What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strongman Jason Nightingale is NRL's pocket rocket

RedVDave

First Grade
WE CAN'T tell you how Jason Nightingale's teammates describe his strength, because it's politically incorrect.

Let's just say it's abnormal. He's punching above his weight.

"Put it this way," says Wendell Sailor, who retired at the end of last season to make way for Nightingale. "Lote Tuqiri isn't going to get his own way when he comes up against him on Saturday night.

"He is very strong. Rubber limbs. And it is going to take a lot of work from Lote to pull him down when he has the ball. He'll have to respect him."

Respect is something that Nightingale has earned spades of this season.

He had big shorts to fill when he replaced Sailor on the right wing. Despite his slender appearance, he has filled them.

Nightingale earned it last year, too, as he warmed the bench, patiently waiting for his chance, knowing he would've walked into a starting side elsewhere but never wanting to play anywhere else. He and Mark Gasnier come from the same junior club of Renown United.

"I knew I had to bide my time a little bit while the big man was still at the club," Nightingale says calmly of Sailor.

As he sits here, high in the stands of WIN Stadium, it is hard to conjure images of his Superman-like strength.

Then again, the evidence is on the green turf and the single-minded way he carries the ball.

Like the times when he has two or three defenders clinging to him and he shrugs them off and pops an unexpected pass.

"Or like against Manly in the first week of the semis," recalls Sailor.

"When he got through three or four blokes to get out of the in-goal. He's very strong."

Tell Nightingale about the term his teammates use to describe his strength, and he replies: "What is it? Being small and still being strong?

"I think it's probably because I'm unorthodox.

"I'm relatively strong in the gym, but not overly. It's something that's always been there with me naturally. I am probably more powerful than I am strong. It comes from genes."

Those genes come off the wind and rain and snow-battered west coast of New Zealand's South Island. "That's Dad's side," he says of father Kev.

"He's pretty strong. That's a rough area. Big farmer Cantabrians who are west-coast settlers. I never grew up on a farm, but it's in the blood."

Dragons performance director Jeremy Hickmans explains it this way: "He's one of those players who looks ugly when he does things but is very effective on the field. Initially it surprised me how strong he is.

"When he's training you think, 'You've got a bit of work to do'. He's certainly one of those guys who you stick on a bench press and he isn't fantastic.

"You look at his running technique. It's ugly but effective. His wrestling technique is the same, but he's strong at it.

"It's the way he uses that strength is the thing."

Of course, Nightingale will need all of that politically incorrect strength against Tuqiri in tomorrow night's preliminary final at ANZ Stadium.

"Every time we speak to a fan they are asking the question," he says of the mounting expectation. "There are people who have been watching us for 30 years who have passed that baggage on to us."

Baggage? Despite appearances, Nightingale is apparently strong enough to carry it.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ls-pocket-rocket/story-e6frexnr-1225928583827

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Used to go to school with my wife. Was apparently a bit of a terror then but has changed since and she happily reports is a very nice guy these days!

One of my favourite players and seems like a really decent guy too! Had a laugh with him at the fan day last year. Would love to sit down and have a beer with hiim..

Divine

Bench
Run Gaz at Nui, Tuquiri comes in to help , long ball to Nightingale. Copy of St Benny's gameplan was accidently left at the front desk at the club. Luckily I found it and not some Tiger fan. Couldn't resist having a peek.

TheRev

First Grade
That would require Gaz to pass the ball three times.
Precisely lol.. Gaz rarely passes early, he will try to make a break himself or if tackled, slip a miracle ball-away, I mean its all good thats kind of his job, but it does stifle us sometimes..

Cagey Mac

Bench
That’s probably a little unfair
Colin Best averaged 1 try every 1.73 games outside Gaz
His try rate at Canberra was 1 every 2.44 games and
at Souths, 1 every 4.44 games so he was getting better
service outside Gaz than anyone else in the NRL
No reason to think that he Nighty won’t also benefit from
Gaz, especially as he get a little longer in the tooth and likes
to run a little less

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Nighty is a freak and a very valuable asset to the team. My favourite player by far. The Saints have the 2 best wingers in the comp. I would not replace them with anyone. I know I am being biased but seriously who would you replace them with if you could have anyone?

j0nesy

Bench
Yep, been a big fan of his for a few years now. Even last year when he was on the bench. Good player, good bloke.

AJH

Juniors
Nighty's been one of my favourites since I saw him in the 2005 Jersey Flegg team. Doesn't have the raw skill of others but just seems to love playing the game. Last year playing any position (even prop at one point) he just gave everything he had for the team. Would always be one of my first picked.
Cheers
AJ

grandorient

Bench
Nighty is a freak and a very valuable asset to the team. My favourite player by far. The Saints have the 2 best wingers in the comp. I would not replace them with anyone. I know I am being biased but seriously who would you replace them with if you could have anyone?

They are the two best wingers without a doubt.

But then, look at our fullback, and two centres. Quite frankly, I wouldn't change them either.

It's a great feeling going into the final series, knowing you have arguably the best 4 at the back, in the NRL.

GO

Fingerbang

Bench
They are the two best wingers without a doubt.

But then, look at our fullback, and two centres. Quite frankly, I wouldn't change them either.

It's a great feeling going into the final series, knowing you have arguably the best 4 at the back, in the NRL.

GO
That's 5 GO

Precisely lol.. Gaz rarely passes early, he will try to make a break himself or if tackled, slip a miracle ball-away, I mean its all good thats kind of his job, but it does stifle us sometimes..

I don't really get this. I can't see how you can stifle the attack by not passing to a winger and running yourself. You only have one man outside you and if you just pass it to him for no reason he just gets tackled or potentially put over the sideline. A good centre will only ever pass to his winger if he is unmarked or may squeeze his way over the line. Its the reason why Gaz plays one inside Nightingale- because of his ability to set up his outside man. We saw him do it against the roosters and against souths. This year he has shown moments of sheer class. At his worst this year he is still the best centre in the game. His defense has come a long way under Bennett as well. But i put that down to attitude.

TonyDragons1

Juniors
No doubt Flo is a robust character, he has done some amazing things this year and will be an integral part of our winning game plan over the next two weeks.

Minh

First Grade
Great team player and a very intelligent footballer, does all the little things right and the guy's skills is very under rated (the guys got great hands) but not by I guess Saints fans. Does not have the flair of Morris but just as good overall, these two are definately the best two wing combinations in the comp.

Latest posts