What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Renouf endures racial abuse throughout career at Brisbane

_Johnsy

Referee
'It was crushing': Broncos apologise to Renouf for racist slurs during career

The Brisbane Broncos have issued an apology to former great Steve Renouf after the Indigenous star claimed he was the subject of racial abuse during his playing days at the club.

Renouf, who won four grand finals with the Broncos, spoke publicly for the first time about his treatment from fellow players in an emotional video interview published on the NRL's website on Friday.

Brisbane chief executive Paul White swiftly sent out a statement offering an apology to Renouf and any other former Indigenous players who may have experienced racism, highlighting the modern day inclusiveness of the club.

"The Broncos offer a complete and unreserved apology to Steve Renouf, and any other Indigenous player or staff member who endured any such comments," White said.

Today at the Broncos we are doing all we can to give back to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, who hold a central and very special place in our club.

"We are incredibly privileged to now have more than 30 per cent of Broncos staff who are of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage.

"Many of these staff are now empowering and inspiring the next generation and assisting young people in our 'Beyond the Broncos' programs."

"Comments such as these have no place in our society nor our game – you can see the impact that those words are still having on Steve today, more than 30 years after he was subjected to them.

Renouf, 50, fought back tears as he recalled a story of teammates using an acronym he was unfamiliar with after he arrived at the club as a 17-year-old. He was later told the acronym stood for three racial slurs.
I signed with the Broncos when I was 17 and '88 was my first year and I came there with the earmuffs on as I was brought up," Renouf told NRL.com.

"There used to be this saying 'NBD'. I used to think, 'I wonder what that acronym means?'

"I must have asked one of my mates at the footy club, I can’t remember who it was. They said, 'you don't know what that is?' I said, 'no'. He told me and he said, 'n****r, Aboriginal, darky'. I went, 'wow'.

"But once again you block that out. And the reason why you get a bit emotional is because it is my club. In hindsight I deflected a lot of that.

"[But] it was crushing this was coming out of the mouths of guys I used to watch on TV only a year before. It just showed to me it had been around for a long time, not just at our club. Brisbane is not a racist club, it was just a few individuals."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...cist-slurs-during-career-20200731-p55hf2.html

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
I've been racially abused on the footy field and in classrooms (for being Aboriginal). There was a time I got all sad, emotional and distressed about it.

After a while, I learnt 'these b*stards know I am better'. From then on, the attitude was to be ruthless and ensure I won no matter what. Then after it, shake their hands, smile, and be classy. Because no matter what those b*stards say or do, they will never ever beat me.

I honestly wish more Indigenous sports men took some perspective in this: you are racially abused as a form of sledging. It is because the opposition knows it is the last thing they have over you to put you off your game. So read between the lines... the fact they are bringing up race means they are inadvertently acknowledging you are the superior player. So don't put the head down and cry nor throw punches... tear them apart on the field, and then rub it in by being respectful to them after you've humiliated them on the field.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
I've been racially abused on the footy field and in classrooms (for being Aboriginal). There was a time I got all sad, emotional and distressed about it.

After a while, I learnt 'these b*stards know I am better'. From then on, the attitude was to be ruthless and ensure I won no matter what. Then after it, shake their hands, smile, and be classy. Because no matter what those b*stards say or do, they will never ever beat me.

I honestly wish more Indigenous sports men took some perspective in this: you are racially abused as a form of sledging. It is because the opposition knows it is the last thing they have over you to put you off your game. So read between the lines... the fact they are bringing up race means they are inadvertently acknowledging you are the superior player. So don't put the head down and cry nor throw punches... tear them apart on the field, and then rub it in by being respectful to them after you've humiliated them on the field.

It goes along the same lines of dealing with bullies in general: Anyone capable of resorting to rubbish like this has to be a deeply miserable piece of shit in their heart of hearts, and on some level they would know it. The best reaction is to rise serenely above it, as hard to do as this must be.

It's just awful to think how recently this sort of unthinking, casual racism still seemed 'normal' and unremarkable. Having our collective consciousness raised about this has been painful and there's a long way to go but nothing good was ever easy.

Well said.

Words from racist fools mean nothing because they are coming from a racist fool.

The only words you should ever take notice of are people you respect and love,

All power to you!

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
It goes along the same lines of dealing with bullies in general: Anyone capable of resorting to rubbish like this has to be a deeply miserable piece of shit in their heart of hearts, and on some level they would know it. The best reaction is to rise serenely above it, as hard to do as this must be.

It's just awful to think how recently this sort of unthinking, casual racism still seemed 'normal' and unremarkable. Having our collective consciousness raised about this has been painful and there's a long way to go but nothing good was ever easy.

I also think race gets too much attention in sports. Maybe for the click bait or to stir up racial tension in the community.

My sporting experience was overwhelmingly fantastic. Anything negative I might have thought about white people or pacific islanders was instantly eradicated because I loved and the respected the hell out of my team mates, and I can say it was the same for them with me being seen as a man, and not an Aboriginal. Sports brought us together, even though a minority could try to ruin the fun and divide us all.

Media wankers on the far left and far right just want to sell papers, and their own personal brand, by keeping us hating each other and pointing the finger at each other.

Game_Breaker

Coach

Good attitude to have

As for Renouf's case, how f**ked in the head do those teammates have to be to racially abuse a 17yr old coming into the club

blue bags

First Grade
tbf most racists I’ve met are fcked in the head. It’s a totally irrational position to hold and is generally a sign of lack of intelligence and ability to rationalise.
and they feel insecure , vulnerable, low self esteem, ignorant, dumb. stupid, and behave like a troll,
they want to hurt, be spiteful, vindictive, to feel good about themselves,
its really really sad and pathetic, good on Steve letting everyone know about it, good on him. loved his footy game, 1 of my favorite players of all time

Reflector

Juniors
I also think race gets too much attention in sports. Maybe for the click bait or to stir up racial tension in the community.

My sporting experience was overwhelmingly fantastic. Anything negative I might have thought about white people or pacific islanders was instantly eradicated because I loved and the respected the hell out of my team mates, and I can say it was the same for them with me being seen as a man, and not an Aboriginal. Sports brought us together, even though a minority could try to ruin the fun and divide us all.

Media wankers on the far left and far right just want to sell papers, and their own personal brand, by keeping us hating each other and pointing the finger at each other.

Consider this comment liked twice, if I were able to do so.

Reflector

Juniors
Well said.

Words from racist fools mean nothing because they are coming from a racist fool.

The only words you should ever take notice of are people you respect and love,

All power to you!

On a slightly similar note, whenever somebody talks shit at me I ask two questions:

a) Who is the person flinging shit my way?
b) Are they somebody I respect, somebody I'd want to change places with?

Makes it really easy to filter out the voices you can afford to miss vs. the people worth listening to.

blue bags

First Grade
a 17 year old rising star, gets abused by some bigheaded insecure dickheads, wow
young juniors should be nurtured, not abused by some pig gutter freak creeps
Steve is one of best rugby league players you will ever see
peace brothers

some11

Referee
And why would he stay at the club?
You could say he got his own back, between 1991 and 1998 he averaged 17 tries a season which is ridiculous for a centre. Holds the record for most tries for the Broncos, holds the record for most tries in a game (4 tries, 5 times), most tries in a season (23, twice)

Rep'd QLD & Australia, named in the Indigenous team of the century. The best centre the Broncos have ever had.

Latest posts