What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

storm vs dragons

MsStorm

Bench
Two good teams battling for defence supremecy was the story for most of the game, with Storm good enough in the 2nd half to win the game.

But it was just as much fun off field sitting next to some nice Dragons supporters who tried to outwit and upstage us all day.

Play The Ball

Juniors
The pleasing thing, we are not at full strength, we have improvement left.

White, Hoffman, Manu will add so much to the pack,

And it is almost like Inglis is out injured at the moment and we are playing his replacement, he will get better when he regains his full fitness.

Mantle

Juniors
Great win, I thought Tolman was again our best forward, he just continues to impress me. Our attack is coming along nicely and am sure Inglis will keep getting better as the season goes along.

Finch had a strong running game and Coops was good again. We can only get better when Manu and Hoffman come back and for Stanley to get back from injury and form a combination with Nielsen.

Dan70

Juniors
Great win, I thought Tolman was again our best forward, he just continues to impress me. Our attack is coming along nicely and am sure Inglis will keep getting better as the season goes along.

Finch had a strong running game and Coops was good again. We can only get better when Manu and Hoffman come back and for Stanley to get back from injury and form a combination with Nielsen.

Agree with your regarding Tolman. Has to be a chance for NSW huh?

Not sure Stanley will get a chance until Origin seeing as MacDougall is going so well.

grandorient

Bench
Playing you sh*t merkins helps too.

C'mon Carnifex,

You can't mean that, I thought the Saints were your second favourite team :lol:

I thought it was in fact, an excellent tough match; Storm were just too good on the day, and for that I offer my congrats on a great win.

On current form, I still believe that the Storm and Saints are head and shoulders over the remainder of the competition. Yesterday, Storm would have beaten anyone opposed to them.

GO

Play The Ball

Juniors
Appologies, please don't let my facts upset you:). Yep, Melbourne is here to stay, you got that correct. It's just a shame the NRL have had to do what they had to do to keep them as a viable entity.

Big Norm

As long as the salary cap is the same, why does it matter where the money comes from , there would be no Sydney swans or Brisbane Lions without financial assistance either , you never hear a single complaint about that in Melbourne,and Brisbane won successive flags.

And you can bet there would be no complaints in Sydney about the storms , if they were not so succesfull , the more we hear it, the more it just sounds like sour grapes.

Carnifex

Juniors
C'mon Carnifex,

You can't mean that, I thought the Saints were your second favourite team :lol:

I thought it was in fact, an excellent tough match; Storm were just too good on the day, and for that I offer my congrats on a great win.

On current form, I still believe that the Storm and Saints are head and shoulders over the remainder of the competition. Yesterday, Storm would have beaten anyone opposed to them.

GO

:lol: my second team is anyone who plays the dragons. ;-)

LESStar58

Referee
I was getting a bit toey during that first half and it was bordering on tedious but you have to marvel at the defensive effort of both teams! Phenomenal stuff and what a great crowd! Pity it wasn't at AAMI Park!

I was getting a bit toey during that first half and it was bordering on tedious but you have to marvel at the defensive effort of both teams! Phenomenal stuff and what a great crowd! Pity it wasn't at AAMI Park!

Hopefully not camel toey !!...:lol:

Goddo

Bench
The difference was melbourne's exicution and pressuring the Dragons into errors and penalties around the ruck... Unlike previous weeks with +90% completion rate, St George were their own worst enemies, giving away little penalties late in a tackle count, and dropping the ball early.

Just like the Storm v Dragons game at Jubilee last year, it was a tough arm wrestle, and the final score didn't reflect how close and classy a game it was. I was salivating for more by the end, the footy was that good the score really didn't bother me.

As a Dragons fan though, I am getting very sick of seeing the exact same passing movement down the left side. Been using it for 12 months now, it will beat weak teams but not the good ones.

Since the Storm said they would use a sliding defence to shut us out, I was hoping we would use some of the bigger lads in the middle of the park with good passing games (Young, Prior, Pridis), short balls to second Rowers (Smith and Creagh), a more creative kicking game or push the ball right. The Dragons did these things a few times and they looked dangerous moving right or towards the posts a couple of times, only to make an error.

The first and third storm tries were very similar, with a playmaker running at Matt Cooper with a loose carry and threatening a step or long ball to the winger to pop it up. I bet Coops will be a bit pissed he was beaten twice the same way. And that was it. Those two very similar tries through the same defence hole was really the only difference between the two sides. Great footy.

Every other game so far this weekend has been pathetic in comparison though.

Last edited:
The difference was melbourne's exicution and pressuring the Dragons into errors and penalties around the ruck... Unlike previous weeks with +90% completion rate, St George were their own worst enemies, giving away little penalties late in a tackle count, and dropping the ball early.

Just like the Storm v Dragons game at Jubilee last year, it was a tough arm wrestle, and the final score didn't reflect how close and classy a game it was. I was salivating for more by the end, the footy was that good the score really didn't bother me.

As a Dragons fan though, I am getting very sick of seeing the exact same passing movement down the right side. Been using it for 12 months now, it will beat weak teams but not the good ones.

Since the Storm said they would use a sliding defence to shut us out, I was hoping we would use some of the bigger lads in the middle of the park with good passing games (Young, Prior, Pridis), short balls to second Rowers (Smith and Creagh), a more creative kicking game or push the ball right. The Dragons did these things a few times and they looked dangerous moving right or towards the posts a couple of times, only to make an error.

The first and third storm tries were very similar, with a playmaker running at Matt Cooper with a loose carry and threatening a step or long ball to the winger to pop it up. I bet Coops will be a bit pissed he was beaten twice the same way. And that was it. Those two very similar tries through the same defence hole was really the only difference between the two sides. Great footy.

Every other game so far this weekend has been pathetic in comparison though.

Great summary...agree with the fact that Soward simply targetted the right side every attacking opportunity and it got very predictable.

The Dragons need to mix it up or else they are going to get an early exit from the finals again. They also need to inject Boyd into the play more...he is hardly used and when he does get involved tries will follow.

Goddo

Bench
St George are really missing Fien. He makes mistakes and often looks to the wrong play, but he isn't afraid to put in a grubber kick, or chip kick or something while running at the line. Honrby, Soward and Boyd all seem to stand off and are very structured in attack. I really don't think this suits Soward, who is at his best when he is using his speed.

What the Dragons need is to create a bit of chaos in attack, We have arguably the best back 3 in the game, and Sowie is fast so broken play suits us in attack. Too structured. Will beat most teams with discipline and controlled plays, but will struggle against the good defencive sides like the Storm.

Something more than the usual left side Pridis>Hornby, Creagh decoy runner>Boyd, Cooper decoy runner> Morris try.

Or on the right Pridis>Soward long cut out ball or chip kick>Nightingale try.

Last edited:

Latest posts