What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm 09/12?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And so on that basis, they can get away with murder....

In the spirit of anal pedantry you've brought to the board, cheating isn't murder.

Did the punishment fit the crime? Most league fans say no, the NRL and Storm fans say yes.

This is a good thing because it generates drama and conflict into the future. Sports fandom thrives on that shit.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
If the NRL had wanted to apply the salary cap as it stands, with the Storm's double contracts continuing to count against the cap for their duration, they would have been over the cap (and thus playing for zero points each week) for the next two or three years.

Justice for us opposition fans, sure. But hardly conducive to the development of rugby league in Melbourne.

Only if they allowed the Storm to terminate any of the existing contracts would they be able to add the figures together.

bartman

Immortal
In the spirit of anal pedantry you've brought to the board,
:lol:

cheating isn't murder.
Metaphorically speaking (as indicated by the ellipsis following the final word...).

Did the punishment fit the crime? Most league fans say no, the NRL and Storm fans say yes.

This is a good thing because it generates drama and conflict into the future. Sports fandom thrives on that shit.
True, I enjoyed waving my spoon at the merkins when we smashed them (in a fantastic atmosphere) at Parra Stadium in 2010.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
:lol:

Metaphorically speaking (as indicated by the ellipsis following the final word...).

True, I enjoyed waving my spoon at the merkins when we smashed them (in a fantastic atmosphere) at Parra Stadium in 2010.

That was the last time I went to Parramatta Stadium. Awesome game, and to think I nearly bailed because of the weather.

The next Eels game I went to was in Melbourne last year. It was considerably less awesome, and I haven't seen the Eels live since.

if you really wanted to hurt them you would add the two contracts together and make them pay that figure

I assume you mean in cases where there were substitute contracts, rather than multiple contracts incremental to each other? If so I wouldn't care if they did that, but would ultimately come down to whether the 2nd contract actually rescinded the 1st. In case of substitutes, Just add the smaller contract to the fine, rather than give it to the player.

Last edited:

God-King Dean

Immortal
Players who won a "legal" premiership last night, and who were assembled illegally (ie, joined the Storm in 2009 or before)

1. Slater
3. Nielsen
4. Chambers
5. O'Neill
6. Widdop
7. Cronk
8. Bromwich
9. Smith
11. Proctor
12. Hoffman

14. Manu
15. Hinchcliffe

So I'm thinking that's an asterisk premiership. Feel free to accuse me of sour grapes (yes, it would be partly true) - but if you do so, PUHLEASE first try and explain how they actually got penalised for their cheating methods of assembling a gun squad?

Provided they are actually operating under the cap now (and it took 5-6 years for the auditor to bust them last time) then I'm thinking the only way we can possibly view them as a legal team is when they no longer have players assembled 2009 or before.

The plus side of them winning is that it's good for the game overall!

Very true. Gun side assembled illegally.

Whilever the 3 big cheats continue to play for them they will still be gaining an unfair advantage over the rest of the comp. After years recieving more than they should have they will be happy to stay together for less. We get rorted out of a premiership by these arseholes shed players and pick up the spoon while these pricks go on to win a title. Seems fair to me.

the NRL have no clue how to really punish teams who cheat the cap .... i think they just were naive when they went easy on the dogs - but i think they should have learnt a lesson and dealt with the storm harsher ... but no .... and this is the result

the AFL had one major case of cheating the cap - Carlton - and they f'n hammered them and it has taken about 10 years to get back and they are still not quite there

and all this talk about needing a successful team in melbourne for the league .... pfffft, it's rubbish .... league is still nothing in melbourne .... it's like AFL in sydney (only of less importance) - they will occaisionally win, they will get some support, but at the end of the day its just the poor cousin that will never really achieve alot .... the crap about tv rights baffles me - no one watches league in melbourne anyway

I'll move on when they're legal. I don't see the problem in reminding people that they're still prospering from their cheating. Why are you so keen to move on when the Storm hasn't yet???

I agree with everything in this thread. They are illegally assembled. Put an * next to 2012.

i don't know about anyone else ... but its more than just the cap rorting for me .... the pricks have been cheating with all their dirty tactics for years AND denying they train to do it - ripping arms out of sockets, choking, twisting every f'n limb they can get hold of, putting knees in ..... and to have the hide to deny you set out to do it is just ridiculous ..... of course I won't believe any of those smug pricks when they then deny any knowledge of cap cheating.

they are cheating pricks and it will be quite a while before I feel otherwise .... if i am carrying a chip or whatever then so be it

I don't care what any Johnny come lately Storm fan thinks. The fact is they wouldn't have their 3 superstars if they hadn't cheated.

There's no way they would have been able to keep those together.

I won't let it go until every player involved with the cheating is gone.

Me too. 12 of a GF squad of 17 from the illegal assembly years - definite asterisk imo.

Just as much as the Dogs win in 2004 after being busted illegal assembly in 2002. Both comp wins were too soon not to be tainted.

Oh well, off season now! :crazy:

The spoon hurt for a week. I'd rather that than have my side caught deliberately and willfully cheating. There are some good Storm fans around, and I'm happy for them...but f**kwits like you are the reason so many people still do, and will always, hate your filthy club.

This.

Every year someone wins the spoon and every year someone else are premiers. It's no big deal.

Far less common is being caught cheating. This is what the current Melbourne Storm team will always be remembered for.

Mate I really couldn't give a f**k about your 2012 premiership, I care about the fact you beat us in a Grand Final, beat us in a Grand Final qualifier, beat us in the first week of the finals, all by small margins I might add and with some dodgy ref calls thrown in for good measure, while your team was massively cheating the cap, robbing some of our club legends of a shot at a premiership in the process. I don't care if the team, you or any other fan think you've served your punishment, your team can go get f**ked.

#CheatingScum

no - we just don't know how to do that either

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the former assistant coach at your filthy club who earnt the spoon before he pissed off like the useless, incompetent cheating f@ckwit that he is.

Bunch of cheating f@#ken w@nkstain merkins. Piss off back to your own forum

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well it worked for the Storm so I now condone cheating. It's just a shame we got caught due to backstabbers within the club. Which is also how the Storm got caught.

Lol. What this team did and what the Scum did are exactly the same? Are you Father Dougal Maguire? No matter how hard you try you just don't understand the difference between'small' and 'far away'?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Good bump Dean. Lets see how our cheating 2012-15 teams have carried forward.

1. Robinson
2. Sio
3. Morgan
4. Tonga
5. Blair
6. Roberts
7. Sandow
8. Mossop
9. Kelly
10. Lussick
11. Harrison
12. Ryan
13. Paulo (joseph)

14. Pauli
15. Lasalo
16. Billy Rogers
17. Maitua

There was a host of other stars we cheated to acquire or retain during that period: McGuire, Allgood, Keating, Burt - we even cheated to bring in supercoaches Kearney and Stuart.

Looking at the list makes me think of what might have been what if we hadn't moved towards legality? This host of illegally assembled stars could have had a dynasty.

I do feel like our spoons should be asterisked as a result Dean. Glad you bumped it to make this point.

strider

Post Whore
Cool ... 2 years after getting caught is where its at ... im booking my world club challenge tickets for 2018 now