What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still love ya Brownie

_Johnsy

Referee
Brownie = top bloke. Great club man.

Brown - I'll cheer Dragons all the way

585131-nathan-brown.jpg

No hard feelings...sacked Dragons coach Nathan Brown wants his former side to win the NRL premiership. Source: The Daily Telegraph

NATHAN Brown left the Dragons sacked and broken-hearted after six gruelling seasons trying to win his long-time club a premiership.

But the former coach has sent an emotional message to St George Illawarra players from the north of England: "Go and win the comp."
Brown, who is coaching third-placed Huddersfield in Super League, is still cheering the Dragons as the famous club, who play Melbourne in a bumper match at Jubilee Oval tonight, inch closer to their first premiership since 1979.
Hard as he tried, Brown could not crack a title with the Dragons.
In 2005 and 2006, his sides were eliminated in preliminary finals, while he was hooker in three teams - 1993, '96 and '99 - that cruelly lost Grand Finals. But Brown's passion for his former club refuses to die.
"I'd love nothing more than to see them win the competition this season," Brown told The Daily Telegraph last night.
"I'm rapt they're doing so well.

"I talk to (CEO) Peter Doust regularly and (assistant coach) Steve Price and (manager) Craig Young. "Guys like Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh, Justin Poore, Dean Young - those blokes gave me nothing but great support.
"No one would be happier than me to see them go and win the premiership. I'd love to see it. "And Wayne Bennett is a nice man, too. It really is good they're going so well." However, Brown is refusing to claim any credit for St George Illawarra's stellar season.
"Nup, nothing like that," he said. But Young was happy to deflect some praise Brown's way. "(Brown) had a lot of do with a lot of our players, from Jersey Flegg right through to first grade," Young said.
"He was involved in their skills development, which helps them today," he added. "It's nice to see him still cheering for the club. That's the sort of bloke he is. Nathan spent a long time here and wants to see the club go well."

Brown is eyeing a Grand Final victory with the Giants, who are captained by former Wests Tigers fullback Brett Hodgson, before returning home for summer.
"I'm really enjoying it over here," Brown said. "It is also good for the family. From a football point of view, we have a good bunch of blokes. They all work hard and winning makes the game more enjoyable.
"We have been reasonably consistent and are playing well. All clubs are trying to make ground on St Helens and Leeds, but I feel like we are improving. If we can just win our share of games, we can definitely finish in the top four. The top four is obviously a realistic goal."
Brown also spoke in glowing terms about young Bradford prop Sam Burgess. The 20-year-old has indicated he wants to play in the NRL, with Manly mooted as contenders for his signature.
"He's the best young front-rower I have seen," Brown said. "He has a barrel-chested build, is powerful, has footwork and can unload before the line or through the line.
"He is also tough, so he ticks all the boxes. And Sam is only young. Whoever gets him will be getting a high-quality player."

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
as someone who called for Browns sacking for several seasons i am still glad to see him NOT part of the club.... however i never doubted his love for the red V, he simply was in a position he didnt have the qualifications for....
it must be bitter sweet seeing the turn around in the club, both on and off the field not only in the increased skills of the team and the individuals, but also the massive change in attitude.
he would be happy to see the team successful - but also envious that he didnt have the ability to achieve this himself.

grandorient

Bench
I love Brownie too, but as Mr Red just said, not the right man at the right time.

I sincerely hope his career goes well and he brings to any club, the passion he had/has for St George.

Who know what the future holds for this bloke and blokes like him, and of course I am thinking of Brad Fittler as I type. Both great footballers, both great clubmen, just thrown into coaching without sufficient or for that matter, any training in the role.

Godd luck to you Brownie and Fittler, I hope you both enjoy bright futures.

GO

_Johnsy

Referee
I always said he was given the job, way, way too early. No doubt the man has ability as a coach.

saint-colesy

Juniors
Please dont compare Brownie to that dumb arse westie they call Fittler.

Browns a hundred times the bloke and a thousand times the coach that Fittler could ever hope to me

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Too true. I still have fond memories of Brownie tearing Fittler a new one in the 1996 and 1999 finals. He was always one of my favourite players back in the day.

I've been following Huddersfield this year, and he has them playing some bloody great footy.

Godz Illa

Coach
Be nice to play Huddersfield in the World Club Challenge. I'd even be pleased to see Brownie knock Bennett off again.

boxa777

Coach
I wish Brownie all the success. He is a champion bloke and a good coach.. Hopefully he comes back to the club one day.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If only Brownie coached the Dragons to 1 more game against the Storm. That would have been a cracking game. The Dragons would probably lose in terms of the result but surely win the fight. That blast he did after the Storm game was champagne Browny.

I have a feeling we have not seen the last of Brownie at the Dragons.

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
I'll always love brownie, hopefully Dragons play Hudderfield in the world club challenge next year.

xofstgeorge

Juniors
You could always tell he was a club man. Lived, breathed and bled red and white.
Too bad was fed to the wolves at such a young age and not given an apprenticeship under a proven coach.

Easts To Lose

Juniors
Browns a hundred times the bloke and a thousand times the coach that Fittler could ever hope to me

Thats right Fittler will never be in the same class as Brownie.

Too true. I still have fond memories of Brownie tearing Fittler a new one in the 1996 and 1999 finals.

Guys,
Lets not get crazy here.
I know your all excited about your great year but abit of reality please dragon fans,
Brownie Better than the football God Fittler?
DELUSIONAL DELUSIONAL DELUSIONAL

cooper04

Juniors
You could always tell he was a club man. Lived, breathed and bled red and white.
Too bad was fed to the wolves at such a young age and not given an apprenticeship under a proven coach.

So true.. great player, loved the red and white and potential to be a top coach but put in the job way to early.

btw it's Brownie's birthday today.. happy 36th birthday.

Latest posts