What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strong Rumour

Grantwhy

Juniors
ozbash said:
I know for the Australian players, their clubs can't rule them injured and unable to play International matches

well they can with kiwis playing in aussie clubs,, ie, matty utai, tony puletua, joe guluvao..

oh thats right,,, the aussies make the rules :roll:

As best as I can understand it, that is not a NRL rule but an ARL rule.

Just what power the ARL has over the clubs I'm not sure, but it would be up to the NZRL to try and get a similar rule in place for NZ players?

ps: the Poms (i think) have a similar problem where the Clubs sometimes rule (UK) players injured/unavailable for Test duties.

Iafeta

Referee
NZ Warrior said:
I fully agree with Hoe dog, and I don't see how Hoe is being paranoid, he is just calling you people for what you are. Personally, I would have called you a bunch of whinging hippies.

Down with management, man!!! Come on, give me a break. :roll:

Oh how quickly you all forget it was Mic & co. who pulled off the masterstroke of signing Price then Wiki. Management will keep on getting rid of the unwanted until this team becomes a competitive machine. It's just a hangover from last season.

I feel Management have another plan up their sleeves, so I wouldn't keep crying about it if I were some of you.

Whats that plan Warrior?

Another signing?

The only player they can get NOW is a player out of contract and in most cases either not wanted or in retirement.

If they had a plan up their sleeve so to speak as in to replace Vinnie Anderson, he was going at the end of this year anyway so they could have used the room under the cap for next year.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
And with Vinnie gone a whole season of Toopi looks worryingly likely.
:lol:

Actually, there's your answer right there. Clinton Toopi is the mastermind behind this whole thing - he organised the whole axing of Vinnie in a bid to get some guaranteed game time.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
LeagueNut said:
Thierry Henry said:

Actually, there's your answer right there. Clinton Toopi is the mastermind behind this whole thing - he organised the whole axing of Vinnie in a bid to get some guaranteed game time.
If Toopi didn't improve ths season, I wouldn't have wanted Vinnie replacing him anyway. The guy is NOT a centre.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Last year did little more than illustrate how true the old cliche is about the front-office needing to be right. Maybe some people are being drama queens about things, then again, maybe some of those people grasp the above-mentioned concept better than some other people.

I dont think anyone could disagree that this latest incident has brought alot of negative publicity to the club. We do well this season, its no big deal, its forgotten about. We dont & it becomes one of many nails in Mick Watson's coffin, maybe the last nail.
I could be wrong, but I dont see him surviving 2005 if the club misses the 8. He is the John Mitchell of rugby league PR. Remember one of the main reasons that guy got dumped?

Skinner

Coach
Auckland4ever said:
Last year did little more than illustrate how true the old cliche is about the front-office needing to be right. Maybe some people are being drama queens about things, then again, maybe some of those people grasp the above-mentioned concept better than some other people.

I dont think anyone could disagree that this latest incident has brought alot of negative publicity to the club. We do well this season, its no big deal, its forgotten about. We dont & it becomes one of many nails in Mick Watson's coffin, maybe the last nail.
I could be wrong, but I dont see him surviving 2005 if the club misses the 8. He is the John Mitchell of rugby league PR. Remember one of the main reasons that guy got dumped?

Mate, a pretty good summary that (as usual) echoes my own thoughts.

The jury is still out....but they will be returning before the end of the
season to deliver their vedict.

Cheers
Skinner

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Auckland4ever said:

Very well said. The public will forgive arrogance when your decisions turn out to be right (hell, they'll even say you had a right to be arrogant because you obviously knew best) however if things don't go well, look out. Watson is under big pressure to deliver.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Iafeta said:
NZ Warrior said:
I fully agree with Hoe dog, and I don't see how Hoe is being paranoid, he is just calling you people for what you are. Personally, I would have called you a bunch of whinging hippies.

Down with management, man!!! Come on, give me a break. :roll:

Oh how quickly you all forget it was Mic & co. who pulled off the masterstroke of signing Price then Wiki. Management will keep on getting rid of the unwanted until this team becomes a competitive machine. It's just a hangover from last season.

I feel Management have another plan up their sleeves, so I wouldn't keep crying about it if I were some of you.

Whats that plan Warrior?

Another signing?

The only player they can get NOW is a player out of contract and in most cases either not wanted or in retirement.

If they had a plan up their sleeve so to speak as in to replace Vinnie Anderson, he was going at the end of this year anyway so they could have used the room under the cap for next year.

I was talking about a plan for June 30th this year. There is a lot of class coming on to the market. I think the club would be dreaming if they were hunting for SBW. It'll take a Price or Wiki type pay packet to draw the likes of SBW or Big Willie, not sure if the club has enough under the cap to cater for another high profile signing.

More heads could roll though, depends how big the plan is.

bayrep

Juniors
Have you guys read the article on Stacy in the Herald today? I thought it came across very positive. From mem last year Stacy seemed to be the barometer on the feeling in the club and you would not have got an article like this from Stacy last year.

I don’t agree with how Anderson was dropped but it has also been a big media beat-up as well. Maybe it was time for Anderson to go, you get the feeling through Stacy that the club is all good.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
NZ Warrior said:
I was talking about a plan for June 30th this year. There is a lot of class coming on to the market. I think the club would be dreaming if they were hunting for SBW. It'll take a Price or Wiki type pay packet to draw the likes of SBW or Big Willie, not sure if the club has enough under the cap to cater for another high profile signing.

More heads could roll though, depends how big the plan is.
How did sacking Vinnie help this cause?He had already stated he didn't want to sign past 2005. If the club want s to bid for SBW come June 30 then they'll be bidding for his contract in 2006- they won't be needing Vinnie's salary to pay him til then anyway, unless they are planning to chuck a big wad of cash at him when he's still at the Dogs, and I'm not sure as to the legality of that.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
LeagueNut said:
Thierry Henry said:

If Toopi didn't improve ths season, I wouldn't have wanted Vinnie replacing him anyway. The guy is NOT a centre.

True. I actually thought Vinnie played some terrible games at centre last year. It was only later in the season when he started playing in the backrow, or coming off the bench to play in the backrow, that he came into his own. I remember being at the Souths game where he played particularly well. But I guess it's no good discussing this now that he's gone. Who are our back-up centres now? Meli? Vatuvei?

LeagueNut

First Grade
If Tony Martin & Clinton Toopi are first-choice centres now, then I guess the back-ups would be Meli & Todd Byrne. Outside of that we might try Faumuina or Ropati, or one of the plethora of rookies knocking on the door.

Latest posts