What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Carter

girvie

Staff member
Hi, i was wondering what Steve Carter is up to these days. Is he still involved in footy?

*Sandy*

First Grade
Yep. Still involves himself with footy. Writes a regular article for the Sun Weekly. Been involved with motivational speeches for the juniors up here on the sunny CC and i think he may coach his son's team or involved in a junior team one way or another, probably with Wyong Roos. And yes is a Real Estate Agent as well.

There's rumours going round back in England that he could be coaching Widnes next season if we're relegated. He's certainly a very passionate person when it comes to rugby league, and as a player he was tough and uncompromising. I wonder if he's got the coaching qualifications though?

*Sandy*

First Grade
I'd be surprised but then as you pointed out he is still very passionate.

Personally I think he would make a good coach. He seems to have his head in the right gear going by his weekly reports in Sun Weekly.

The Piper

Juniors
My dad was talking to him last week.
He's staying on the coast, staying in real estate, staying involved in footy.
One of the nicest blokes.

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
PK said:
I'd be surprised but then as you pointed out he is still very passionate.

Personally I think he would make a good coach. He seems to have his head in the right gear going by his weekly reports in Sun Weekly.

I'd love to read his stuff in the local paper,any chance of posting it on this site? i rekon he was one of the best blokes i've met after a game at that HUGE club of yours.

*Sandy*

First Grade
I have a couple of times when I found something that you all might find interesting. Maybe I could set this topic up as a sticky and brush up on my speed typing skills by posting his articles up weekly.

I've heard lots of good stuff about Scarts. He is definately one of my alltime favourite boys.

*Sandy*

First Grade
dontmakemeangry said:
I'd love to read his stuff in the local paper,any chance of posting it on this site? i rekon he was one of the best blokes i've met after a game at that HUGE club of yours.

Just for you...

The Sun Weekly, Footy 2005 by Steve Carter. Thursday 18th August.

Broncos still have the Dragons' measure.

With last Sunday's Dragons vs Broncos match still fresh in our minds, you can sense that the semi-finals are just around the corner. The Dragons are obviously out to prove that they are the real McCoy. Im not convinced yet, and still rate the Broncos above the Dragons come the business end of the season.

On the local rugby league front, we the Wyong Roos and The Entrance Tigers qualifying for the playoffs in their respective competitions. The Wyong team continues on their search for the elusive Newcastle premiership this Saturday at 3pm when they take on the Cessnock Goannas at Morry Breen Field in the major preliminary semi-final. Wyong will also take on the Goannas in reserve grade from 1.30pm.

Troy Pezet and the lads deserve a wrap for the performances of all three of the club's senior grades. The club's Open Grade team claimed the minor premiership and have gone straight through to the major semi-final to be played next week. Earlier this year it was publicised that the Roos' top grade had defensive issues. But more recent results show that Pez and the boys have gone a long way towards rectifying them, and it should stand them in good stead in the big games to come.

Semi-finals football demands a different mental attribute than is needed in week to week games. Players' focus must be on defence. Sure you have two or three tricks up your sleeve in attack, but come finals time the teams know each other's styles, strengths and weaknesses, and the only real aspect of the game which needs to be rock solid in tight spots is your defence. This combined with ball possession and field position (a good kicking game) are the three critical areas that a team needs to have in order to win.

*Sandy*

First Grade
lol. yep for this week. If you blinked you would have missed it. Maybe I blinked last week because I didnt see one for last week.

His earlier ones were much bigger, a whole half page worth. His roasting of George Gregan and Union was a good read. There was another time he got into telling us about practical jokes that were played on debut players. His advice was to never shower with a senior player after it or something like that. He even told us the practical joke he did on Gowies debut especially being that Gowie was a cocky little bastard and couldnt help himself telling everyone how to play, LMAO. It was getting into the mental abilities of rookies and how you can tell some will handle their experiences obviously there he was telling us how Gowie was mentally tough and delivered a strong debut after the practical joke was played on him - which would have put a lesser bloke off their game.

*Sandy*

First Grade
The Sun Weekly, Footy 2005 by Steve Carter. Thursday 25th August.

Skin-tight jerseys suit the Catwalkers.

To see all the teams at the weekend wearing jerseys from yesteryear was a treat, even if the current breed of players looked a little out of place in the stripes of past warriors. These days the jersey sizes vary dramatically from those worn in the 1970s and 1980s, and the material used in their manufacture is vastly different. Today, a synthetic and skin-tight material allows players to avoid jumper grabbers and remains light after being soaked.

I remember when we first adopted the jumpers in the new material, and how much the centres and back-rowers loved them. It gave them the chance to show off their rippled bodies gained from spending hours in the gym.

It was a different story for some other blokes who enjoyed the odd beer and weren't too fussed about the ab work. These guys used to leave the old jerseys hanging out to hide the bulges and the love handles.

It was when the new jerseys, which left no where to hide, came in that these once tough warriors became a lot more aware of their bodies. Suddenly they never missed an abs workout. Their conversation at the gym turned from where they were going to have lunch and a couple of beers after the session to how much of an abdominal session they could endure and what type of salad sandwich they would buy.

Pretty soon the big units were emulating the stringent abdominal programs favoured by the Team Adonis boys, as I called them - with mixed results.

In footy you have three types of personalities when it comes to body image.

The Catwalkers are on an endless journey to improve their bodies. They loved to strut their stuff, especially on a hot day during a running session, when the Channel 9 chopper was overhead ready to land for an interview.

The wannabes put themselves through the same gut-wrenching program as the Catwalkers but can't attain the same muscle definition, even though they try every supplement on the market. They also love to get their gear off in front of the cameras, but they too, open themselves up to ridicule from the lads.

The Au Naturals are the 'take-me-as-you-see-me' fellas, such as Peter Kelly, who just dont care too much about what you think of their looks.
They know that it isnt necessary to have great abs to play footy.

When I was playing I floated between the Wannabes and the Au Naturals, until I realised my abs were very shy, so I reverted to the 'take-me-as-you-see-me' camp.

When journalists visited Penrith Park I knew my love handles would be blocked from being displayed on the 6 o'clock news thanks to the Catwalkers jockeying for position in front of the cameras.

------------------------------------------------------------

I know he's talking about my man Girds here. :lol: And possibly having a dig at a certain back rower - Mr Adonis himself. ;-) Good on ya Scarts, he's definately good for a laugh and these are the type of articles I love reading from him.

I wonder where Fibroman fits. The Catwalker or the Wannabe? :D

And on his last article this weekend the Roos beat the Tigers 40 - 0. So they definately have fixed up their defensive problems with Tony Pezet being the outstanding player putting on some trys and setting them up. Scarts knows his boys and the local footy.

*Sandy*

First Grade
The Sun Weekly, Footy 2005 by Steve Carter. Thursday 1st September.

Smith feels heat as Eels close in on premiership.

Has Brian Smith got what it takes to coach a team to an NRL premiership? Well, we're about to find out.

Smith would be starting to really feel the heat now that his Eels are closing in on the minor premiership, and are firming as grand finalists. Smith has had some quality players under his tutelage over the years, but despite reaching grand finals with both St.George and Parramatta, hasnt been able to win a premiership. All coaches have critics. But from my experience, there are a lot of people in rugby league who give Smith flak.

The criticism is generally made about his stringent approach to footy, and the robotic mindset that he appears to like his players to have. There is nothing wrong with instilling discipline and a clearly defined game plan in a team. But problems can develop if the players become so inflexible in their approach that they fnd it difficult to adjust mid-game when they're faced with a scenario that they hadn't expected.

In my veiw, that's what happened to the Parramatta team that got steamrolled by Newcastle in the grand final of 2001. That Parramatta team had systematically disposed of all-comers that year, with an approach that set new statistical records for excellence. But when the Knights ran out in that grand final and heavily man-handled the Parramatta players, and put 24 unanswered points on the board, Parramatta did not know how to react.

Smith is not stupid. You don't survive as a coach in the NRL for as long as Smith has without learning a lot about the game, and yourself. He'd be conscious of the need to change a few things in his approach. And having seen some of the Eels performances in recent weeks, I'd say there are signs there that the team can switch to a Plan B on occassions, and can play with more spontaneity than we've seen from Smith coached teams of years gone by.

The race to secure the eighth and final semi-final berth has come right down to the wire, ensuring plenty of interest in this weekends final round matches. Penrith, Manly and Roosters are all in the hunt.

If Jason Smith plays for Canberra, I think the Raiders will beat Manly and knock them out of contention this Saturday night. And if Ben Kennedy is ruled out for Manly, then that's another nail in their coffin. If Smith is out, and Kennedy plays, however, then that's another story...

Of the three teams left in the running. I think Penrith is the most likely to cause problems for the top teams in the semis. Penrith is playing a carefree style of footy again - similar to the style that took them to the premiership in 2003 - and believe that they can out-score any opponent. If Penrith were to scrape in to the eight, it could set up an entertaining local derby with Parra in the first game of the semi-final series.

As for the premiership crown, I've had to review my opinion of Brisbanes chances following injuries to Webcke, Lockyer and others. St.George-Illawarra and Parramatta are the talk of the town, just as they were at various times in the 70's and 80's. But the Dragons have Achille's heel in the number of their quality players who are prone to injury. When the likes of Trent Barrett, Mark Gasnier, Shaun Timmins and Jason Ryles are all on the paddock, fit and firing, then the Dragons look the goods.

The test will come if any combination of these big name players succumbs to injury between now and grand final day.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Its a bit late... but hey I got a real life!!

The Sun Weekly, Footy 2005 by Steve Carter. Thursday 8th September.

Sharks and Sea Eagles can pack their bags.

Well, after 26 rounds we've seen record crowds and a competition unrivalled in any era of the game.

My only disappointment with the upcoming play-offs is that we have two teams that are simply making up the numbers this weekend.

The Sea Eagles and the Sharks may as well start packing now for their end-of-season trip. What a play-off series we'd have with the likes of the Knights, Panthers and Roosters in that Top 8. You would have to rate the Knights the No.2 or No.3 team on recent form. And to have the teams who have finihsed last and second last win their last six games is unprecedented.

Now I have given some of my closest friends, Ruthy and the Bowman girls, plenty of stick about the Knights this season, but I must come clean and declare that the Knights were terribly unlucky to claim the wooden spoon. The likes of the Warriors were far more deserving of the award.

At the business end of the season you really find out about an individual's ability and mental toughness. These games will be played at a frantic pace and only the players and teams able to withstand long periods of high intensity and pain will prevail.

For me, the jury is still out on Parramatta and St.George Illawarra. But when you look at the other contenders like Nth Queensland, West Tigers and Melbourne Storm, they have also had inconsistant seasons and have shown an inability to play solid 80 minute football.

Which brings me back to the team that everybody has written off, the Brisbane Broncos. I know their coach Wayne Bennett would be loving the plaudits that the Eels and Dragons are receiving. And there is a lot of determination built up in the Sunshine State because of their failures in recent years at this time of year. I just get the sense that they will get back on a roll and will be very hard to hold out. They do have a game that will stand up under pressure, and this is the most important factor in the big games.

We witnessed the Dragons self-destruct against the Storm in front of 110,000 people in the Grand Final of 1999, and I sense that there are elements in the 2005 Dragons team that are comparable to traits displayed by that 1999 squad. In particular, a flamboyance and an inability to stabilise when a game is in control. If coach Nathan Brown can get the message across to his team that they don't have to win by 50 points to claim the greatest prize in footy, then obviously the Dragons have the team to win.

Whatever the result, I think we're in for some great footy in the coming weeks.

Good luck to all of the junior teams in grand finals. To make it this far is a great achievement. It is great to win. But don't get too down on yourself if you lose this weekend. Learn from it, and get more determined to take the crown next year. After all, there's more to life than footy - such as surfing, girls, cricket and, of course, school.

girvie

Staff member
Steve Carter will be the North Sydney Bears Jersey Flegg coach next year.

I am so excited about this. I think he will be great.

choc_soldier

Coach
girvie said:
Steve Carter will be the North Sydney Bears Jersey Flegg coach next year.

I am so excited about this. I think he will be great.

If Scarter is as good a coach as he was a player and leader, it's only onwards and upwards for the Bears!