What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm are goooooooorne in 2010.

KKW

Juniors
NRL poised to strip Melbourne Storm of points over salary cap breaches

PREMIERS Melbourne Storm are braced to lose NRL premiership points as a result of salary cap violations.

Storm officials are in Sydney today for discussions over the outcome of NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert's investigation into player deals.

Leading sports bookmakers Sportingbet Australia this morning suspended wooden spoon betting after a series of bets on the premiers at $251 to finish last.

Rumours swept league circles today that the Storm would lose their premiership points and face a hefty fine.

It is understood any fine or sanction won't be retrospective, so Melbourne's 2009 premiership is not threatened by the findings.

The fine is likely to be at least a large six-figure amount, with rumours it could go as high as $1 million.

Asked by The Courier-Mail this morning if the Storm has been stripped of their eight premiership points, NRL chief executive David Gallop said: "There hasn't been that decision. There hasn't been (a decision on a fine).

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"I can't really comment on anything that is going on with the storm at the moment. I have said before we are investigating a number of issues. it's the same position.

"I'm working on it as quickly as I can."

A loss of eight premiership points would not end Melbourne's chances of making the final eight, but even the mental strength of a team which has made the past four grand finals, winning two, would be tested.

Canterbury were stripped 37 premiership points in 2002 and were also fined $500,000.

The Warriors were the most recent violators of the salary cap, starting the 2006 season with a four-point deficit and having to operate under a reduced salary cap, as well as pay a $430,000 fine.

Sportingbet Australia chief executive Michael Sullivan said the wooden-spoon bets set off alarm bells as the Storm were favourites for the premiership.

"We took three bets to win $10,000 and another to win $8000 on the Storm for the Wooden Spoon all within 10 minutes of each other this morning," Sullivan said.

"You don't take a series of bets like that unless someone knows something or think they know something and we have suspended betting on the wooden spoon as a result."

Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith was implicated last month in a possible salary cap breach by the Storm over a television appearance deal.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1225856812862

Play The Ball

Juniors
The part I find confusing, everyone knew, even the fans on the street that Cam Smith signed a deal with fox sports , why has it taken over a year to look into it .

Rexxy

Coach
Hahaha. Scum team, scum club, scum supporters.

Every premiership now has an asterix attached.

Nothing good can come from something born in so much evil

Bman26

Juniors
Hahaha. Scum team, scum club, scum supporters.

Every premiership now has an asterix attached.

Nothing good can come from something born in so much evil

Nice to say the supporters are scum you f**kwit. We obviously knew about it, you're a complete f**king merkin.

Rexxy

Coach
Your sad collection of Pacific Trailer Trash and the worst sort of Northern English refos gave it to Saints fans at Telstradome. Storm boy, that odd collection of mishaped spoof covered foam from Clarke rubber, ripped up a dragons Mascot, to the frothing mouths of Victorian f**ktards.

Rot in hell, you results of a John Ribot premature ejaculation.

Have a great year....

Rexxy

Coach
Your sad collection of Pacific Trailer Trash and the worst sort of Northern English refos gave it to Saints fans at Telstradome. Storm boy, that odd collection of mishaped spoof covered foam from Clarke rubber, ripped up a dragons Mascot, to the frothing mouths of Victorian f**ktards.

Rot in hell, you results of a John Ribot premature ejaculation.

Have a great year....

Ridders

Coach
Shattering news. Chin up guys. You guys are going to cop epic amounts of sh*t from opposition fans. It will take time, but it will eventually get better. In times like this, you guys need to rally and stick together.

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
cheers Ridders.

Im just sad for the game, sad for the young kids down here who have taken up the game in record numbers.

Devoted Dragon

Juniors
Sucked in u bunch of silver spoon rorters. I dont know why ur allowed to stay in the comp. Sucked in cam,billy and the other turds in purple rot in hell all of ya and yeah u too molly meldrum u homosex*** weirdo. Let this be a lesson to all u non sydney pretend clubs. If your going to be in our competition play by the rules or do a storm. Lol. Next check on the brisbane team of the early to mid nineties !! Hahahahahahahahah suked in storm u cheating grapple tackling mental state sledging feet tackling first little sh#ts !!!!!!

Play The Ball

Juniors
opposition supporters may beat their chests thinking this is good news,

If they love their NRL they will realise this is a big kick in the guts to the sport of NRL, another huge negative headine,

no melbourne , and the sport goes back to two states and is more suspect to being swallowed up by the AFL, as it gets bigger and bigger .

For the record , I would rather have supported an average honest storm than a cheating one ,

Its a sad day for Storm fans and NRL in general.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Yeah, I have tried to write on here about 4 times but it keeps timing out .... just wanted to say that anyone laughing at the fans are fools .... I feel bad for Melbourne fans, you are the innocent party here, to have 5 years of wonderful memories flushed down the toilet is devastating.

The club is soulless, evil, corrupt, and a cancer on the NRL, however .... everyone has waited years for their suspicions to come true, and it has finally happened, I guess.

Father Jack

Juniors
surely the NRL could've come up with a penalty that didn't completely disenfranchise Storm supporters? Always going to be a twinge of doubt when you win a premiership from now on

Sam_the_man

First Grade
To all the moronic wankers going after the Storm fans, get a life you geniuss! Keep your chins up Storm fans, there are far more people that are supporting you than these cheap shot pricks.
I love the Warriors and we went through our own cap problems, so hang tough it will work out in the end.

Rexxy

Coach
You were all complicit. No one is innocent

go do something productive with your life Storm fans, like plunging your heads into boiling chip pans.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
You were all complicit. No one is innocent

go do something productive with your life Storm fans, like plunging your heads into boiling chip pans.

And heres wanker number one.

How the f**k would you know who is and isn't complicit? You don't but you, me and everyone else does know is that you are a grade one fool.

grandorient

Bench
F*ck Me,

What has this got to do with the fans.

I really feel for you guys. I don't know how I would feel or cope if a similar thing happend at the Dragons. There is nothing I can say that will make you guys feel any better, except that I support the fans through all of this.

You guys have been let down by the club, certain officials, and there is no doubt in my mind, certain players. Saying "chin up" in these times means very little, but I do sincerely support you guys at this time.

I don't believe that stripping all points from now until the end of the season is the best action. Far better to ensure that Melbourne somehow field a team that is under the cap, with excess players either not playing, or going to other clubs.

Good luck fellow fans.

GO