What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Roach

undertaker

Coach
Had to laugh when Wests Tigers got rid of him as forwards 'coach' and he crying about they should have showed loyalty or some shit. This from a guy who ran off with Alan Jones to Souths and coached thier lower grades. Coached at Manly as well.

What is it with Fox hiring these tools who were sacked from ch 9 years ago.

Give someone like Warren Boland a gig.

THIS.

Warren Boland would've made an excellent sideline commentator or pre-game/half-time/post-game host. Could've easily taken Matt Shirvington's position. He at least loves the game and knows his RL, but like many others such as Graeme Hughes, have had little opportunities in the 21st century. That's the reality with the Australian tv industry these days: once you hit a certain age, regardless of your gender and how reputable or well-received you were in past tv gigs, opportunities become extremely limited. Baby John Burgess learnt that the hard way.

Btw, I wasn't aware Blocker coached at Souffs and Manly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Painful listening to his Tigers cheerleading today. Why they keep giving ex players commentary gigs is beyond me. Very few are any good.

Brutus

Referee
Had to laugh when Wests Tigers got rid of him as forwards 'coach' and he crying about they should have showed loyalty or some shit. This from a guy who ran off with Alan Jones to Souths and coached thier lower grades. Coached at Manly as well.

What is it with Fox hiring these tools who were sacked from ch 9 years ago.

Give someone like Warren Boland a gig.

Would love to see Boland back calling games.

Brutus

Referee
that doesn't make sense, since Raaaay was the one who pushed for Blocker to be sacked at 2GB over that 'bullying' incident.

They had no choice but to sack Blockhole from 2GB. The guy he bullied James Willis knew his rights and was never going to let it pass.

Blockhole still found his way back. I wonder how.

no name

Coach
Surely knowing the rules is a pre requisite to commentate on games.
Casual observers would have been confused as f**k with him and Warren Smith giving conflicting information regarding rules today.

Brutus

Referee
THIS.

Warren Boland would've made an excellent sideline commentator or pre-game/half-time/post-game host. Could've easily taken Matt Shirvington's position. He at least loves the game and knows his RL, but like many others such as Graeme Hughes, have had little opportunities in the 21st century. That's the reality with the Australian tv industry these days: once you hit a certain age, regardless of your gender and how reputable or well-received you were in past tv gigs, opportunities become extremely limited. Baby John Burgess learnt that the hard way.

Btw, I wasn't aware Blocker coached at Souffs and Manly.

Unless you're Blocker Ray or Rayyyyyy. It is ok for them to be old.

moffla

Bench
Surely knowing the rules is a pre requisite to commentate on games.
Casual observers would have been confused as f**k with him and Warren Smith giving conflicting information regarding rules today.

My missus loves the game but is still coming to grips with the rules. I think she just got sent back 12 months listening to the commentary today ffs

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Blocker's ok on them shows but as a commentator a bit hard to take. Then again most of them are.

What is Warren Boland doing these days since he's no longer at ABC?

coolumsharkie

Referee
I will say though and I'm the odd one out that I generally think this forum hates most commentators. I do think its a tough crowd. I know thread on worst commentators and I think they named every commentator in the business. lol ;)

Kind of with you here, don't mind Blocker, he has an old school approach to his commentary that i find refreshing.

POPEYE

Coach
Whatever else he's just plain f**king annoying to listen to . . . I'm forced to watch 9 while on the Sunshine so no volume is the answer to such annoyances

Valheru

Coach
My favourite yesterday was "The tigers should have played for a repeat set, they would have scored another try".

WOULD have, not could have after building more pressure but would have. Blocker can tell the future apparently

Paullyboy

Coach
I'm very thankful I watched the 9 version yesterday by the looks of it. And that surprises me given I spent the whole time wondering if Gould honestly thinks people like his horrific attempts at banter with Rabs. Don't get me wrong, I made the mistake of thinking it was entertaining once, back in 2006 I think. Since then it's just been abysmal to listen to.

Yet saying all of this, I can easily see how Blocka commentating a Tigers game would be considerably worse.