What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sticky appointed fill time NSW coach

Lambretta

First Grade
I think he is just trying to make sure that a lot of the casual NSW fans aren't thinking that he is going to be our saviour. He also emphasised that he wanted more support from the NSW community. I think he is trying to make the state feel more involved in origin

Funny thing is - his appointment is most likely to do the opposite

He was right about one thing in that interview though - two of the five series were decided by one single moment and they could have gone the other way.

I think during this period of complete Queensland dominance that the gap has been much closer than we give ourselves credit for.

I just cant see the logic, with talented players such as Carney, Pearce and Campese coming through, why we'd be so desperate to un-do it all by employing the poison dwarf as NSW coach.

super_coach

First Grade
Ricky has a mind set that goes back to his chooks days, and its all about brutal forward exchanges, gang tackles and keep it very simple in attack.

Now thats not such a silly idea, St George played a similar style this year but it dosnt work against the cane toads. I think the blues have to play a similar style to the wests tigers and try and out skill them in attack and hopefully out score them and really if this is the direction they decide to go in Sticky than has no idea.

Sticky's appointment is just another jobs for the boys along with Harrigan, another reason why the AFL must think they have some chance of cracking the Sydney market when they look at what they are up against at the NRL,s brain trust

His only chance is if he stacks the team full of Raiders and Todd Carney.

Joel Thompson, Josh Dugan & Carney all HAVE to be there if they're any chance. Pity Campo will be out for a while. A halves combo of Carney/Campese would of been ideal. Mitchell Pearce is not up to it.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well I think it is a great appointment.
At SoO level, coaching is far more about motivation than tactics. Hold the pil, run hard, tackle hard.
I do not think Mal Meninga has had any outstanding tactical game plans, but has motivated his team very well, and selected very well.
Ricky has passion for the blue jersey and this will rub off on the team that gets selected.
Now that the selectors are gone NSW has a much better chance. Now that the coach is not an NRL coach as well, NSW has a much better chance.
I do wonder how much say Sticky will have in the City, Country game, ie. will he make certainties miss the game, will he ask for certain players to get selected to see what they have.

timka4

Bench
At SoO level, coaching is far more about motivation than tactics. Hold the pil, run hard, tackle hard.
This. I hope Sticky will just let everyone play their own attacking game style yet unite the squad defensively

super_coach

First Grade
I do not think Mal Meninga has had any outstanding tactical game plans, but has motivated his team very well, and selected very well.
Ricky has passion for the blue jersey and this will rub off on the team that gets selected.
Now that the selectors are gone NSW has a much better chance. Now that the coach is not an NRL coach as well, NSW has a much better chance.
I do wonder how much say Sticky will have in the City, Country game, ie. will he make certainties miss the game, will he ask for certain players to get selected to see what they have.

Mr Angry--that is the whole problem. Nsw keep sending a team of toilers out their with the instructions "hold the ball, dont pass it, run straight and hard and keep it SIMPLE. We need to reinvent origin football and change our style all together. Get the likes of Dugan, Carney,Pearce and Farah in the key positions and let them use their attacking skills. Okay it might take a few games to start coming together but it has to beat the crap that has been serve up over the past few years

hybrid_tiger

Coach

This is EXACTLY in a nutshell EVERYTHING that is entirely wrong about the current NSW side.

This is why we get Beau Scott-esque selections.

As Gould would say: no, no, no, no, no.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Seems to work for QLD quite well.

The core of the QLD side is Slater, Lockyer, Thurston, Smith all players with skill who can create things.

NSW pick Beau Scott in the centres to "shut down" dangerous opposition players, and pick centres at five-eighth.

How about we pick some dangerous players ourselves, instead of picking a team to try and stop QLD from scoring points?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I am all for it, like I said we have more chance as the selectors who kept picking duds are gorn.

All I am saying is QLD do not have a complex tactical game plan. Hold the pil, NSW fail here. Run hard, they do, tackle hard, they do.

The selections will be interesting.

I reckon a large squad will be named early.

Joker's Wild

Coach
His only chance is if he stacks the team full of Raiders and Todd Carney.

Joel Thompson, Josh Dugan & Carney all HAVE to be there if they're any chance. Pity Campo will be out for a while. A halves combo of Carney/Campese would of been ideal. Mitchell Pearce is not up to it.

Yeah with superstars like Tongue, Butriss, Logan, Fensom and Robinson how could we not lose :roll:

Careful you dont go blind champ

RHCP

Bench
I think that evil mob of referees is behind the lack of Raiders in the New South Wales side.

MacDougall

First Grade
Yeah with superstars like Tongue, Butriss, Logan, Fensom and Robinson how could we not lose :roll:

Surely you could have chosen a better list of players to take aim at there. Tongue is all class, Buttriss, Logan and Robinson are all underrated and get the job done and Fensom is gonna be a superstar.

watatank

Coach
Nothing wrong with Fensom and Tongue. As for the rest LOL. They may be a bit underrated but they're not Origin players. also Logan is a QLDer who left the Raiders.

Big Pete

Referee
Nothing wrong with Fensom and Tongue

At this stage of their respective careers there is.

Fensom is still too young, another year and he could be ready.

Tongue is past it and there are better backrow options.

Dugan, Learoyd Lahrs would be the only players I'd be deeply considering at this stage...Joel Thompson, Jarrod Croker and Dane Tilse would all be bolters.

LOL you're such a hater buddy. Face it, there's plenty of Raiders who deserve a shot at making NSW. I mean if Kurtis can make captain, Buttriss should be able to walk into the side :lol:. Fensom's better than any player in the Knights forward pack.

How did that humble pie taste after your team lost the 4 nations final btw?

Vic Mackey

Referee
The core of the QLD side is Slater, Lockyer, Thurston, Smith all players with skill who can create things.

NSW pick Beau Scott in the centres to "shut down" dangerous opposition players, and pick centres at five-eighth.

How about we pick some dangerous players ourselves, instead of picking a team to try and stop QLD from scoring points?

LOL mate that would make way too much sense

Joker's Wild

Coach
LOL you're such a hater buddy. Face it, there's plenty of Raiders who deserve a shot at making NSW. I mean if Kurtis can make captain, Buttriss should be able to walk into the side :lol:. Fensom's better than any player in the Knights forward pack.

How did that humble pie taste after your team lost the 4 nations final btw?

lol yeah sure mate. Theres no hate for the Raiders from me here, just calling you yet again on your blind bias for anything lime green, your Buttriss comment a prime example. The only Raiders outside of Dugan and TLL that are anywhere near Origin level are all Qlders.

I rate Fensom as a club player but if you think he is a chance over guys like Bird, Gallen, Lewis, hell even Watmough, then you are as deluded as they come.

Missed my congratulations to you speciafically in the final match thread obviously. Unlike yourself champ, I have no issue in giving credit where its due.

Keep on hating bro :lol:

haha i'm not hating bro. I'm just not rating - Kurt Gidley. But then again no one does except you Knights fans. I give credit where it's due, It's just Kurt doesn't deserve it.

Butriss comment was a joke.
Fensom comment wasn't.

Dugan, TLL, Joel Thompson should all be certs. Campo would be too if not injured. Croker could come into calculations as well. NSW are lacking in the centres.

Sorry I missed your congrats. I was too busy enjoying yet another tournament final win over the Roos.

Latest posts