What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sth-East Qld Residents (Current or former) - Feedback please

Inala and Acacia Ridge are nice places. You could pick up a 3 bedroom fibro home for around 350k. You will probably get a free car body with it and you wont ever forget your post code cause it will be spray painted on the outside of your house.

isaiah

Bench
If they were looking at Brisbane and not the coast, north of the river is better imo. Less traffic, less dodgy areas, house prices can vary though... though for 500k you could get a pretty mint house in somewhere like Chermside (and if he got a job in Qld health, the prince charles hospital is just up the road!).
If you pick your spot on the south or west there are good safe suburbs. Commute is breezy. I work near the airport. Just have to pick your route.

Nugget10

Juniors
I live in Alexandra Hills. If I were to move anywhere it would be Thornlands. About 30 km's from the Brisbane CBD. Down the road from Cleveland and Victoria Point for shopping. Capalaba's not far away and has pretty much everything in the industrial estate. It's a great area for kids to grow up.

_Johnsy

Referee
Hey all,

Recently I've started giving some serious thought to re-locating from Sydney to Queensland, in particular south east QLD. I'm married with a couple of primary school aged kids... The wife's sister lives up there with her family, and have done so for the past 7 or 8 years after selling up in Sydney. We've been there a few times and stayed with them and I'm now starting to think I could easily make a permanent move.

I guess I'd like to hear people's thoughts, especially anyone who has made a similar move recently. Pros/Cons etc .

We're looking at the Coomera area to move to. Firstly though I need to get a job up there and it's almost a given that I'd be working in Brisbane if I was to land a job (I'm in IT), so I'm prepared for a commute. The missus might be able to keep her current job and work remotely so that's kinda handy... We've got a 6 week overseas family holiday starting in September so I'm kind of in a jam at the moment Re applying for jobs, I don't suppose too many prospective employers would be enthused about hiring someone right now who needs to take 6 weeks leave 2 months after starting!

Thanks in advance

Mate PM me & 'll pass on my mobile & feel free to ring & have a chat. I've lived on the GC for 30+ years, and now live on the Nth part of the Coast. Work also gives me some very valuable insight to different areas on the GC. Some areas get a undeserved bad wrap, others have a great name. There are so so many variables to consider.

I'd rather that that post war & peace.

Last edited:

redvscotty

First Grade
The drive from Brisbane to GC any time after 3PM on a friday is a f**king nightmare.

Monday mornings aren't nearly as bad if you time your run.

Or just buy a motorbike.

Northside 4 lyfe.

_Johnsy

Referee
The drive from Brisbane to GC any time after 3PM on a friday is a f**king nightmare.

Monday mornings aren't nearly as bad if you time your run.

Or just buy a motorbike.

Northside 4 lyfe.

I'd quite often drive home from Brissy @ 530am & from Stanley St turn off to just south of Ikea is bumper to bumper crawling at about 10-15km/h. Having done the commute for 4 years the train is the way to go, if your work is close to a station.

I grew up in Sydney until my early 20's, moved to Wollongong for a few years while at Uni, then ended up on the Gold Coast for 3 years. For the most part I found the people there insufferable, with a horrible attitude towards anyone who wasn't a born and raised local.

To say I am much happier being back in Sydney is an understatement.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I grew up in Sydney until my early 20's, moved to Wollongong for a few years while at Uni, then ended up on the Gold Coast for 3 years. For the most part I found the people there insufferable, with a horrible attitude towards anyone who wasn't a born and raised local.

To say I am much happier being back in Sydney is an understatement.
I thought we treated you well SGL. ;-)

Where were you living?

I can't say I've had the same experience. I moved from Sydney to the GC in 1998 (northern end) and haven't met anyone carrying on like that. On the contrary, it took me a while to get use to the lifestyle as it was more laid back than in Sydney.

Not so much now because the place has doubled in size and is really a city now, but in the late 1990s it was still like a big country town.

lol. I recall going into Southport on our first Saturday night here and you could shoot a cannon ball down the main street. It was a big adjustment for someone who was used to living in Sydney's inner-city.

But Southport has really taken off in recent years. Broadbeach has come of age as well. Don't go into Surfers much, I think most locals avoid going there.

I thought we treated you well SGL. ;-)

Where were you living?

I did say "for the most part" Willow. ;-)

I lived in Coolangatta. I did find if people had moved there from elsewhere (you, Serb, Twiz to name a few) they were pretty good and made up the vast majority of my friends there. But the born and bred locals were complete and utter merkins who went out of their way to make life difficult.

Latest posts