What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strategy

yy_cheng

Coach
I have noticed that over the last few weeks, we have played a tighter attacking game.

i.e. more finals like footy.

Only later towards the first half, we start offloading.

I think this is leading to our downfall especially against a bigger and fitter and more disciplined pack.

Against the panthers, I thought our forwards were outplayed in the first half and only Penrith's lack of discipline and fitness led to us being on top in the first half.

In the second half, we started our offloading and we kicked into gear. But this is against a big tiring forward pack.

The drags are a big, fit and disciplined pack. And they killed us as we cannot match them in the battle of the ground.

Although I believe that defense wins games, our offloads also throws the opposition in 2 minds in defense.

We should more or less start our expansive game earlier in the game.

That's how the tigers play and that's how we should play.

The tigers play their natural way from the get go. We have changed our game plan recently and I believe it is for the sake of Finals footy.

Just my observation.

Comments?

jono

Juniors
Sorry to be blunt but the strategy should be BEAT THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF WHOEVER WE PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Sorry still in stunned sh*tty mode from last night)

Kornstar

Coach
We cannot match any forward pack of the teams above us in the 8 imo. They are all bigger and better.

The only chance we have is playing the Tigers style.

yy_cheng

Coach
We cannot match any forward pack of the teams above us in the 8 imo. They are all bigger and better.

The only chance we have is playing the Tigers style.

It is what I think too. It is the way of the warrior. I mean't this current batch of eels.

We cannot grind games out. Our Feleti looked good because he was playing his natural game.

But has others noticed in the 1st half in the last 3 matches, Tiges, Panthers, Drags that we are trying to grind the start? It makes sense, but it is not for this pack.

yy_cheng

Coach
because we are getting out muscled.

When you are thinking offload, you think differently.

Kornstar

Coach
I will never understand why we try and match forward packs, we simply cannot do it, we are terrible at it.

We have no size and we should play accordingly!

Next year should be a different story though, we may actually be able to match some of the better teams

lingard

Coach
I have noticed that over the last few weeks, we have played a tighter attacking game.

i.e. more finals like footy.

Only later towards the first half, we start offloading.

I think this is leading to our downfall especially against a bigger and fitter and more disciplined pack.

Against the panthers, I thought our forwards were outplayed in the first half and only Penrith's lack of discipline and fitness led to us being on top in the first half.

In the second half, we started our offloading and we kicked into gear. But this is against a big tiring forward pack.

The drags are a big, fit and disciplined pack. And they killed us as we cannot match them in the battle of the ground.

Although I believe that defense wins games, our offloads also throws the opposition in 2 minds in defense.

We should more or less start our expansive game earlier in the game.

That's how the tigers play and that's how we should play.

The tigers play their natural way from the get go. We have changed our game plan recently and I believe it is for the sake of Finals footy.

Just my observation.

Comments?

I reckon that makes a hell of a lot of sense. Admittedly last night Parra was on the back foot from the start with a couple of diabolical refereeing decisions, but I think youre right. Next week might see a return to our offloading best. Don't forget Hindmarsh plays a critical part in initiating a lot of our off-loading sorties.
By the way, Warren Ryan was really going on last night about how unfair a lot of the ref's calls were.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
the Dragons set plays are so obvious, it makes me sick watching it.

Feel the exact same way. You just new that Ben Creagh was going to score that try, you just new it.

As for our style of play, yeah we arent throwing offloads in the opening exchanges but thats a good thing. You have to earn the right first and thats what we are doing early in our matches.

mickdo

Coach
As for our style of play, yeah we arent throwing offloads in the opening exchanges but thats a good thing. You have to earn the right first and thats what we are doing early in our matches.

Earn the right? That doesn't make sense... it's how we make our metres!

Gronk

Staff member
Earn the right? That doesn't make sense... it's how we make our metres!

Wrong. We make our meters by completing our sets, followed by a good kick and chase. You have to grind it out and take the opportunities when they arise, but not when you are making error after error.

On Friday night their completion rate was 100% after 30 mins, however ours was 60% and we gave away 3 penalties. With a 65% possession against us the game was over.

You can talk about off loads all day, but if you're not completing your sets and getting the ball down he park with a good chase you might as well concede the game.

mickybolg

Juniors
The problem is we didnt defend or show the necessary urgency of previous weeks because we didnt have to win for the first time in 2 months.Hopefully that will change with a sudden death game this week..

Freak2

Juniors
I think to beat the Dragons offloads and 2nd phase play will not be as important as quick play the balls and plenty of running from dummy half.

I would seriously consider changing up our standard player rotation and play Kev in 2 time periods at the end of each half. His metres from dummy half will be invaluable this week and he has Keats covered in this critical component of the game.

We also need to get Jarryd one on one against Soward. The Storm did this perfectly with Inglis to great effect.

In defence we MUST win the ruck and this is where the game will be run and won. If they get on top they have the weapons on the edge of the ruck in Morris and Creagh that will score points. If we can slow the game down this will allow our big up and in defence to kill off the fringe but will open up the opportunity for the Soward long ball. If they still beat us with that than so be it.

Finally Burt has to bring his A game. Conversions may be the difference and with Soward kicking at over 80% Burty needs to make every conversion count.

Many individual battles need to be won but the bookends are key!!

Can't wait

The Fish

Juniors
First post so hello to all, lifetime fan and really praying we turn it around Sunday. From my perspective the main reason Dragons got the upper hand was because their kick chase was superb. They targeted Luke Burt with deep cross field kicks and knowing that if they could get to him quickly they could stop our go forward, most importantly when HAyne received the ball the defense was already converged on him making it almost impossible for him to make any defining impact on the game. My proposal, switch sides with Burt and Grothe this week to throw the Dragons out of rhythm. The Dragons will no doubt target that same crossfield kick to Burt and if Grothe is there in place they will have to totally switch their strategy on game time and this should unsettle them. If they do happen to kick to Grothe due to this postional switch he has the power to bend back the defense and give us that roll on we need. One positive from last Friday was Mateo, sure we got belted but it was impossible to miss his input. We get Hindy back this week, we will stand proud on Sunday. I have faith, go you eels!

Latest posts