What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm sign Ben Macdougall

Penance

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22755222-23214,00.html

Storm builds its Mac attack

By Brent Read
November 14, 2007
PREMIER Melbourne has tempered the loss of Matt King and swelled the number of MacDougalls in the NRL to three by signing former Scottish rugby union international Ben MacDougall to a one-year contract.
MacDougall, 30, the brother of Newcastle pair Adam and Luke, will begin training with the Storm next week, marking his return to the club he left in 2004 to switch codes.
He spent three years in Scotland, playing with Edinburgh and Borders, winning two Test caps and squaring off against Jonah Lomu and Jonny Wilkinson.
Midway through last year MacDougall returned to Australia and went close to signing a short-term contract with the Knights, only for the NRL to intervene on salary cap grounds.
MacDougall was contemplating a return to England to play with Harlequins in Super League but that deal fell through. He was then thrown a lifeline by Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy.

Bellamy was on the look-out for depth in the outside backs following King's decision to join English club Warrington.
"I spoke to Craig when Matt King left," MacDougall said.
"We spoke about the possibility of me returning next year. He got back to me a couple of weeks later and we made an arrangement.
"It's going to be a challenge. The advantage for me is I know the systems."
Not surprisingly, the barbs are already flying among the MacDougall clan. Both Adam and Luke play with Newcastle and the sides meet in round nine.
"The banter has already started," Ben said. "They're both injured at the moment, so I already have a head start."
Meanwhile, Canberra will hold contract talks with Todd Carney next month after securing captain Alan Tongue until the end of 2010.
Carney, who comes off contract at the end of next season, is highly regarded by a number of coaches.
Tongue, who doesn't have a manager, negotiated his own deal.
"A lot of contract negotiations are dictated by managers and it can push the boundaries of loyalty," Canberra coach Neil Henry said.
"He has shown some loyalty to the club he came to out of high school, and the club has stuck by him, too - it's a two-way street.
"He's been involved with the club for a long time now, he's been given an opportunity to develop his football and he acknowledges that. He wants to stay here and finish as a one-club man."

Spike

First Grade
cheap and nasty. I don't think playing union in Scotland is going to make him any better a player than he was before he left.

innsaneink

Referee
Storm have a habit of turning duds into diamonds, they'll have their work cut out here though.

That said, if you were a player looking to resurrect a career, Melbournes the place to go if youre lucky enough to snare a spot..

dubby

Bench
Geez. Another McDougal; another over rated hack.

I bet he is as succcessful as Rua was this year.

macavity

Referee
how quickly they forget

whilst Adam wasn't great last year (particularly in defence) he was one of the best wingers in the game from about 97-03, and played almost a lone hand for Souths while they were shyte.

he also pwned Sailor every time they played.

Ben and Luke im not sold on, but at least Luke has done something.....

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
I guess the loss of Peter O'Sullivan is already hitting home.

Why on earth you'd sign Ben MacDougall, the least talented of all 3. Not that there is much talent there at all these days, is beyond me.

tiger_nick

Bench
macavity said:
how quickly they forget

whilst Adam wasn't great last year (particularly in defence) he was one of the best wingers in the game from about 97-03, and played almost a lone hand for Souths while they were shyte.

he also pwned Sailor every time they played.

Ben and Luke im not sold on, but at least Luke has done something.....

mate i reckon i'd go alright on the wing if i got to use steroids aswell.

LESStar58

Referee
OK, I actually quite enjoyed having Ben at the club in 04 but FFS, why sign him?

Will Chambers is waiting in the wings. It's simple:

Centres: Folau & Quinn
Wingers: Chambers & Turner

Bench: Geyer

Go with a little gem that O'Sullivan unearthed in Chambers. POS signed him up and that says something. Give him a run. For mine MacDougal will be playing QLD cup/PL m,ost of the year!

philstorm

Juniors
Nothing wrong with some depth. For all his flaws, Chris Walker provided some good depth when he played for us. MacDougall should play a similar role during Origin.