What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm 'gamesmanship' angers Warriors/ Fined $10,000 by NRL

Shorty

Staff member
Danish said:
To fix this problem, the NRL should simply make the referee in charge of starting the game, rather than the players.

You are meant to be receiving the ball like the storm, but aren't on the field to do so?? Tough luck, ref blows time on and the team kicking off can simply dribble the ball 10m, collecting it and walk in a try.

You are meant to be kicking off but are still in the sheds stuffing around when the half is meant to start?? Penalty awarded to the receiving team on halfway, then they simply take the tap and walk in a try.

Seems fair to me.
Yeah cause that's totally plausible.
:lol:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
storm did the same in the 06 GF and got fined for it (it was lost in the aftermath of poor refereeing decisons and the storm choking)

whislt i dont think it's a good thing to keep the other team waiting it's not exactly the wrost thing the world either...

Danish

Referee
Why does the NRL need the approval of the teams to introduce such a basic rule??

If you are talking about teams protesting that 10 minutes hasn't actually elapsed, I have yet to see a team protest that one half of footy was not precisely 40 minutes in length, so I cant see this being a problem either.

Having the timer start the moment the hooter blows on the scoreboard of the stadium would pretty much nullify and protests by teams.

Danish

Referee
Shorty said:
Yeah cause that's totally plausible.
:lol:

Please explain why this is not a plausible situation.

Is there some valid reason why a team cant be ready to receive the ball or take the kick off in 10 minutes that I am not aware of??

JoeD

First Grade
Is there any rule about how long a team has to not show up for before they forfeit the game?

Danish

Referee
There is in every other sport in the world, so you would have to think so....

Mind you the only time I've seen a referee/umpire with enough balls to enforce such a rule was booted out of his job. Of course, the sub-continent doesnt have a team in the NRL so we should be alright in that regard.

Shorty

Staff member
Danish said:
Please explain why this is not a plausible situation.

Is there some valid reason why a team cant be ready to receive the ball or take the kick off in 10 minutes that I am not aware of??
How do you think it looks for the NRL for a team to score a try because the team isn't on the park?
Even if the team was in there for 20 minutes it still looks silly and I doubt any teams would want their trys scored that way.

Fined,docked of points are fine.

Danish

Referee
Shorty said:
How do you think it looks for the NRL for a team to score a try because the team isn't on the park?
Even if the team was in there for 20 minutes it still looks silly and I doubt any teams would want their trys scored that way.

Fined,docked of points are fine.

the fines are not a good idea, as they ultimately have no effect on the outcome of the game (much like the stupid "shot clock" fine). Docking points is far too great a penalty, and for that reason will never be enforced.

I think you will find that such an event will only happen once. As soon as the clubs realise that the NRL is serious about enforcing the system I proposed, you will never have a team running "accidentally" late for the kickoff ever again.

I think it would be a good look for the game anyway TBH. It shows they the league is in charge of what happens on the field, rather than the clubs. At present we have the lunatics running the asylum.

I am sure all warriors fans, players and officials would have loved to be able to waltz in an easy 6 points last night. And as a fan of the game in general, so would I. As it stands now melbourne will get away with a slap on the wrist, if that.

Danish

Referee
On top of that, docking the storm points would not have been fair on either club.

Being a few minutes late for kick off is not worthy of losing 2 points for the storm, and docking points from Melbourne gives no gain to the warriors. Allowing the warriors to score an easy 6 pointer (which would have put them in front) while still giving the storm 39 minutes to make up for their mistake is the most suitable punishment IMO

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah I can see what you're saying now,but I mean that sort of thing happening would sh*t the opposition off immensely and though they'd never try it again it would be in the papers for weeks.
Thus causing NRL bad media

Danish

Referee
I dont see what bad media it could possibly cause???

For example, if this had been in place last night, and the warriors were gifted a try for the storm staying in the sheds, who would be siding with the storm in the media??

Any protest on their behalf would just be sour grapes, and treated as such. It would be a memorable occasion, no doubt, but it would be remembered fondly IMO as a time when the NRL showed a bit of spine.

Shorty

Staff member
It would be in the media for months,it's all good to be hypothetical but we don't know how it would be dealt in real life.
I think it's a bit of a extreme example and to be honest it probably hasn't happened that often..

But Storm appear to be repeating culprits,so I still say a fine or possible point dock.
It's not something so significant that it needs a rule change in place,imo.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
What is the time frame at halftime break? 10 minutes or so. That is enough time for coaches to get their instructions out, and review their plans for the 2nd half..and all that sort. To f*****g stuff around and play the innocent card of 'we didn't know' is absolute trash to me. I say this not just as a Warriors supporter but as a league fan. I hate being made to wait. It ticks me off, to wait longer than what is deemed appropriate for a game to start. Whatever it is they were doing in there, stuffing around..is their business but there was a game to get on with.

But knowing the NRL they won't do much. Give 'em a warning perhaps? Geeze, hello!! Yes Melbourne you are the premiers and nobody can deny you that great title...BUT THAT WAS 2007, THIS IS 2008! You don't have the power to alter the rules to your liking. Grow up. Play the game properly.

Yes you may all think I'm having a whinge because my team lost last night but I was more pissed at being made to wait for 'them' to get their arses onto the field

Danish

Referee
Well we have had 1 shoulder injury in recent memory from a 3rd man in tackle, and all of a sudden we need a rule change for that :sarcasm:

The warriors were all over the storm for the final 15 minutes of the 1st half. Bellamy's move was a very deliberate one in order to gain back the advantage. It worked a treat with melbourne pretty well closing the game out within 5-10 mins of the kick off to the 2nd half.

yobbo84

Coach
Danish said:
To fix this problem, the NRL should simply make the referee in charge of starting the game, rather than the players.

You are meant to be receiving the ball like the storm, but aren't on the field to do so?? Tough luck, ref blows time on and the team kicking off can simply dribble the ball 10m, collecting it and walk in a try.

You are meant to be kicking off but are still in the sheds stuffing around when the half is meant to start?? Penalty awarded to the receiving team on halfway, then they simply take the tap and walk in a try.

Seems fair to me.

I agree in part - when the ref blows time off for the first half, the clock starts. They should have 15 minutes from that point.

At the end of the 15 minutes, if one team is out there and ready, and the other team is not, a penalty should be awarded on the half way line to the non-offending team. They take the penalty when the other team gets out there.

The Colonel

Immortal
Hoggy said:
With the one at the start of the game, it appeared at the actual game that the Warriors came out early, rather than us late to be honest. Generally the Storm's pregame goes pretty much to schedule, but then the Warriors appeared out of nowhere, with our pre game still going on, and it caught the crowd by surprise as well.

Having said that, us waiting in the rooms for a couple of minutes doesn't even come close to the cheating that is players that fake injuries to get penalties.

An easy solution would be to have both teams come out at the same time, soccer style - but that is a bit un-rugby league like isn't it?

Ground manager controls the time they are permitted to enter the field based on the tv schedule. I worked at Parramatta Stadium for four years as part of the event staff and they run per the FoxSports/Channel Nine schedule and are pretty strict to that - particulary FS. Any pre-match or half-time entertainment fits amongst that schedule.

If the Warriors were allowed enter the field "early" than it would have been 99% certain because the ground manager allowed it......

JB

Juniors
Danish said:

Seems fair to me.

While i cant see that happening there definitely needs to be some form of onfield punishment so teams learn to get their act together.

Interestingly in rep Touch if a team hasn't taken the field the opposition gets awarded a touchdown every 2 mins until the other team appears. After 5min it's a default.

I'd go with both teams getting a 2min call prior to kickoff and if they dont take the field within those 2 min, a penalty at halfway to the non offending team.......and a hefty fine.

Shorty

Staff member
yobbo84 said:
I agree in part - when the ref blows time off for the first half, the clock starts. They should have 15 minutes from that point.

At the end of the 15 minutes, if one team is out there and ready, and the other team is not, a penalty should be awarded on the half way line to the non-offending team. They take the penalty when the other team gets out there.
Yeah this is spot on imo.
It gives the team waiting an advantage that possibly puts them on the front foot and not too extreme that the team scores without opposition.

Is there actually a time limit?