What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steven Masters to Bunnies?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You mean he was almost good enough?
Well, McGregor’s called back try was worse..

It was legitimate, goddamn you..

And maybe, just maybe, if they’d have let him score that the Steelers would have been premiers that year and he wouldn’t be coaching now, chasing that elusive trophy..

Is that what you think I'm doing? I'm not mitigating anything. I don't see Garrick as being of any value - why can't you accept that? I have to accept that you like him as a player, but somehow you can't accept that I saw no value in keeping him. Even to the point where you suggest I'm "playing down" his supposed improvement to mitigate that we didn't give him a chance.

You really are a tool.
I don't think you needed to react the way you did.
You were not the only one that saw Garrick as no loss.
Point being how do we know that if we have never given him a go?
Why are we buying players from the market when we have talented youngsters that we could develop into first graders?
That transcends our debate.

True_Believer

Juniors
Why are we buying players from the market when we have talented youngsters that we could develop into first graders?

You are unbelievable. Because that is your opinion it transcends the debate? Yeah righto.

Our debate is about a single player who I perceive as less talented than who we have bought. I'm not talking about other players. Your argument is that because we didn't give him a shot in first grade, that that ends our discussion. So my opinion counts as nothing.

Who else has expressed a belief that Garrick isn't a loss? And even if you weren't referring to me, why is their opinion a mitigation of your opinion? Looks like you're suffering delusions of grandeur.

You are unbelievable. Because that is your opinion it transcends the debate? Yeah righto.

Our debate is about a single player who I perceive as less talented than who we have bought. I'm not talking about other players. Your argument is that because we didn't give him a shot in first grade, that that ends our discussion. So my opinion counts as nothing.

Who else has expressed a belief that Garrick isn't a loss? And even if you weren't referring to me, why is their opinion a mitigation of your opinion? Looks like you're suffering delusions of grandeur.
My opinion is just as valuable as yours.
Not more, not less.
Relax

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I did let the forum know we were about to lose 2 juniors in the sack McGregor thread in late June. Well there you go masters finally had enough as was suggested to me and we are losing RR to the Cowboys.

Can someone please tell me if the board who are in charge for the success of the club actually care about the direction this once great force is heading.

I understand they are both untried but how can you put maranta there and not give a young kid willing to break a leg to play and expect any respect in return. The young brigade although may be a bit different nowadays from when I was growing up would at least think they are some chance to show their talent.
Sure we lost bird some may say look at him now but the main reason we lost him was knuckle heads arrogance of not knowing how to work with players coming through. No wonder the kids in lower grades have no time for our great coach and that is fact. They absolutely despise him.

What is it our board see that we don’t as I would love to see the vision at the end of the tunnel

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I did let the forum know we were about to lose 2 juniors in the sack McGregor thread in late June. Well there you go masters finally had enough as was suggested to me and we are losing RR to the Cowboys.

Can someone please tell me if the board who are in charge for the success of the club actually care about the direction this once great force is heading.

I understand they are both untried but how can you put maranta there and not give a young kid willing to break a leg to play and expect any respect in return. The young brigade although may be a bit different nowadays from when I was growing up would at least think they are some chance to show their talent.
Sure we lost bird some may say look at him now but the main reason we lost him was knuckle heads arrogance of not knowing how to work with players coming through. No wonder the kids in lower grades have no time for our great coach and that is fact. They absolutely despise him.

What is it our board see that we don’t as I would love to see the vision at the end of the tunnel[/QUOTE]

Very good question, to which, I'm sure, we would all like to know the answer.

I'm getting the feeling that this whole WIN buy-out was just a ruse to carry on feeding from the trough. Part of that would also be that the "good guy" McGregor would be extended. Actually employing new people would involve work and serious thinking, which is way beyond most who are on the Board.
Sadly, as long as memberships keep rolling in, the status quo will remain.

possm

Coach
I seem to remember that we did give Garrick a couple of games in first grade and he performed badly. The problem is that Garrick needed a real coach to instruct him over the off-season and now Hasler has Garrick and a couple of other ex-Dragons playing very well. Wouldn't it be great to have AFB in our prop rotation?

Reddragon

Bench
I think it's because McGregor is a defensive, even fearful, coach. He is not innovative or a risk taker. His teams play with a very limited structure but no great fluidity. That mindset means he will always take what he thinks is a safe bet, like former NRL players no matter how average rather than risk an unknown junior.

BLM01

First Grade
I think it's because McGregor is a defensive, even fearful, coach. He is not innovative or a risk taker. His teams play with a very limited structure but no great fluidity. That mindset means he will always take what he thinks is a safe bet, like former NRL players no matter how average rather than risk an unknown junior.

I agree. The blue print for mary was the Broncos game in the final.
Forget your boring uneventful game plans, just let em play what they see and attack how they want.You as a coach focus on defense only. 50% of the job is all you need to do.
All Mary needs to do is to say "enjoy your footy, play how you want in attack but if you make mistakes prepare to defend your arses off! and back up mistakes"!

Reddragon

Bench
I agree. The blue print for mary was the Broncos game in the final.
Forget your boring uneventful game plans, just let em play what they see and attack how they want.You as a coach focus on defense only. 50% of the job is all you need to do.
All Mary needs to do is to say "enjoy your footy, play how you want in attack but if you make mistakes prepare to defend your arses off! and back up mistakes"!
McGregor was the most surprised person in the stadium that day.
But I like the idea of him limiting his damage by minimizing his coaching

goggles

Juniors
How's Taane Milne going? Household name yet?
:wink:
Don't know and don't really care tbh. As I said at the time, he has the ability (just like Mann, who I was actually commenting on)... whether he gets there will depend on a lot of things, and for mine nothing has changed on that front. To be fair to him, he's still young and in his first year at a new club; so maybe give it a bit of time Crush? He's not on the scrap heap just yet...
Speaking of scrapheap... I'm only really interested in the Dragons, and on that note: anyone who ever thought Mary was a potential supercoach (and you certainly were a staunch fanboy!) isn't one to be trying to put shit on anyone else.
;)
for what it's worth... I'd take Milne over Maranta any day

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Don't know and don't really care tbh. As I said at the time, he has the ability (just like Mann, who I was actually commenting on)... whether he gets there will depend on a lot of things, and for mine nothing has changed on that front. To be fair to him, he's still young and in his first year at a new club; so maybe give it a bit of time Crush? He's not on the scrap heap just yet...
Speaking of scrapheap... I'm only really interested in the Dragons, and on that note: anyone who ever thought Mary was a potential supercoach (and you certainly were a staunch fanboy!) isn't one to be trying to put shit on anyone else.
;)
He's well and truly on the scrapheap if you ask me. Thats OK, you got it wrong, no shame in that, we all make judgement errors.

Latest posts