What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stopping Taylor 101, enroll now Benny

_Johnsy

Referee
If TAYLOR is going to be playng wide again, which I am sure he will. Here are the steps to stopping him in his tracks. If he gets smashed once or twice he goes missing.

Step 1; Select Micky PAEA
Step 2; Instruct PAEA, everywhere TAYLOR goes you go
Step 3; When TAYLOR gets the ball, you farging smash him. Do not give him a minutes rest.
Step 4; Everytime TAYLOR runs as a decoy, smash him.

Problem solved.

j0nesy

Bench
I'd get Costigan to defend in the centres. Just like he did last time we played Brisbane. Although I don't think Taylor was playing a wide running game back then.

dragonszero9

Juniors
Don't know about costigan lately poor defence and ball control

i vote paea hasnt he been training hard with the boys?

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I'd get Costigan to defend in the centres. Just like he did last time we played Brisbane. Although I don't think Taylor was playing a wide running game back then.
Costigans lateral defense of late has been terrible. I'm actually more confident of Soward stopping Taylor than Costigan. I wouldn't even have him in my side this week, I'd have Paea over him.

Dragon Dave

Bench
I'm with J0nesy. Give Nev the job and we've always got Beau 'The Hitman' Scott there to help out aswell. If there's one thing Benny has bought with him it's stability which in tern gives the whole squad confidence. He doesn't panic and won't make wholesale changes to try and stop 1 in-form player.

That being said, it's all hypothetical and I'm 99.9% sure we will have the exact same 17 as last week.

j0nesy

Bench
Costigans lateral defense of late has been terrible. I'm actually more confident of Soward stopping Taylor than Costigan. I wouldn't even have him in my side this week, I'd have Paea over him.

He probably doesn't need to worry too much about his lateral defence against Taylor :)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
simple. provide the dragon army with tranquilizer darts & pea shooters..

Shaquille-O-Neal.jpg

watatank

Coach
Just because the same 17 is travelling to Brisbane that doesn't mean there won't be changes...

I hoping for Nightingale at fullback and Boyd in the centres...but who am I kidding :lol: that won't happen with Brisbane sure to use Folau and Taylor targeting our right edge defence.

Godz Illa

Coach
I was thinking just a moment ago, we need more Mickey Paea posts.

Mickey Paea can feed the crippled, and heal the poor. Praise be

_Johnsy

Referee
Godz

He has given the most impact of our bench this year. He was dynamite before getting injured earlier in the year.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i'm in a pickle..

i have a heap of people to feed, but only 7 loaves & 5 fish..

i wonder if mickey could help?? ;)

Godz Illa

Coach
Nope, he's overrated. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Costigan has performed the bench impact role much better in bigger games. Was down a tad last week but deserves to remain ahead of Paea. fmd I still can't believe we're talking about Paea!! I always fall for it

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Nope, he's overrated. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Costigan has performed the bench impact role much better in bigger games. Was down a tad last week but deserves to remain ahead of Paea. fmd I still can't believe we're talking about Paea!! I always fall for it
In Paea's games this year... He has averaged 33 minutes (which is how Costigan is being used now), 94m from 10.1 runs and 19.3 tackles with 0.8 missed per game.

Costigan has averaged 53 minutes for 8.2 runs and 59m, 19.2 tackles and 3.1 missed.

Paea was far more effective off the bench, especially in the manner Costigan is currently being used. Paea is our best meter eater behind Weyman without question, and still very solid in defence. That view hasn't changed from the 1st week he played to now, his absence has nothing to do with it. He did the job much better than what Costigan is doing right now.

Costigan also has 14 errors for the season, Paea has none.

Last edited:

The Nick

Bench
If TAYLOR is going to be playng wide again, which I am sure he will. Here are the steps to stopping him in his tracks. If he gets smashed once or twice he goes missing.

Step 1; Select Micky PAEA
Step 2; Instruct PAEA, everywhere TAYLOR goes you go
Step 3; When TAYLOR gets the ball, you farging smash him. Do not give him a minutes rest.
Step 4; Everytime TAYLOR runs as a decoy, smash him.

Problem solved.

That's a terrible game plan. Shadowing players in defense might work in under 13's, but in NRL you have to hold your corridor.

What happens if Taylor is standing on the left edge, then heads to the right hand side of the field to support Lockyer on the inside? Do you expect Paea (a 110kg prop) to move laterally 20m at a seconds notice, and the whole defensive line to react instantly without leaving a hole where Paea was?

_Johnsy

Referee
Nick,

With our defensive pattern one player out of the line in cover defence, immediately behind the first line of defence wont have to much of an impact.

How would you stop him/limit his impact.

Godz Illa

Coach
Skewed comparison, Firey Dragon, especially if you're including all of Costigan's appearances in that average. He's played in a number of different positions, even the centres for a few games.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Skewed comparison, especially if you're including all of Costigan's appearances in that average. He's played in a number of different positions, even the centres for a few games.
Costigan got smashed in every stat, with Paea having far less minutes under his belt. It may be skewed, but the average meters Paea makes, low errors, and great tackle efficiency cannot be argued.

Paea is a much tidier defender and a far better meter eater than Costigan. Stats just back up that opinion.

If we were playing Costigan longer minutes, I'd agree with you. However, Paea is a MUCH better impact forward. Costigan offers no go forward, and whilst he hits hard, he is often easily avoided. Paea adds alot more aggression. Costigan hasn't played well for a number of weeks. I would even suggest Saffy would be a better option at this point.

Last edited:

The Nick

Bench
Nick,

With our defensive pattern one player out of the line in cover defence, immediately behind the first line of defence wont have to much of an impact.

How would you stop him/limit his impact.

We play a compressed sliding defense, meaning if Prior moves up and slides left, then Beau Scott has to move left with him, Sowie left with Scott, and Sailer left with Sowie etc.

So what happens if you have Paea shadowing Taylor? Well if Taylor is standing in the centres with Paea shadowing him, all Darren Lockyer has to do when the Broncos are on the attack is call Taylor further infield. Taylor heads infield to the middle, Paea follows him, so then Beau Scott, Sowie and Wendell have to all compress inwards to close the gap left by Paea, which straight away means that there's space on the outside of Dell for Darren Lockyer to send a nice cutout ball for a flying Israel Falau.

How would I stop him? To be honest I have no idea! :lol::lol::lol:

But in Wayne I trust