What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Blocker Roach

Ryan

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Yet somehow with all those players that didnt improve from 05 to 06...the team itself did?

You say Kite didnt improve, but we have another manly fan saying he did.

One of you is fullavit, and its not the other dude.

I'm not saying Kite hasn't improved. I'm saying he is just back to his best. Something he already had in him with or without Steve Roach.

And yes, the TEAM improved, but that's because of Matt Orford, Steve Bell, Steve Matai improving exponentially, Brett Stewart turning into a diamond, Michael Robertson playing well, and of coarse the young terrier, Travis Burns adding another dimension to the team.

Beaver had a quiet year (for his standard anyway, and why he probably quit rep footy).
Watmough had a quiet year.
Kennedy was inspirational.
King was warm and cold.
Rose, Cuthbertson, Styles, Tutt, Bryant(all played 1st grade) were fair without being brilliant. I personally think they CAN be brilliant, but need someone, with a passion for the club that employs them to steer them in that direction. Steve Roach didn't and doesn't have those skills in my opinion. Remember, no-one else wanted him, so we GAVE him a chance.

But good luck to The Tigers - if they can see the value.

I as a Manly fan wuld like a forwards coach not to dis similar to The Melbourne Storms. Someone who can turn rocks into diamonds. At least now we have that chance.

simon says

First Grade
Gee,why would the Tigers want an inernational rep,that played 185 games for them back to help out.

Im sure Blocker knows a little about playing footy.....if he can pass a fraction of that on it will be a good move imo.

Balmain_Boy

This is such rubbish.

You are just apportioning all improvement to others players and all stagnation or regression to Blocker. Where is the evidence? What a grubby little turd you are.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Ryan said:
Yes. Admittedly correct. ButI put that more down to Matt Orford and Travis Burns pointing them, running them and sending them in the right direction.

This sums up your limited knowledge of how forwards operate in attack and defence. I was surprised you didn't attribute their improvment to Williamson or Dunley at least your comments would have more substance to them .......

innsaneink

Referee
Ryan said:
Are you all pleased the big unit has signed on for you guys. Additionally, what does that mean for Royce Simmons role?

Roach is set to join the coaching staff at the Wests Tigers = the big unit has signed on for you guys.???

Recent official signing announcements have been Peter Gentle from head PL coach to asst role in firsts, Arthur Katinas from Souths to BRET PL, Jason Moodie WTs first grade, no mention of Blocker anywhere.

You need to learn to read.

Ryan

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
This is such rubbish.

You are just apportioning all improvement to others players and all stagnation or regression to Blocker. Where is the evidence? What a grubby little turd you are.

On that very well thought out response, I'll see you later, and wish you well in 2007...

Balmain_Boy

Well it's just rubbish. You've got no evidence - Roach is not the only constant over the last few years. For all you know Hasler is equally to blame.

I really don't care, I just find your evidence to be dubious at best - Kite and Kennedy were both at the club in 2005, the team improves in 2006 and you say it's because of signings. How does that work?

innsaneink

Referee
Manly fans, gotta love em..:roll:....wait till players and staff leave then out come the boots n knives.

BB, he cant explain it, hes been found out as the troll he is, looking for a reaction using BS and emotion....thats why hes pissed off. Only those that have nothing and know it announce their departure.

gr8_1

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Manly fans, gotta love em..:roll:....wait till players and staff leave then out come the boots n knives.

BB, he cant explain it, hes been found out as the troll he is, looking for a reaction using BS and emotion....thats why hes pissed off. Only those that have nothing and know it announce their departure.

What you expect from silvertail scum.

brook

First Grade
All I know is that the last time Blocker was involved in any sort of role with our club was the 98/99 Balmain teams where I believe he was doing a similar role working with the forwards.

Our team back then had a LOT of flaws but honestly our forwards overperformed most of the time so if we can get similar results out of some of the real talent we have at the club now I'd be overjoyed.

Its all speculation though given, as ink already pointed out, Blocker has yet to be given any official role with the tigers he's simply come out and said that he wants one.

super_coach

First Grade
How many cooks do we need---we are like noahas arch we have two of everything --except front rowers and they are extint in tiger land.

We have a headcoach we have a defensive coach we have all the others Boyle,leeds meshia katina,we probably have a kicking coach and a sprint coach--throw in the medical team and the front office and we will need to charter a 747 to fly our mob to Brisbane,and if we tack on blocker we will need a semi to get him up their

Gus22

Juniors
It's true. Roach is due to join Wests Tigers coaching staff.

The delay in an official announcement has been created because the club needs to purchase & import a nuclear waste decontamination chamber & scrub brush from the former Soviet Union. Having been exposed to Manly for so long, Wests aren't allowing poor old Blocker anywhere near Concorde until he's been properly processed.

The original plan was to have Roach report to the decontamination facility at Lucas Heights but after initially responding positively to Wests request, management at LH then fearfully refused to have anything to do with Roach, once they learnt where he'd been.

Ryan

Juniors
I'll post because I want you to know I DO have the courage of my convictions guys:-

1. All I asked at the start of this thread, is if you were happy with Roach coming, and you resorted (some of you - the others I apologise to you) to name calling.

- I then included some statistics Wayne Pearce mentioned on NRL on Fox (again noting the source).

- I then reiterated 2-3 times that I believe the FORWARDS inmproved for two main reasons being Kennedy's inspiaration, and Matt Orford / Travis Burns combinations, and them stearing the forwards around the park.

Note I have continued to be ammicable - without resorting to name calling.

I even tried to supply you with some official information on the subject -

Anyways guys...I accept where your coming from I guess. It would be like me hearing Cement Gillespie was coming back to God's country, and I guess I'd defend him too if people were critiqeing him. So for that - please accept my apology.

Balmain_Boy

I apologise for calling you a grubby little turd. Just felt like using that insult after hearing it on Spoonman. Not meant at all. I do think you are being very unfair on Blocker though. There are a multiplicity of variables and constants in a football team. You have insinuated that Blocker is to blame for all of the forwards' woes, whilst Signings and Orford/Burns should be credited with all improvement. Do you really think that is fair? Taking out the emotive aspect of fair, is there any real empirical evidence to support your assertion? How can you exclude the influence that Hasler may have had upon the forwards? Perhaps Monoghan was a terrible organiser and no matter what Blocker did, he was working with one hand behind his back? With these possibilities, you criticisms of Blocker are plausible, but far from proven. Coming in here with a flimsy basis for your inferences and presenting them as facts is always going to engender discontent.

One specific point. Kennedy joined in 05. If he is a reason for your improvement, why were your figures so very poor in 2005, yet improved in 2006? If you intend to say it is because it took a while for Kennedy to settle in, why were you unwilling to afford Roach the same concession? Further, Whatmough's breakout season was in 2005. At that time Block was forwards coach was he not? Perhaps Whatmough's regression is totally unrelated. I'd also love to know how Kite has not improved this season - I don't remember him being an Australian player when he signed with Manly. He was an undeserving SOO rep at that stage.

I must say stress I am not stating with any certainty that Roach is a good or even passable forwards' coach. More to the point I don't accept your limited evidence that he is a poor one. There are too many variables and possible causes for Manly's performance.

Blocker as forwards' coach is better than no forwards' coach.

PS: For all your claims of amicability the tone of your original message was rather derisive.

simon says

First Grade
Gus22 said:
It's true. Roach is due to join Wests Tigers coaching staff.

The delay in an official announcement has been created because the club needs to purchase & import a nuclear waste decontamination chamber & scrub brush from the former Soviet Union. Having been exposed to Manly for so long, Wests aren't allowing poor old Blocker anywhere near Concorde until he's been properly processed.

The original plan was to have Roach report to the decontamination facility at Lucas Heights but after initially responding positively to Wests request, management at LH then fearfully refused to have anything to do with Roach, once they learnt where he'd been.

LMAO!!!!

Nice work there Gus.....:lol:

Ryan

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
I apologise for calling you a grubby little turd. Just felt like using that insult after hearing it on Spoonman. Not meant at all. I do think you are being very unfair on Blocker though. There are a multiplicity of variables and constants in a football team. You have insinuated that Blocker is to blame for all of the forwards' woes, whilst Signings and Orford/Burns should be credited with all improvement. Do you really think that is fair? Taking out the emotive aspect of fair, is there any real empirical evidence to support your assertion? How can you exclude the influence that Hasler may have had upon the forwards? Perhaps Monoghan was a terrible organiser and no matter what Blocker did, he was working with one hand behind his back? With these possibilities, you criticisms of Blocker are plausible, but far from proven. Coming in here with a flimsy basis for your inferences and presenting them as facts is always going to engender discontent.

One specific point. Kennedy joined in 05. If he is a reason for your improvement, why were your figures so very poor in 2005, yet improved in 2006? If you intend to say it is because it took a while for Kennedy to settle in, why were you unwilling to afford Roach the same concession? Further, Whatmough's breakout season was in 2005. At that time Block was forwards coach was he not? Perhaps Whatmough's regression is totally unrelated. I'd also love to know how Kite has not improved this season - I don't remember him being an Australian player when he signed with Manly. He was an undeserving SOO rep at that stage.

I must say stress I am not stating with any certainty that Roach is a good or even passable forwards' coach. More to the point I don't accept your limited evidence that he is a poor one. There are too many variables and possible causes for Manly's performance.

Blocker as forwards' coach is better than no forwards' coach.

PS: For all your claims of amicability the tone of your original message was rather derisive.

Fair calls - and I could have addressed the topic a little more empathetcially.

I'll be honest, and I'm sure I won't win further support by saying this, but my attitude is the way it is predominantly for the following reason guys:-

1. Blocker (whilst coaching the forwards), laughed and teased his own team of forwards on the radio in 2005 for their performance. In such a derogatory way, Pat Wilson had to pull him aside apparently. I know you might say it may have been justified. I agree - by a non representative of the club though. Not a "professional" employed by the team.

2. Radio appearances always took precedence over the team. Blocker was VERY RARELY at games, watching live his team perform.

3. Whilst still being employed by Manly, he sung Wests Tigers song after Manly failed to make the semi finals. Loyalty to the Tigers (and good on him) I know, but in my opinion, unprofessional. Who here believes Ricky Stuart would sing Canberra Raiders songs while being employed by The Roosters. Exactly - he's too professional.

4. On NRL on Fox, and whilst being employed by Manly, he was commenting on how his son would play for no team (and Blocker would make sure this would happen), other than the Tigers. On that same show he mentioned, he would never be happier than when his Tigers made it through to the Grand Final that year. What about if his employers team made it?

5. In my opinion, and as someone has said in an abusive way to me in this thread - we are the Silvertails. We need to present as such. This is just opinion, but I'll leave it at that.

6. Advertising in The Manly Newsletter his food company, in his TIGERS gear. ONe would think it would have been Manly gear?

Now - I know you are all going to say he's being loyal etc, and I love that in anyone. But doesn't there have to be a duty of care when you are employed by an entity? Isn't advertising The Tigers whilst being employed by Manly a conflict of interest? How would Manly's sponsors and investors feel?

Besides that guys - he bleeds Orange and Black. His heart is and always be in your club, and its aspirations. I bet he gets your young forwards booming.

Someone mentioned earlier that there is a lack of forwards @ The Tigers. Remember - Liam Fulton is coming back. Ryan O'hara in my opinion is one of the best going around. Etc etc. Add that the nucleus of Hodgson, Whatueria, Gallea, Marshall, Morris etc, and you'll be all good.

As for the Canberra guy here abusing me - it's all good mate.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
What about Daley with the Dragons / Raiders?

How about Matty Johns Knights / Storm?

Manly hired Blocker with the terms that he wouldn't attend games and he will be able to continue with his radio commitments. Something your own Fulton endorsed as well.

Just because a guy doesn't support or never played for that club doesn't mean he will lack in the dedication and application required to give 100% when his attention is warranted.

Your club hired him knowing the terms of the agreement and were satisfied with those arrangements endorsed by a Manly legend none of which have come out and said he lacked in dedecation or commitment to the role he was required to fullfill. He completed his contract and wasn't sacked, something a coach lacking commitment and dedication doesn't happen these days.

Ryan

Juniors
I'll concede Mighty Tiger. You guys win this one.
I suppose I can't let personal agenda's get in the way of the fact he probably did try his best.

That said - it will be VERY interesting to see how he fares out West. As said earlier - you guys have a very strong nucleus (espescially with Marshall coming back), so I wish you all good luck in 07.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Ryan said:
I'll concede Mighty Tiger. You guys win this one.
I suppose I can't let personal agenda's get in the way of the fact he probably did try his best.

That said - it will be VERY interesting to see how he fares out West. As said earlier - you guys have a very strong nucleus (espescially with Marshall coming back), so I wish you all good luck in 07.

Thats cool mate.

Unlike other clubs supporters you have put your view accross in a well constructed manner.

All the best to Manly, you have a better backline for next year but with BK missing things are going to be tougher but in saying that it could be the making of the kids into consistant forwards as they will be required to step up and perform consistantly week in week out