making more ground than any forward.

our backs get starved of quality fotball because our forwards, as a group, are not making enough ground and getting enough quick plays to set things up. it seems like most of them are happy to just barge the ball directly into defenders instead of running at spaces or setting up second phase play to wear out our oposition more.

the comment about our forwards all being the same i think is pretty close to the money. i know people think wagon has earned respect because of his service over the years but really his form (especcially attack) has been below par for years. i don't know how he is still in firsts, a comment made to me by friends that suport other teams. i also think our bench should be carrying at least two props each game (i don't mean make shift props either).

on a positive note after yesterday - i think people are a bit harsh on cayless, he has been making ground and working his ar$e off on the field, fui is playing well, joel reddy has been a surprise, inu has played pretty well since returning, matt keating has offered more from dummy half than piggy and mateo is a deadset freak.

[/vent]

Avenger

Immortal
In the early 90's Chris King used to also play well. FFS gentleman we were tipped to play in the GF this year !!!

F*ck your positives. (with respect)

toolong

Juniors
your all a bunch frigging whiners. The Eels will come good and make the top 4. You read it here first

emjaycee

Coach
In the early 90's Chris King used to also play well. FFS gentleman we were tipped to play in the GF this year !!!

F*ck your positives. (with respect)

With all due respect Avenger, I dont understand how we were tipped to play in the GF this year before the year kicked off. IMHO, that tip was wrong by a long shot. We had just lost 2 players who in my opinion where 2 of our best last year (Ian Hindmarsh and Tahu) and we had bought no-one of their calibre to replace them. That tip was based on us taking Melbourne to the wire in the Preliminary Final, but one close game doesnt a season make.

Overall last year our form was scratchy, inconsistent and we failed to put teams to the sword like a top 2 contender does week in week out example Manly and Melbourne.

I think we are currently performing week in and week out to the best of our ability - we have 2 current representative players in our squad, a couple of rep forwards from years gone by and a player that should make SoO in the next couple of years - that is it. The rest of our squad are average first grade players. A team of average first grade players does not make/win the GF. The year is simply to long for that.

Y2Eel

First Grade
I think we are currently performing week in and week out to the best of our ability - we have 2 current representative players in our squad, a couple of rep forwards from years gone by and a player that should make SoO in the next couple of years - that is it. The rest of our squad are average first grade players. A team of average first grade players does not make/win the GF. The year is simply to long for that.

If thats the best of the teams ability the team may aswell not turn up next year or the rest of this year...

Lets Look at Manly they havent got the worlds most talented team and look where they are have a look at St George they have just won 7 in a row so saying that our team cant win the comp as they are avg is just wrong...

Mr Slippery Eel

Juniors
[vent]

with the talent in the side we have we are definitely under-achieving. the penrith game was the same as almost every game this year. a few individuals played well, a few patches where we looked impressive but for the most part a side that doesn't seem to give a crap (this was highlighted to me in a passage of play where finch got the ball and without summing up his options threw a 1 foot pass to mateo as if to say "here. do something.")

i am not sure if the team's attitude is derived because as others have pointed out, hagan almost certainly wont axe players. it seems like they are playing with no consequences or accountability.

i find it embarrassing that our top running player is our 5/8. not because of who he is but because of where he plays. no pivot should be comfortably making more ground than any forward.

our backs get starved of quality fotball because our forwards, as a group, are not making enough ground and getting enough quick plays to set things up. it seems like most of them are happy to just barge the ball directly into defenders instead of running at spaces or setting up second phase play to wear out our oposition more.

the comment about our forwards all being the same i think is pretty close to the money. i know people think wagon has earned respect because of his service over the years but really his form (especcially attack) has been below par for years. i don't know how he is still in firsts, a comment made to me by friends that suport other teams. i also think our bench should be carrying at least two props each game (i don't mean make shift props either).

on a positive note after yesterday - i think people are a bit harsh on cayless, he has been making ground and working his ar$e off on the field, fui is playing well, joel reddy has been a surprise, inu has played pretty well since returning, matt keating has offered more from dummy half than piggy and mateo is a deadset freak.

[/vent]

I agree!!!!!:cool:

eels81236

Bench
That and we wont win a comp with Finch at half and Hagen as coach...

I find it difficult to take anything seriously when you cannot even spell the surname of your number one enemy in life correctly.

Its Hagan.....HAGAN.....SAY IT FRENCHIE!! :lol:

Latest posts