What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Michaels Joins the Titans

Tyler.Durden

Juniors
NRL Premiership

Steve Michaels released from Brisbane Broncos joins Gold Coast Titans

By staff writers
May 28, 2010
The Brisbane Broncos have released Steven Michaels from his 2010-11 contract before the June 30 registration deadline so he can join local rivals the Gold Coast Titans.
The decision allows him to take up a new contract with the Titans that is effective until 2012.

"It is disappointing to let Steve go but we recognise this does present him with a better opportunity than perhaps if he would have stayed with us" said Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen.

"He has been a terrific club man even while he has been severely hampered by injury over the past couple of years.

Michaels said he left the Broncos pleased with his efforts but full of hope for the future and was happy with the switch to the Gold Coast.

"I have enjoyed my time at the Broncos, but having played little NRL in recent times I saw a greater opportunity to further my career with this deal" he said.

"It's all happened pretty quickly, I only know two or three (players) but I've met heaps of them today and they've all welcomed me," Michaels said.

"The Titans have a great backline here already so obviously I'll have to earn my place. I start playing for Burleigh this week in the Q Cup and I'll have to put a fair few good games together to get a chance up here, so it won't be easy."

Michaels made his debut for the Broncos in round 14 of the 2005 season and has played 59 NRL games, scoring 22 tries.
The strike power and speed Michaels is capable of made his recruitment a 'no-brainer' for Gold Coast coach John Cartwright.

"A couple of years ago he was in line for an Origin spot at one stage, he had a crisis of confidence as the Broncos did last year," Cartwright said.

"They couldn't find a place for him but for us at this stage of the year, it's an enormous get.

"Getting out of the environment he was in will help him.

"You never forget how to play football and he's only 23 years of age so to go from being talked about at State of Origin level as a 21-year-old, to get him now at the stage of his career that he's at is enormous for the club.''

Good luck to him. Wasn't a fan. And he was on a substantial contract i believe. So i think it's addition by subtraction until he score a hattrick against us.

Link

Mr Saab

Referee
Dont let the door hit you on the way out. Will never forget his play in the Broncos slump last year. He wont be missed by me.

beads6

First Grade
Vangana ruined his career.

so true, Michaels till has talent buthis confidence has been shot to bits and he is a winger not a centre...

Good luck to him at the Titans I can't wait to see him playing against us..

lynx000

Juniors
Has someone righted the rudderless recruiting ship at the Broncos???? Does this have anything to do with Gee Gee coming back on board????

Is Sam Thaiday an incredibly hairy man??? These and other exciting questions will be answered in due course.

I wish him luck as well. I hope he gets over the injuries and gets his confidence back, when he was fit and confident he wasn't a bad player.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Nope, scotch or Vodka will do me tonight (whatever is the cheapest). Michaels sucks..and we let go of Boyd..haha one of your best Bruno!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I genuinely hope he does well at the tits. When he was retained and Boyd let go, it was the best decision, as he was on fire on the wing. Boyd was the defensive liability.

Such a shame that the injury (or something else) tainted his time at Red Hill.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Finally some wheels are starting to turn in the right direction again 4 the club in terms of recruitment and retention. Hannant onboard, Michaels gone, now we just want "Code Hopper" to stay and upgrade Gillett on a long-term deal. Cull Tronc or Anderson and a couple of excess backrowers and make a "play for G.I" and a lot of Bronco fans will be smiling no end and forgiveness might just be possible Cullen.

beads6

First Grade
I don't think we need to make a play at GI if we keep Folau. Also I do wonder what is happening with Tronc, I do know he wants to stay.

Dazzat

First Grade
Michaels has come back from two knee reconstructions ... so despite his defensive flaws there is no doubt he has guts.

Totally agree with Pete ... Michaels was being seriously talked about as Origin material before Vagana pulled off that very grubby tackle. To me Vagana looked like he set out to hurt the guy (interesting now Vagana lectures on player welfare now I believe).

Hope he goes well at the Titans ... in all other games apart from those against Brisbane.

Dazzat

First Grade
I don't think we need to make a play at GI if we keep Folau. Also I do wonder what is happening with Tronc, I do know he wants to stay.

Now that Hannant's on board, we're in a totally different position now than five months ago.

Prop forwards are probably covered - and I do hope Tronc stays.

So what is our new priority for recruitment, if indeed we need to recruit at all?

I still get the feeling Hodges is seriously considering England. Why? There's been some whispers about, and his good mate Karmichael has just sampled the good life in France, and Justin could be wanting to follow suit.

If Hodges is leaving, Inglis is target No. 1. If Hodges is staying, then we have a fairly well balanced camp presently, and should just concentrate on player retention.