What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange email

madeline

Juniors
I received a strange email today from a Mr Dike AHMED URGING ME TO GIVE HIM MY BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER ( SURE!! no sweat )
He also wants a contact number and my address ( anything else I can help you with I thought) ;-)

The story goes like this a wealthy business man died and didn't leave a will so I was the lucky one out of billions of people in the world to share in this jackpot :lol:

The money is in a South African bank account and they need this information so they can transfer the funds into my account 53% for Dickie boy and the rest is mine =P~

Lucky eh!

O, I fogot its 50 million dollars.

Gene Krupa

Referee
I inhereted 18.4 million pounds the other day.

And won 26.7 euro in a lottery.

And had a Nigerian bank clerk offer me 20% of $9.7 million US.

And ..............................

roopy

Referee
Apparently someone has made it public knowledge on the net that I have a small penis, am obese, and can't get a date.
Luckily, there are many kind people out there who wish to help me with these problems - and email me daily to offer assistance.

Gene Krupa

Referee
I get those ones too.

Plus the ones saying they've seen my pic on the net and think I'm hot! :roll:

Plus alot about buying prescription meds, without a prescription! :?

the_knights_rule

First Grade
i got a letter delivered to my house address from hong kong saying i had won 100 million dollars .... if only!!
it had a sheet asking me to put my bank account details in and send it back to them so they could deposit the money in.
i wonder how many people fall for it

Misanthrope

Staff member
I once got one of those emails about penis extensions.

It said:

Inches_72! For just $14.99 you can have a 12" penis!

I replied "Why would I pay you fifteen bucks to lop six inches off?"

Alas, the bot that mailed me didn't see the funny side

PrideKnight

Bench
medievilknight said:
SURELY no-one could be THAT gullible :roll:

alas people do

but its not gullibility, its trust, or desperation, and despite those definate hoax ones there are genuine people who ask for your account number simply because they need an australian account to recieve funds into so you can forward it on here or overseas.

The upside? you get to keep a percentage of what goes through...

The downside? When the federal police tracking the laundered/embezzled/terrorist activity money catch it...who takes the fall??

madeline

Juniors
Well the name AHMED for some strange reason made me think terrorist don't know why, some guy just got jail for receiving money from Al Quada (spelling?????) I'm not that desperate for money.

madeline

Juniors
CWBush said:
I once got one of those emails about penis extensions.

It said:

Inches_72! For just $14.99 you can have a 12" penis!

I replied "Why would I pay you fifteen bucks to lop six inches off?"

Alas, the bot that mailed me didn't see the funny side

:lol: :lol:

strewth_mate

Bench
According to these things, my girlfriend discovered she is impotent. I don't know whether to be supportive or run away screaming, possibly while incinerating my clothes in the process.

Johns-All-Day

Juniors
PrideKnight said:
alas people do

but its not gullibility, its trust, or desperation, and despite those definate hoax ones there are genuine people who ask for your account number simply because they need an australian account to recieve funds into so you can forward it on here or overseas.

The upside? you get to keep a percentage of what goes through...

The downside? When the federal police tracking the laundered/embezzled/terrorist activity money catch it...who takes the fall??
This happened to a very close friend of mine in December, and she's not a gullible girl. She's actually one of the smartest people I know. She applied for a nanny position and got it ... but the first 'task' was to accept a few thousand $$$ into her bank account and then forward it on. She got to keep $600 ... but she now owes the bank thousands. It pretty much destroyed her life ... she was so humiliated for falling for it, that she moved 12 hours away so she doesn't have to face anyone.

Misanthrope

Staff member
See, I'm so cynical now that I could never fall for something like that. On the downside, I also struggle to trust people in general...

IanG

Coach
They wouldn't be doing it if there weren't people out there who fall for it. I'm pretty sure that Scotland Yard arrested quite a few people in London recently over it? But yeah it's one of those things that if it sounds too good to be true it is. In fact I recetly heard a story where a woman was phoned up saying she'd won a trip the the states with a heap of stuff included. The catch was it didn't include airfares so they had to send credit card info in order to claim the alledged prize.

Razor

Coach
The was actually a job on Seek advertised that was simialr to this. The full details weren't in the ad, but when I put in an epxression of interest they replied with the details. Seek did send an email several days later informing people that the ad had been removed and for people not to accept the proposal.

The story was - They were jewellery sellers based in NZ. When people overseas purchased jewellery from them, the sellers had to deposit the money into my bank account. I then had to transfer that money to this account in NZ. I got to keep 35%.

When they replied with the details I ignored it because I knew it was crap, and it was one of 2 things - just a ploy to get my bank details to empty my account(not that there was anything in it anyway) or they were involved in money laundering.

They wouldn't be doing it if there weren't people out there who fall for it. I'm pretty sure that Scotland Yard arrested quite a few people in London recently over it?

Yes I read something several months back about many very intelligent people - doctors, lawyers, etc - falling for the Nigerian scam. They cracked a group who had the details of these people - not many reported it. Probably because they could face charges themselves or for career ruin.