What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strike 2 to Hook ?

Dragon David

First Grade
Again respectfully, considering De Belin as captain is a significant and serious issue (IF TRUE). What does that say about judgement? But I do agree with you that leaking is an issue IF that is going on.

Can this season from hell end now!!! I just did not see this train wreck unfolding as it has. I was so euphoric with the sacking of McGregor that I never contemplated a 2021 disaster of this magnitude.
Mary came back to haunt us this year and put a hex on us for sacking him. At least with Mary you knew what the end result was going to be for each year but coming into this year when hopes were high for a much improved season not many would have thought it would turn out like this. So yes, goodbye 2001 and hopefully 2022 will be better (we always keep hoping for this but never seems to happen).

Dragon David

First Grade
I feel sorry for Sims in all this as he should have been the 1st choice after Hunt no questions asked. How McCullough got ahead of him and now possibly De Belin is terrible. Sims plays with heart and is a perfect fit as captain. Hooks decisions are worse than Mary's were and that is really hard to achieve but Hook managed to do it.
Hook has become somewhat of a desperate man, but we still need to see what happens most of next year before final judgement is made.

Absolutely Sims should have been given captaincy before Macca. Sims has been more a Dragon man than both Hunt and Macca. We need more local boys to be captain of the team not guys from outside in my opinion.

BLM01

First Grade
Probably Webby but interesting that he has any control over this so perhaps Elliott or Gentle ? More importantly how did this info get out ? Hook getting white anted by some already or is this just absolute bullshit by Cammas ? He clearly reads this forum.
Exactly who rang Chammas or offered sone info on Monday when he reported knowledge of some inside info like Amone was starting at 6

BLM01

First Grade
N
I feel sorry for Sims in all this as he should have been the 1st choice after Hunt no questions asked. How McCullough got ahead of him and now possibly De Belin is terrible. Sims plays with heart and is a perfect fit as captain. Hooks decisions are worse than Mary's were and that is really hard to achieve but Hook managed to do it.
Maybe Tariq is a reluctant captain and did not want the added stuff that goes with it

To me, from about 2016 onwards De Belin was basically the captain of the forwards, our leader of the pack.

He can (should) still play that role into next year and doesn’t need a (c) against this name to lead this team.

When he led the pack, it performed. His absence in the last 2 years has been devastating for the clubs performance IMO. Apart from maybe Tariq and Mcinnes, all our forwards have declined since 2019 (not including Lawrie who was a Bub then..)

But as for the story… it’s more likely to me that a question was asked to dragons management could de Belin captain in the absence of Hunt. Answer was no, move on… nothing more to it.

Last edited:

BBTB

Juniors
To me, from about 2016 onwards De Belin was basically the captain of the forwards, our leader of the pack.

He can (should) still play that role into next year and doesn’t need a (c) again this name to lead this team.

When he lead the pack, it performed. His absence in the last 2 years has been devastating for the clubs performance IMO. Apart from maybe Tariq and Mcinnes, all our forwards have declined since 2019 (not including Lawrie)

But as for the story… it’s more likely to me that a question was asked to dragons management could de Belin captain in the absence of Hunt. Answer was no, move on… nothing more to it.
A bit to soon,for JDB.
THEY COULDN'T PROVE HIM GUILTY.
Which means he's innocent.
Get on with it.

redv13

Bench
Sims is the correct call but I would have zero problem with JDB. Can’t upset the PC brigade now can we these days. JDB puts 100% effort in every minute of every game. Always busting his guts, revving up the boys and trying to drag them along. Exactly what a captain should do!!

I'm Hornby

Juniors
The notion that JDB somehow isn't worthy of an on field leadership position is ridiculous.

I'm dumb founded that the presumption of innocence is a thing of the past now it seems. Going to the BBQ was a mistake but there were 11 other guys who made the same mistake so why should Jack be crucified for it?

Funny how the media and NRL old boys weren't holding Mitchell Pearce to the same standard as captain of the Knights for the plethora of off field incidents on his part, short memories or maybe just mates with his old man?

be55

Juniors
What were you thinking, Hook?!
There's only one clear and obvious choice for the captaincy
View attachment 52501

team america vomit GIF

SET2JT

Juniors
Don't understand all the hate against the Dragons. All JDB did was go to the Bbq. I bet in the same situation Loz would have gone to the bbq if Mal was hosting it back in his day.
What Appi, Jai, Dugan and the 5 Bulldogs players did was way worse then our Bbq but PV got 10 times the punishment. Our club for whatever the reason has been smashed by the NRL for the last 3 years.

SBD82

Coach
Sims is the correct call but I would have zero problem with JDB. Can’t upset the PC brigade now can we these days. JDB puts 100% effort in every minute of every game. Always busting his guts, revving up the boys and trying to drag them along. Exactly what a captain should do!!
That darn PC brigade and their anti-rape agenda.

It’s cultural Marxism I tells ya.

denis preston

First Grade
Whether we like it or not De Belin is a senior player & if his name was mentioned in the conversation for captain it is imo understandable. Anyway he’s not so why all the fuss.
My choices were Sims or Bird anyway.
I just don't think he is captain material and the extra burden of having to think will see him playing with massive migraines ! Agree Simms good choice & Bird as well , daylight third.

Draginzaaar

Bench
The notion that JDB somehow isn't worthy of an on field leadership position is ridiculous.

I'm dumb founded that the presumption of innocence is a thing of the past now it seems. Going to the BBQ was a mistake but there were 11 other guys who made the same mistake so why should Jack be crucified for it?

Funny how the media and NRL old boys weren't holding Mitchell Pearce to the same standard as captain of the Knights for the plethora of off field incidents on his part, short memories or maybe just mates with his old man?
Maybe because he hid from Police then lied to the Club about the dog walking. Yep, great Captain.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Don't understand all the hate against the Dragons. All JDB did was go to the Bbq. I bet in the same situation Loz would have gone to the bbq if Mal was hosting it back in his day.
What Appi, Jai, Dugan and the 5 Bulldogs players did was way worse then our Bbq but PV got 10 times the punishment. Our club for whatever the reason has been smashed by the NRL for the last 3 years.
Yeah, Nah.

Walpole

Juniors
Not in a million years should DeBelin ever be captain of the Dragons. There's more things to consider than whether a bloke's a good player. IF this was ever contemplated by the coach there's obviously at least one insider who had an issue with it.

Illusion

Bench
Not in a million years should DeBelin ever be captain of the Dragons. There's more things to consider than whether a bloke's a good player. IF this was ever contemplated by the coach there's obviously at least one insider who had an issue with it.
When the guy has to hide under the bed .... it shows me he ain't no leader ....

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors

Hmmm, where to start?

i. De Belin can have an on field leadership role without being made captain. He will never be captain of this club.
ii. Does De Belin want to be captain? I would have thought not.
iii. The presumption of innocence is not a thing of the past. Alongside (a) trial by a jury of the accused peers and (b) burden of proof being beyond reasonable doubt; it is one of the tripartite pillars of our criminal justice system.
iv. Within 6 weeks of his second hung jury (read that as a number of jurors on both trial thought he was guilty, but it was not unanimous). He scraped out by the skin of his teeth.
Anyway very soon after the 2nd trial, and after more than two years of the club's support, he goes to a function that is well off-limits, hides under the bed when police arrive, lies to the club about the events etc.
v. Who cares what Mitchell Pearce did. This is our club and it is in need of a serious cultural and behavioural rebuild.
vi. I wish De Belin all the best. He has faced a harrowing ordeal, ALL OF HIS OWN MAKING. He has the right to rebuild his life, learn the lessons and to grow into a good citizen; but not as captain of this club.

A captain MUST be a person of decent character and must show leadership traits. De Belin had a chance to walk into the BBQ and show leadership and state "fellows this is not on, we have to go home now". Apparently he did not do that. Since the end of 2018 I cannot find many examples of De Belin having displayed either good character of judgement; and yet he should be considered as captain???

Latest posts