What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strike 2 to Hook ?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hook: Here is a list of names that could be 'considered' as captain for the game against the Roosters and for the rest of the season:

Bird
Norman
Lomax
DeBelin
Maguire
Sims

Haran/Webb or whoever: Bird, Norman, Lomax, DeBelin and Maguire all attended the BBQ. So, Sims is the right choice.

Hook: Ok, Sims it is.

The word 'considered' can be so misconstrued, especially from journos getting fed info. Why not focus on Lomax, a future captain of this club? Or Bird, the returning junior star?
Headlines are gold for journos, getting reactions, like we see on this thread has achieved the required result.

Imo, Sims was always going to be the captain and those 'considered' were only presented as options.

Now, think if Sims is injured or suspended after the Roosters game. Who would be next to be 'considered' given all attended the BBQ and gave varying tales of their appearance there?
We've lost 2 (3 if you count McInnes) captains this year, ther's no guarantee we won't lose another (pray we don't).

So, who would be the next captain to be 'considered'?

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Hook: Here is a list of names that could be 'considered' as captain for the game against the Roosters and for the rest of the season:

Bird
Norman
Lomax
DeBelin
Maguire
Sims

Haran/Webb or whoever: Bird, Norman, Lomax, DeBelin and Maguire all attended the BBQ. So, Sims is the right choice.

The word 'considered' can be so misconstrued, especially from journos getting fed info. Why not focus on Lomax, a future captain of this club? Or Bird, the returning junior star?
Headlines are gold for journos, getting reactions, like we see on this thread has achieved the required result.

Imo, Sims was always going to be the captain and those 'considered' were only presented as options.

Now, think if Sims is injured or suspended after the Roosters game. Who would be next to be 'considered' given all attended the BBQ and gave varying tales of their appearance there?
We've lost 2 (3 if you count McInnes) captains this year, ther's no guarantee we won't lose another (pray we don't).

Sorry mate, De Belin is not even an option for consideration. Never. This is why this club is in such a dire position. An absence of clarity in the thought processes. People in positions of power at our club making ridiculous decisions, or even wasting time considering ridiculous decisions.

And IF he ever became captain, good luck ringing the sponsors! And before people jump up and down and state that the sponsors should have no input in such a matter...that is well off the mark.

It could all be beat up, and probably is but if I was on the BOD and De Belin's name came up for consideration I would kindly ask those who would propose such lunacy to consider having a psychiatric assessment AFTER they've tendered their resignation.

True_Believer

Juniors

Bird
Norman
Lomax
DeBelin
Maguire
Sims

If you are going to discount JDB because of the BBQ then Bird, Norman, Lomax and Maguire need to disregarded as well.

Sims is all that is left. If Sims was unavailable, I'd be considering JDB.

The thing we also need to consider is whether there is respect from within the team for JDB. If they respect him as a leader, irrespective of the court case or BBQ incident, he should be considered given he is a senior member of the team.

Reading the article and some of the comments in here, the court case still holds sway on some peoples opinions despite the outcome.

be55

Juniors
My take on all of this...

I personally think it's a strange decision to have made in regards to Jack being given the captaincy...I notice a lot of people bringing up the court case, which i think is completely irrelevant in all of this. Jack, just like every other citizen, had the right to a presumption of innocence. He went through due process in regards to the allegations, and a guilty verdict couldn't be established. Jack is therefore seen as an innocent man. He is afforded that right because he wasn't found guilty of anything.
I think the club come at it from the point that, 6 weeks ago Jack went scurrying under a bed to avoid police at a bbq get together of players, that was in blatant disregard of the clubs directive, and a complete flouting of public health orders.
I think the club would have been wary of Jack fronting the media as captain, and having a question put to him, something along the lines of "So Jack...you've come a long way in 6 weeks...from hiding under a bed at Paul Vaughan's place to being given the honour of the captaincy of this proud club...do you think you deserve it? I think that's why the club stepped in. To protect the brand, and to make sure sponsors remained onside. I can understand this position.

be55

Juniors
I think the real problem is where the leak came from. You would have to think it would have come from someone in a position of power, perhaps at board level, that wanted to paint Hook in a bad light. Maybe Hook has ruffled a few feathers at the club in his 12 months in charge. Going by my count this is the third time that the board has put the kibosh on plans that Hook had made...
Hook wanted to sign Israel Folau and the club stepped in, it was also reported by some in the media that Hook wanted to re-sign Corey Norman and the club said "No", and now finally you have this report (if true) of the club once again over ruling him.

Maybe someone at the club has an axe to grind...just putting it out there.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
"So Jack...you've come a long way in 6 weeks...from hiding under a bed at Paul Vaughan's place to being given the honour of the captaincy of this proud club...do you think you deserve it?
Gold! I know it’s a serious topic but this just broke me up…

Mjab

Juniors
ALL BBQ gate boys should be off limit for this year as it may have cost us a spot in the 8 , maybe not?

Not sure who gets it if Simms is injured or on bench resting though

Hunt isnt a local but with the responsibility of captaincy he has seemed to have his best year for a while so Im not fussed hes not a local , It was a good decision by Hook

Like everyone, not all of his , or our decisions are good or correct.

To me this is mainly a beat up in media and obviously someone leaked it re JDB

Maybe Mary heard about it while he was repainting the change rooms

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Hmmm, where to start?

i. De Belin can have an on field leadership role without being made captain. He will never be captain of this club.
ii. Does De Belin want to be captain? I would have thought not.
iii. The presumption of innocence is not a thing of the past. Alongside (a) trial by a jury of the accused peers and (b) burden of proof being beyond reasonable doubt; it is one of the tripartite pillars of our criminal justice system.
iv. Within 6 weeks of his second hung jury (read that as a number of jurors on both trial thought he was guilty, but it was not unanimous). He scraped out by the skin of his teeth.
Anyway very soon after the 2nd trial, and after more than two years of the club's support, he goes to a function that is well off-limits, hides under the bed when police arrive, lies to the club about the events etc.
v. Who cares what Mitchell Pearce did. This is our club and it is in need of a serious cultural and behavioural rebuild.
vi. I wish De Belin all the best. He has faced a harrowing ordeal, ALL OF HIS OWN MAKING. He has the right to rebuild his life, learn the lessons and to grow into a good citizen; but not as captain of this club.

A captain MUST be a person of decent character and must show leadership traits. De Belin had a chance to walk into the BBQ and show leadership and state "fellows this is not on, we have to go home now". Apparently he did not do that. Since the end of 2018 I cannot find many examples of De Belin having displayed either good character of judgement; and yet he should be considered as captain???

So to break down your post, you're saying that you believe JDB does not deserve to ever be captain of our club due to him making mistakes in his past? Is that correct?

I completely disagree and believe that he is still entitled to opportunities that come his way, after all we are human and we all make mistakes.

At the end of the day he is one of our most experienced players and has played the game at the highest level so naturally when we are looking for a THIRD in line to assume captaincy, his name would be thrown in.

I love how you've defended the presumption of innocence but then have undermined Jack's in your next sentence by your purely conjecture based comment on how jurors believed he was guilty! Guess what? There was a hung jury twice which means the evidence was not enough to convince said jury of his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, therefore he is presumed innocent. To undermine that after all has been said and done is very disrespectful in my view.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
If you are going to discount JDB because of the BBQ then Bird, Norman, Lomax and Maguire need to disregarded as well.

Sims is all that is left. If Sims was unavailable, I'd be considering JDB.

The thing we also need to consider is whether there is respect from within the team for JDB. If they respect him as a leader, irrespective of the court case or BBQ incident, he should be considered given he is a senior member of the team.

Reading the article and some of the comments in here, the court case still holds sway on some peoples opinions despite the outcome.

So to break down your post, you're saying that you believe JDB does not deserve to ever be captain of our club due to him making mistakes in his past? Is that correct?
100% correct.
I completely disagree and believe that he is still entitled to opportunities that come his way, after all we are human and we all make mistakes.
I respect your opinion.
At the end of the day he is one of our most experienced players and has played the game at the highest level so naturally when we are looking for a THIRD in line to assume captaincy, his name would be thrown in.
He has not played at the highest level, being international rugby league but I take your point. There is no automatic nexus between playing representative football and being made the captain of a club. I could name you countless examples of past representative stars who have not captained their clubs.
I love how you've defended the presumption of innocence but then have undermined Jack's in your next sentence by your purely conjecture based comment on how jurors believed he was guilty! Guess what? There was a hung jury twice which means the evidence was not enough to convince said jury of his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, therefore he is presumed innocent. To undermine that after all has been said and done is very disrespectful in my view.
Having worked in the law since 1992, I will choose not to respond as you lack the knowledge and experience as to the workings of the criminal justice system.

On another note, I think you have well and truly misread the sentiment in the room regarding De Belin. The backlash from former players/legends of the game about this matter is instructive.

The calm one

Juniors
Thanks for posting, I couldn't get past the paywall.

From an outsider looking in it looks like Hook tried to reward stupidity. If so, it was a distinct lack of judgement but at least some in the club could see this was not a good idea.
Just remember not thing. The article is from a newspaper so believe half of it, remember according to the paper we were chasing second rower from Penrith, turned out to be bullshit. In relation to Norman play half, there is no one else, Clune is not 1st grade standard. In relation to Dufty look at the facts. He has been given a 1 year deal by the team who will get the wooden spoon. No one else showed any interest in him. Dosent that tell you something. Great idea to get rid of him

TruSaint

Referee

Captain Jack​

Jack de Belin was not just considered as captain for the Dragons in Sunday’s clash with the Roosters, he was actually named as skipper on the original team sheet submitted to the NRL on Tuesday. The NRL will not confirm this publicly, but sources with knowledge of the situation have confirmed it.

To be entirely accurate, de Belin was named as co-captain with Jack Bird. It’s mind-blowing that the Dragons would even consider the move. The NRL is becoming increasingly concerned by some of the thinking coming out of the Dragons’ football department, particularly the tone-deaf attitude of coach Anthony Griffin.

The very thought that de Belin could be made skipper of the club shows a significant inability to gauge the mood of the public. The sexual assault charges against de Belin were dropped after two juries could not reach a verdict and everyone deserves a second chance, but he showed he has a long way to go to become the public face of the club when he was found hiding in a bedroom at Paul Vaughan’s house during the infamous Dragons barbecue.

The de Belin revelation follows the football department’s interest earlier in the season in signing Israel Folau.

We also highlighted Griffin’s personal views, as expressed on his social media accounts, in this column last year, although he later said his daughter had been running his accounts.
Griffin made the great choice to appoint Ben Hunt club captain for this season and name Tariq Sims skipper for the match against the Roosters on Sunday in Hunt’s absence. He needs the Dragons to finish this season and start 2022 well because their record of four wins from his past 16 games has been lost in the barbecue-gate fallout.

Griffin has signed plenty of tough guys and the plan to bash and barge their way up the ladder will need to succeed quickly as Griffin has a year left on his deal.

BLM01

First Grade
So Hook denies it and said a group of players were discussed including JDB but not official
SMH at it again.. so no surprises
So who leaked that info to SMH supposedly
Who do we believe.. that is up to you
But I will say this
When will they bring up the fact that Tariq has never wanted the job as a permanent WIWO rep

Captain Jack​

Jack de Belin was not just considered as captain for the Dragons in Sunday’s clash with the Roosters, he was actually named as skipper on the original team sheet submitted to the NRL on Tuesday. The NRL will not confirm this publicly, but sources with knowledge of the situation have confirmed it.

To be entirely accurate, de Belin was named as co-captain with Jack Bird. It’s mind-blowing that the Dragons would even consider the move. The NRL is becoming increasingly concerned by some of the thinking coming out of the Dragons’ football department, particularly the tone-deaf attitude of coach Anthony Griffin.

The very thought that de Belin could be made skipper of the club shows a significant inability to gauge the mood of the public. The sexual assault charges against de Belin were dropped after two juries could not reach a verdict and everyone deserves a second chance, but he showed he has a long way to go to become the public face of the club when he was found hiding in a bedroom at Paul Vaughan’s house during the infamous Dragons barbecue.

The de Belin revelation follows the football department’s interest earlier in the season in signing Israel Folau.

We also highlighted Griffin’s personal views, as expressed on his social media accounts, in this column last year, although he later said his daughter had been running his accounts.
Griffin made the great choice to appoint Ben Hunt club captain for this season and name Tariq Sims skipper for the match against the Roosters on Sunday in Hunt’s absence. He needs the Dragons to finish this season and start 2022 well because their record of four wins from his past 16 games has been lost in the barbecue-gate fallout.

Griffin has signed plenty of tough guys and the plan to bash and barge their way up the ladder will need to succeed quickly as Griffin has a year left on his deal.

Posting articles by this grub shouldn’t be permitted.

Latest posts