What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart fires back at Bennett

Razor said:
What Stuart says is true. Bennett cannot coach. If he doesn't have the players he can't win. A great coach can take a bunch of players and lift them above their ability. Bennett can't do that.

Or rather, we don't know if he can do it -- because he has never stepped out of his comfort zone and tried to do it, unlike, say, Sheens and Gould, both of whom took struggling teams and elevated them to at or near the top.

Nevcost

Juniors
Razor said:
What Stuart says is true. Bennett cannot coach. If he doesn't have the players he can't win. A great coach can take a bunch of players and lift them above their ability. Bennett can't do that.

So what name when Ricky was able to do it besides when he had the players (eg. NSW). With the Roosters, they only went well when he had Freddy Fittler, after that the roosters went to sh*te.

OVP

Coach
Renowned League Expert said:
Or rather, we don't know if he can do it -- because he has never stepped out of his comfort zone and tried to do it, unlike, say, Sheens and Gould, both of whom took struggling teams and elevated them to at or near the top.

Take a look at our 2002 Grand Final winning team. The ONLY Rep players we had in 2002 were Fittler(actually thats not true, Fittler retired from Rep footy in 2002 but came back later), Ricketson and Fletcher.

But since then Stuart has coached Chris Flannery, Jason Cayless, Anthony Minichiello, Michael Crocker, Ryan Cross (minor Reps, but is due for the big time soon), Craig Wing (he NEVER represented under Gould or Murray), Brett Finch (only due to having 5 other halves out at the time, but still did very well at origin level i thought), Craig Fitzgibbon to much higher honours. ALL these players benifitted greatly from just one year of Stuart's coaching. And lets not beat about the bush, Dean Pay and John Cartwright helped out superbly as well. Im wondering if i left anyone out though ...

Expect Isosa Soliola to Rep for NZ next year as well, the kid is a freak.

Anyone who thinks Stuart cant coach is delusional. He turned our club around from pretty good to damned terrifying in one year. Winning a comp is the hardest thing to do, and any coach who has done it is a damn fine coach, INCLUDING WAYNE BENNETT.

gallagher

Juniors
I dont care what Stuart said or thinks of Bennett but it was great to read what he said about the kangaroo tourists. Maybe form will important next year.

OVP

Coach
gallagher said:
I dont care what Stuart said or thinks of Bennett but it was great to read what he said about the kangaroo tourists. Maybe form will important next year.

I bet Stuart would have had a few more Premier players in the team than Bennett did i.e Tigers players. Look at NSW this year ... he got pasted but picked alot more form players than Gould ever did.

Michelle Leslie

Juniors
fiamacho said:
Yes you do Ricky ... ha ha ha ... There is no doubt that Ricky Stuart is a good Coach but from time to time he does suffer from "Oral Metatarsalgia" ... ha ha ha ...

what the hell does inflammed metatarsals(sore feet) to do with Ricky Stuarts response to Wayne Bennets criticism.

i am all up for colourful English but that is one is a cracker.

Nonsense.

innsaneink

Referee
Michelle Leslie said:
what the hell does inflammed metatarsals(sore feet) to do with Ricky Stuarts response to Wayne Bennets criticism.

Nonsense.

Just some dickhead being too clever for his own good...methinks some foot in mouth reference was being made.

Hilarious

#-o

Misty Bee

First Grade
Interesting to note that when Bennet was coaching Canberra (as understudy to Don Furner), Ricky Stuart was a fresh faced up and coming player.

Bennet's handling of the media in the last 2 months has been as deft as a Martin Lang sidestep and as positive as a Warran Ryan grand final gameplan. He's been the utter goose of Australian Sport - first of all predicting that his side would lose, and then doing a Christopher Skase when we did. Stupid enough, except then he comes out in the press and claims the game is awash with booze (without consulting the ARL about any such problem). This made tee-totallers like Steve Price to have to come out and squash the innuendoes. Then Bennet snipes at his sucessor in the press.

Has any other Australian coach acted this way? No. Even Chris Anderson - the poor sod that history will forever saddle with this famous quote: "I will win the premiership at Cronulla" - has 2 things up on Benny the grump.

1) He didn't lose, and

2) He didn't bag his sucessor.

As Stuart said - for a bloke that hates the media so much, he certainly likes using it when he has an axe to grind.

Wayne Bennet WAS a great coach. So was Jack Gibson, Harry Bath, Ron Willey....

OVP

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Interesting to note that when Bennet was coaching Canberra (as understudy to Don Furner), Ricky Stuart was a fresh faced up and coming player.

Bennet's handling of the media in the last 2 months has been as deft as a Martin Lang sidestep and as positive as a Warran Ryan grand final gameplan. He's been the utter goose of Australian Sport - first of all predicting that his side would lose, and then doing a Christopher Skase when we did. Stupid enough, except then he comes out in the press and claims the game is awash with booze (without consulting the ARL about any such problem). This made tee-totallers like Steve Price to have to come out and squash the innuendoes. Then Bennet snipes at his sucessor in the press.

Has any other Australian coach acted this way? No. Even Chris Anderson - the poor sod that history will forever saddle with this famous quote: "I will win the premiership at Cronulla" - has 2 things up on Benny the grump.

1) He didn't lose, and

As Stuart said - for a bloke that hates the media so much, he certainly likes using it when he has an axe to grind.

Nice post Misty :) But i feel sorry for Chris Anderson. He would have delivered a Cronulla premiership by now, but the board are just like Souths ... used to losing and therefore a winner stood NO CHANCE. Peas in a pod, those two teams :)

Misanthrope

Staff member
Ask anyone who knows me and they'll confirm that I dislike Stuart immensely, but everything he has to say up there is 100% spot on. There were players in that squad who had no right to be based on their season form, and others who just didn't seem to think that international football was important anymore. New Zealand showed up wanting to win and put us to the sword, and I for one don't want to hear us making similar excuses next year.

Stuart instilled passion into a New South Wales side that's been riding the 'favourites' tag for a few years now, and hopefully he can do the same thing to the Kangaroos.

fiamacho

Juniors
Razor said:
I say you can't read. Show me the quotation marks around the statement that I typed. Stuart said that but not using those words. If it was using those words I'd have used quotation marks, as required under Proper English.

Read it again, or get someone else to read it because you made quite a few spelling and grammatical errors in those 2 sentences you wrote. Then you can apologise.

Razor you are tosser, tossa, t-o-s-s-e-r or why don't I use use just plain DICKHEAD, but then again "Ink Stain" will get offended. It does not say that you ignoramus, and since this is NOT the Forum 7's forum then stop looking for "cheap pops" on the grammatical errors ... C-L-O-W-N !!!

Apologise you can kiss my ass.

fiamacho

Juniors
Michelle Leslie said:

Nonsense.

OK let me spell it out for you "FOOT AND MOUTH DISEASE" ... I thought you being a woman you would of known the true meaning of the word "Oral".

Green Machine

First Grade
Razor said:
Take a look at the players he had.
Take a look at all those players he developed besides Mal Meninga, that went on to play in winning Winfield Cup/NRL Grand Finals, State of Origin and International Teams,

Green Machine

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Wrong on both accounts Misty. The Canberra players we going to revolt if Wayne Bennett was not brought to the club. Some players were sick of road runs and wanted to skills training. Wayne did all the coaching and Don looked after the PR. Ricky Stuart did not sign for the Raiders until mid 1988. In 1988, Wayne was coaching the Broncos,
Misty Bee said:
Bennet's handling of the media in the last 2 months has been as deft as a Martin Lang sidestep and as positive as a Warran Ryan grand final gameplan. He's been the utter goose of Australian Sport - first of all predicting that his side would lose, and then doing a Christopher Skase when we did. .
I thought he handled the dills in the media quite well,
Misty Bee said:
Stupid enough, except then he comes out in the press and claims the game is awash with booze (without consulting the ARL about any such problem). This made tee-totallers like Steve Price to have to come out and squash the innuendoes. Then Bennet snipes at his sucessor in the press.
I thought he was defending himself with these stupid comments that Ricky tough with player discipline,
Misty Bee said:
Has any other Australian coach acted this way?.
Bob Fulton?
Misty Bee said:
No. Even Chris Anderson - the poor sod that history will forever saddle with this famous quote: "I will win the premiership at Cronulla" - has 2 things up on Benny the grump.

1) He didn't lose, and

Not as well loved as Ricky. Ricky is a darling of the Telegraph. He even writes a column for them. If Rebecca Wilson had her way, Laurie Daley and him would be nominated for Nobel Peace Prizes,
Misty Bee said:
Not Guilty Misty

Razor

Coach
fiamacho said:
Razor you are tosser, tossa, t-o-s-s-e-r or why don't I use use just plain DICKHEAD, but then again "Ink Stain" will get offended. It does not say that you ignoramus, and since this is NOT the Forum 7's forum then stop looking for "cheap pops" on the grammatical errors ... C-L-O-W-N !!!

Apologise you can kiss my ass.

Why don't you criticise the people that pointed out my grammatical errors, even though I had none? That's why I responded with their grammatical errors. They said I was making a direct quote from Stuart, and the fact I didn't use quotation marks. In fact I wasn't making a direct quote.

The grammatical errors part is the whole point of the reply since they were wrong in a grammatical way.

to the guys on this forum that say bennett can't coach unless he has superior players...look at his record at origin level. Those series wins were with inferior player talent compared to NSW.

gallagher

Juniors
harmichael_punt_ said:
to the guys on this forum that say bennett can't coach unless he has superior players...look at his record at origin level. Those series wins were with inferior player talent compared to NSW.

Thats true, queenslanders are inferior to us..............

Michelle Leslie

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Just some dickhead being too clever for his own good...methinks some foot in mouth reference was being made.

Hilarious

#-o

indeed,

however the inference of the inflammation has me confused.

Richard Head would be more apt, simple anatomy there..but the swelling of the joints got me blindsided.

Thanks for the heads up

Merry Jihad.

Razor

Coach
harmichael_punt_ said:

That's what most people think but look at all the times the Test team was picked. The QLDers were saying how much better players they had and therefore should dominate the Test team.

So the QLDers themselves said they had superior players.

Rammo

Juniors
Razor said:

Neither can Stuart.

Latest posts