What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm exodus begins - trio to Wigan 2011

stormbati

Bench
With the new concessions, it was actually around the 1 mill mark and apparently if I read correctly, Lima, Hoffman and Finch leaving almost halved the amount. Inglis leaving will take it under the cap. Either that or cut 2-3 other players.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never thought of that, great point. I know Tolman was off contract and I'm pretty sure Jeff Lima and Ryan Tandy were too. Not sure on Hoffman though, I'm pretty sure he signed a long term deal not that long ago. But I don't imagine they've actually saved themselves that much on next years cap at all.
They are listed in my previous post in this thread.

Lima had a year remaining.

dasherhalo

Juniors
So all those negatives (probably) put them back under the cap.... but don't they need to replace the players leaving to make up the 25 for a full roster?

thorson1987

Coach
So all those negatives (probably) put them back under the cap.... but don't they need to replace the players leaving to make up the 25 for a full roster?

Easy, the same way we "thought" we were filling the squad, with numpties, who we turn into stars, or at the very least decent players.

manly40gimps0

Juniors
Easy, the same way we "thought" we were filling the squad, with numpties, who we turn into stars, or at the very least decent players.
f**king bullsh*t, you buy junior rep players from NSW, QLD and NZ and claim you develop them....f**king lol.:lol: have a look at the profiles of your NSW cup squad.

manly40gimps0

Juniors
We develop them:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Here's a list of the storms u/20s full of "local juniors" who we developed

Kirisome Auva'a
Rep. Honours : New Zealand under-15’s in 2007, Queensland under-16’s rugby union 2008, Queensland under-18’s rugby union in 2009, Australia A rugby union in 2009
Junior Clubs : Otahuhu Rovers NZ
Uiti Baker
Rep. Honours : New Zealand under-15’s in 2007, New Zealand under-16’s in 2008
Junior Clubs : Wainuiomata Lions NZ
Previous Clubs : Wests Tigers
James Barker
Junior Clubs : Scone Thoroughbreds NSW
Previous Clubs : Manly Sea Eagles 2006-08
Kenneath Bromwich
Junior Clubs : Manurewa Marlins New Zealand
Mike Chee Kam
Rep. Honours : New Zealand Merit under-16’s (2008) and under-18’s (2009)
Junior Clubs : Mt Wellington Warriors NZ
Matt Currie
Rep. Honours : Aboriginal under-16's 2007, Victoria Open team 2009
Junior Clubs : Wests Panthers QLD
Eddie Faamausili
Junior Clubs : Papateoe Panthers, Auckland
Michael Gavan
Rep. Honours : NSW Country under-15’s 2005, NSW Country under-18’s 2008
Junior Clubs : Kurri Kurri Bulldogs NSW
Previous Clubs : Newcastle Knights
Lucas Grech
Junior Clubs : Altona Roosters VIC 1
Slade Griffin
Rep. Honours : New Zealand Merit under-18’s 2007, NSW under-18’s 2008
Junior Clubs : Cobden-Kohinoor Keas NZ
Ben Hampton
Rep. Honours : Queensland Schoolboys 2006-09
Junior Clubs : Temora Dragons NSW
Tohu Harris
Rep. Honours : New Zealand under-15’s in 2007
Junior Clubs : Tamatea rugby union club
Jake Hawkins
Rep. Honours : NSW Country under-18’s 2008
Junior Clubs : West Tamworth Lions
Brett Jarrett
Rep. Honours : NSW Combined High Schools under-15’ in 2009, NSW CHS under-17’s in 2009, AIS 2009
Junior Clubs : Farrer Agricultural School
Josh Jerome
Rep. Honours : QLD under-18’s in 2009
Junior Clubs : Eastern Suburbs
Robbie Kurth
Rep. Honours : Victorian under-15’s in 2007, Victorian under-18’s in 2008-09
Junior Clubs : Waverley Panthers VIC 2
Blake Leary
Rep. Honours : Queensland under-15s (2006), under-16's (2007) and under-18's (2009), and Australian Schoolboys (2008)
Junior Clubs : Nerang Roosters
Previous Clubs : Gold Coast Titans
Bennett Leslie
Rep. Honours : Australian under-18 indigenous team 2008, NSW Country under-18’s 2007-08
Junior Clubs : Umina Bunnies NSW
Pita Maile
Rep. Honours : 1 Test for Tonga 2009
Junior Clubs : Cabramatta NSW
Previous Clubs : Parramatta Eels

Ryan Marlin
Rep. Honours : NSW Southern Country Combined Catholic Colleges 2008
Junior Clubs : St John's NSW
Previous Clubs : St George-Illawarra

Sam Martin
Rep. Honours : NSW under-18’s 2009
Junior Clubs : Mullimbimby Giants NSW
Jordan McLean
Junior Clubs : Young Cherry Pickers NSW
Maipele Morseau
Rep. Honours : Queensland under-18’s in 2009, Australian Schoolboys in 2009
Junior Clubs : Saguci Tigers NZ
Rulon Nutira
Rep. Honours : Junior Kiwis 2005-06, NSW under-17’s 2007
Junior Clubs : Hornsby Panthers NSW
Previous Clubs : Parramatta Eels
Robert Rochow
Rep. Honours : NSW Country under-16’s and under-18’s
Junior Clubs : East Maitland Griffins NSW
Previous Clubs : Newcastle Knights
Theodore Stuart
Rep. Honours : New Zealand under-16s (2007)
Junior Clubs : Papakura Sea Eagles NZ
Young Tonumaipea
Rep. Honours : Victorian under-18’s 2008, Combined Affiliated States team 2009
Junior Clubs : Northern Thunder, Melbourne 3
Brayden Wiliame
Rep. Honours : NSW Under-17 squad 2009
Junior Clubs : Woy Woy Roosters NSW
Jarome Wilson
Junior Clubs : South Newcastle Lions
Previous Clubs : Newcastle Knights NSW

With the new concessions, it was actually around the 1 mill mark and apparently if I read correctly, Lima, Hoffman and Finch leaving almost halved the amount. Inglis leaving will take it under the cap. Either that or cut 2-3 other players.

Let GI go...would rather watch the likes of Proctor, Manu and Hinchcliffe develop to be honest.

The team needs some depth.

dasherhalo

Juniors

But if you have to replace roughly 10 players roughly @50k minimum, isn't that $500,000+ added back to what ever savings you've just made?

Billythekid

First Grade
quinn was on 290K? That is disgusting. We really have a lot of overpaid underperforming players on our side. As long as we keep the main players (cronk, smith and slater) i don't think we will be much worse than we are now.

jaynie

Juniors
these figures were published on the smh website today.

STORM DAMAGE

Departed

• Ryan Hoffman (Wigan) - $250,000
  • Jeff Lima (Wigan) - $250,000
  • Aiden Tolman (Bulldogs) - off contract
  • Ryan Tandy (Bulldogs) - off contract
  • Brett Finch (Wigan) - off contract
  • Total saving - $500,000
Potential departures

• Greg Inglis (Brisbane, Gold Coast) - $660,000
  • Brett White (Canberra) - $300,000
  • Anthony Quinn (Huddersfield, Wigan) - $290,000
  • Adam Blair (Warriors) - $220,000
  • Sika Manu (Cowboys, Knights) - $200,000*
  • Kevin Proctor (Cowboys) - $100,000*
  • Dane Nielsen (Sharks) - off contract
Potential saving - $1.77 million

* estimated annual salary

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...inglis-is-not-one-of-them-20100719-10hvx.html

But if you have to replace roughly 10 players roughly @50k minimum, isn't that $500,000+ added back to what ever savings you've just made?

Very true. Based on the SMH estimated player salaries that could be potentially saved, 13 players at a minimum wage of $55,000 (iirc) - $715,000 - needs to also be added back into the cap.
Therefore only an estimated $1,055,000 saving.
They were projected to be $1.3mil over right? So they need to lose an additional player on at least 300k to be under if my calculations are correct (accounting for the add-in of another minimum wage player).

bartman

Immortal
The calculations are correct, but due to cap changes/concessions for 2011, the Storm just have to lose about $1mil, not the $1.3mil that there were found to be rorting by.

thorson1987

Coach

Yes that is true. But with the amount some of the players are on it wont be too hard. Alot of the guys are on really inflated contracts which they shouldnt be anywhere near.

jaynie

Juniors
The calculations are correct, but due to cap changes/concessions for 2011, the Storm just have to lose about $1mil, not the $1.3mil that there were found to be rorting by.

True, I forgot about the new concessions there. We are also assuming that the Storm will be able to sell off the players at their current contract value and will not have to absorb any overs - with so many on inflated contracts I am not convinced that will happen unless they are able to sell them all to SL clubs. As much as the Storm say that will not happen (absorbing overs not selling to SL!), what will they do if they can't sell off the players? imo, they need to s*ck it up and sell one of the 'big 4' to make the situation more comfortable.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Assuming the magic number is 1 mil after cap concessions are figured in, and those telegraph contract numbers are about right, so far they've lost

Finch
Tolman
Tandy

All of those players were off contract and would need to be replaced by a 55k minimum player. So basically they now need to off load 1.165 mil.

Hoffman - 250
Lime - 250

Again, $110k worth of minimum replacements saves them $390k, which then reduces the number to 775k to still get under the cap.

So losing Inglis wouldn't fix it (if I'm right, wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong) and if he stays in the NRL there's no chance he'll be on 660k with another club so the Storm would have to pay out some of his contract.

I'm picking even if Inglis goes, the Storm will have to offload 2 more players (White and Quinn the most likely) to get under the cap as all three would again have to be replaced by the 55k minimum.

Then there's the likes of Duffie/Nielson who are off contract and may no longer accept the minimum payment.